It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My son was just kicked off his school bus for 10 days

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

You couldn't be more wrong.

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Fools

But that's every kid.

The vast majority have no filter. Hence the saying "Kids say the damnedest things."

My brother was "diagnosed" with ADHD, when in reality he is just a worthless dirtbag oxygen thief.

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

"Is he allowed to have sexy pictures of scantily clad women at school/on the bus? Or are they prohibited? "

Every kid has a cell phone these days (he is 14) and thus they all have access to the internet. I am sure there are worse things than that going on.

To everyone, my son has issues. He has always had difficulty at school. He gets in more trouble than other kids because of his issues. We tell him that he is always in the limelight because of this. He seems to be slowly understanding this the more trouble he gets in. I do not feel sorry for him, but most of the stuff he has gotten in trouble with at school has been things of the nature I have described.

As for my parenting skills I have an older son that is 22 and he never did anything like that. I also have an 11 year old daughter that is an academic star. There is no telling what genetics will hand out to you when you decide to have children. For those of you that do have children that never act up, that's great. I have two that are very good children. I raised them all the same. Why he is so different, I cant tell you. Neither can his therapist nor his psychiatrist.

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   

This same son, the ADHD son placed state in wrestling 2 times. 1 time was the first year he wrestled. Some people are just sort of an enigma.

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Kindness and respect for others is something that (ideally) shouldn't be enforced by authorites, but rather taught at home by parents. To answer poster above, yes, saying that somebody has werewolf arms is offensive and isn't kind but really should have been dealt with at home.

A boy in my step-daughter's kindergarten class made fun of her "mustache" and made her feel really bad about herself so much so that my mother in law (against my knowledge and will) shaved her five year old face and I don't think that is the proper way to treat others about things they have no control over. It made me sick actually to know that she is already falling into the pressure to present a "perfect" image of herself to others and that she is somehow abnormal for looking the way she does naturally. She is now in 4th grade and has become a beautiful and confident girl, but more importantly, she is smart and respectful. I hope she always stays that way.

But it is probably not something the school should be involved in, rather conscientious parenting about the rules of common respect. I will not in any way encourage my own children to be rude toward others.

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler
I respect you, Schuyler, and you have great insight into many different topics. I do, however, take issue with your suggestion that because ADHD is a relatively newly diagnosed medical condition it is somehow a reflection on the parents. In my opinion, the school made a decision to favor religious beliefs over accommodating a disability.

Until you know a child with ADHD or similar behavioral conditions (or have one of your own to deal with), it is not easy to understand how difficult it is to provide incentives to change their behavior. I'm not saying it is impossible... every child is different and some may be more able to integrate into groups of "able-minded/bodied" children than others.

The federal Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) requires that public schools address the special needs of all children with disabilities, including children with ADHD. Special accommodations, such as extra time on tests, simply level the playing field so that kids with ADHD can learn as successfully as their classmates.

When a child with ADHD blurts things out or gets out of his seat in class, it's not because he hasn't been taught that these behaviors are wrong. It's because he cannot control his impulses. The problem is rooted in brain chemistry, not discipline. In fact, overly strict parenting - which may involve punishing a child for things he can't control - can actually make ADHD symptoms worse. Professional interventions, such as drug therapy, psychotherapy, and behavior modification therapy, are usually required.

edit on 10282016 by seattlerat because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   
OP needs to teach child appropriate boundaries.

He obviously has a problem.

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

Coming from an adult who struggles with ADD daily it's not an excuse. It's a very real thing.

I'm also very offended and think you should be kicked off this post. (Kidding)

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Any kind of "minority"(the right kind of minority,you know,like muslim,black,hispanic) child/group of children in a public school will be pampered by the school administration.

If your child were physically attacked by a group of muslim kids(it's almost always groups attacking a single child)-the school would do nothing to the group but still throw YOUR kid out.

White children are to be hated in public schools-and in college now,as well.

edit on 28-10-2016 by Picklesneeze because: mispelled kind

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

Thankyou. I thought it was BS as well until I had one. He learned to walk at 7 months. He was climbing everything at 9 months. He woke up at 6 am and would rarely take naps. He never went to sleep until 10 PM. He tests with difficulty, always has. He has bizarre physical strength. He has always had definite anger management issues.
However, when he gets interested in anything he can somehow do it better than even most adults. For instance, he taught himself origami and within a month or so made a dragon that was 6 foot long. He has won several awards for art projects. And then suddenly he will lose interest and then thats when the problems start. He is wicked clever as well. It's a strange thing. Some months he will make all A's and the next multiple F's.
He has about 50 medals for wrestling. And believe me, wrestling is not a sport where kids get medals just for showing up. I am proud of the kid, but he is definitely hard to understand.

I see some changes coming on with him and I think its because he is in puberty and starting to embarrass himself. Girls are starting to matter to him - so he is really worried about fitting in now. That is something that seemed to never matter to him before.

Anyway, its sort of like having someone with adult knowledge, infantile emotions, and teenage needs. Its messy.

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Picklesneeze

Any kind of "minority"(the right kind of minority,you know,like muslim,black,hispanic) child/group of children in a public school will be pampered by the school administration.

If your child were physically attacked by a group of muslim kids(it's almost always groups attacking a single child)-the school would do nothing to the group but still throw YOUR kid out.

My retail shop is directly across from a elementary school. I watch the kids, teachers, parents all day long from my office window. No one is hated; not the white, Hispanic or Native American kids. They all seem to have fun and get along fine. Right wing crybaby hyperbole is so stupid, especially when wrapped in racism and division.
edit on 28-10-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: 123143

What do you suggest I do? Since you seem to know what to do.

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I was one of the very few white kids in almost all black schools in Memphis.

The blood that was spilled from my body from being constantly attacked by groups of usually older blacks was not "Right wing crybaby hyperbole".

Sometimes I read comments from "people" like you and wish that the kind of attacks I endured as a child (for being white) would happen just once to liberal apologists like you.

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

My retail shop is directly across from a elementary school. I watch the kids, teachers, parents all day long from my office window. No one is hated. Right wing crybaby hyperbole is so stupid.

He does have a point, would this even matter if my son showed this picture to anyone else? I think there is a definite double standard on alot of issues these days. It is sort of like people wondering why politics has all these sexual callouts these days. It is because our culture has become hyper-sexual. Same with race issues. Our culture is hyper-racial.

Is that a good thing? I don't think so, civilizations do not need these ideas to exist and it has never been shown to make a society flourish.

In reality every since our cultural revolution in the 1960's everything has become more about the individual and his or her feelings and how they can be gratified while existing as little meat puppets on this wonderful planet. So that sort of idea gets mirrored back onto everyone that has this cultural way about them whether it something that matters or not. I have no idea really where this sort of thing should belong. I am to the point where I don't really care. All this howling about racism and so on is just tiring. If I keep getting called a racist, even though I am not one in my reality, maybe its better to just allow the people calling me one know that if they see me as one, that is just fine by me.

Reality is that you have just lost a very sane person to communicate with.

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   

I was one of the very few white kids in almost all black schools in Memphis.

The blood that was spilled from my body from being constantly attacked by groups of usually older blacks was not "Right wing crybaby hyperbole".

Sometimes I read comments from "people" like you and wish that the kind of attacks I endured as a child (for being white) would happen just once to liberal apologists like you.

You're the one that made the broad generalization....

I'm sorry your school experience was so terrible but your comment was based on your environment not the overall reality.

And this is one "liberal apologist" that has spilled blood in the military.

edit on 28-10-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I am so sorry this happened to you and your son. Above all I hope he knows he's done nothing wrong.

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fools

Of course it needs to be known that earlier in the year he told some girl that she had werewolf arms and got kicked off the bus for that as well.
He has ADHD pretty bad and sometimes his filter does not exist.

Who actually cares? Kids talk like that. I got worse things said to me in school, and I'm sure I said worse things to other kids as well.

This is a perfect example of why more parents are turning to home schooling.

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Picklesneeze

You are not alone in having been forced to endure these types of attacks. The first 3 years of my schooling were wonderful while attending the elementary school just a short walk from where I was growing up. Then, beginning with the 3rd grade, I was "forced" to endure a 2-hour round trip bus ride to a "desegregated" school on the other side of town.

Until this happened I had no concept of race, but then the daily beatings/harassment/abuse began. From that point on my education was less about learning and more about survival. I had my head-cracked open from being pushed, and even was nearly suffocated by being lynched from behind. There was no punishment for the attackers and this just made things even more horrible for me as I had to constantly be on guard for reprisals and the next attack.

I wonder how my life might be different today if I had been able to continue attending a local school or if my parents had been wealthy enough to send me to a private institutional learning facility. Times have changed since the 70's, I think, and now this sort of thing probably would not have been tolerated/ignored/swept aside. But, we have gone the other direction- schools/teachers/administrators overreact to the slightest hint of mischief. Apparently it is easier to get rid of the problem than to address the underlying issues. They probably also don't want to get entangled in lengthy/costly legal battles. I'm not smart enough to know what the answer (if there is one) might be, but something has gotta give.

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 04:56 PM
link   

My retail shop is directly across from a elementary school. I watch the kids, teachers, parents all day long from my office window. No one is hated. Right wing crybaby hyperbole is so stupid.

I interact with children of all ages in my community service, but on my job they are primarily age 14 to 24. I am frequently amazed at how often you can't tell the difference between the 14 year old and the 24 year old. I will admit that on my job, the young people I am working with have just suffered a trauma, and the neurobiology of trauma can severely alter how a person would behave under normal circumstances, so I may not be seeing their true personalities at the time of the encounter.

Young people are growing up in a society where they believe the only thing that is important, is what "they" want, and they think they need. Commonsense very seldom comes into play. Filters have become nonexistent, and any and all behavior is being touted as appropriated as long as you are being true to self.

I too have not noticed any racism, xenophobia, or bigotry among the young in my area. They still congregate in groups, but color, race, or religion doesn't seem to be the defining factors for their pairing. They largely communicate by text, even if they are sitting next to each other. The biggest problem that I see with this, is that it makes it even more difficult for the parents to know what their children are doing, saying and thinking.

Children seem to be developing their social mores and behavior standards from their connections with social media. Parents can't watch everything their children do, or monitor their internet activity all the time. Most parents would be surprised to find out what their little darlings are up to the majority of their day.

Some of the things I have seen the Cyber IT guys pull from children's cell phones is astounding. Recently they pulled off pictures from the phone of a 10 year girl, showing herself near nude. She sent them to a 10 year old boy at her school that she liked because she said he was her boyfriend. Do you know what kind of trouble this kind of thing can bring into the lives of both of these children?

I feel so sorry for parents today. Being a parent has always been a challenge, but I am so glad that I don't have to try to raise children during these times.

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 05:01 PM
link   

(ATS Staff: This video is making fun of the idiocy of our nation and in support of the OP's post. While I don't have all of the information regarding the event that transpired, I am attempting to enlighten a serious situation with ridiculous satire to illuminate others who view this as a serious situation. I am not attempting to ridicule the OP - far from it - I am restating the idea that we have lost our sense of humility as a species. While explaining this video, I am likely tipping my hat in terms of my opinion - which should be mine, but it's not - I will lower myself to the standards in order to meet your requirements....crap....there goes my post.)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join