It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

What is the best food to eat to keep mosquitoes away?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I asked myself what would mosquitoes hate the most, and since they go for the blood like vampires do, I guessed Garlic would be appropriate for a food to eat that would give them pause to stick their stingers in me, turns out I was right, but there are other foods that can be effective for keeping them at bay, to STAY AWAY!

Here is the list as provided from my search on Googlooo:

Garlic. Several days before you take a camping or hiking trip into bug-filled territory, start eating garlic.

And,
... Milk.
... Salt.
... Olive Oil.
... Onions.
... Orange and Lemon Peels.
... Apple Cider Vinegar.
... Vanilla.

Of course a couple of these may, also, keep your significant other away,too, LOL!

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: searcherfortruth

I use Citronella and Lemon balm. They both work pretty good.

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Onions, garlic, and salt feature in most of my cooking. And I drink a fair bit of milk. And still I remain a mosquito magnet.

My blood is just THAT good! I've been at barbeques before where I'm the only person getting attacked. Who needs citronella and other assorted deterrents when there is a Kaelci around to lure them away from everyone!

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I've been on fishing trips in Northern Minnesota where the skeeters were just evil. Not only were they huge, they were
insanely persistent. They'd buzz around you, "scanning" for exposed skin that didn't have repellent on it.
The garlic and spicy foods didn't deter them, however, we would be so full of high-octane firewater that some of them probably died from alcohol poisoning, The preferred Deep Woods Off repellent slowed them down a tad.

Bad skeeter humor:

I've tried every repellent there is, but you just can't beat OFF!

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Garlic has to be the biggy, chomp on the stuff days before you head for mosquito land.

Edit here's a plethora of ideas,

Garlic.
Milk.
Salt.
Olive oil.
Onions.
Orange and lemon peels.
Apple cider vinegar.
Vanilla.

They won't do you any good though, neither will the booze

The Boss says the right clothes will.
edit on 28-10-2016 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Jdennis10

Oh God, I can't stand the smell of citronella. Rather have the Garlic and Onions! LOL!

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

They are attracted to dark colors I am told!

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Vitamin b complex. The supplements themselves smell funny. They make your blood smell funny too. Mosquitos will just buzz around me and never bite.

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

I am allergic to that stuff, among many other things, I guess you have to rub the Garlic all over you rather than ingest it only, LOL!

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyosaurus

Okay, vitamin supplements is another way to go, just have to be careful not to take too much, in high doses those things can be bad for you, I think.

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: kaelci

Yeah some things just taste too good even for the mosquitoes to get the hint! LOL!

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyosaurus

True. The first time I went trekking around asia I was given a massive B12 injection. The doc told me it was to keep the mossies at bay.

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Vitamin b is water soluble. So any excess is peed out coloring your urine dark, but that is about it.

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   
quinine

The chemical in tonic water.
I heard some story about it being discovered during the development of the Keys, when the Gin and tonic drinking Brits were the only ones not being eaten alive by the Malaria skeeters.

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Baked beans, also I hear if you eat enough of them it will to keep bears away.

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Low carb for a few days beforehand, so you don't smell "sweet" to the mosquitoes. No joke, either!

Sal

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Definitely not bananas. The little buggers will be all over you. The garlic/vampire thing made me chuckle. I supposed it would work though. Fleas and ticks supposedly don't like it either.

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Maybe if you daub them on your skin.

There is nothing you can eat that will stop mosquitoes from eating you.

How do I know? I have lived most of my life in a country that was finally declared malaria-free by the WHO only a few weeks ago. Malaria helped bring down the ancient civilization of my country. As recently as the 1940s epidemic death-tolls were in the 100,000s.

Filariasis, dengue and other mosquito-borne diseases are also highly prevalent here. It's mosquito central. If there was any dietary means of keeping mosquitoes off, we'd know it.

I have travelled widely in Asia. Never have I heard of a culture in which people kept mosquitoes off by eating or drinking things.

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 12:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

Sorry, you're wrong. Quinine doesn't stop mosquitoes from biting. It helps prevent, and reduces the symptoms of, malaria. Unfortunately it also makes pale skins extra-sensitive to sunlight, which is why white imperialists wore big, silly hats.

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 01:19 AM
link   
It smells horrible but Neem oil is very effective. You can dilute it with some other oil or water. Eucalyptus is also effective.

They also sell these traps that use moist warm air mixed with something else.
edit on 29-10-2016 by nOraKat because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join