It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

UPS announces surprise 747 order

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   
In a surprise move, UPS has announced a firm order for 14 747-8F aircraft, with an option for 14 more. This almost doubles the 747 backlog for Boeing. The first two aircraft are expected to be delivered by the end of 2017, and they will be used on international routes, allowing the 747-400s in their fleet to be moved to domestic routes.

This is big news for Boeing, who recently announced they were reducing production on 747s to half an aircraft a month. The current backlog stands at 15, with some aircraft that were ordered no longer being wanted by the airlines that ordered them. These will be the first widebody aircraft ordered by UPS since they cancelled their A380F order.

www.flightglobal.com...

www.flightglobal.com...

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Just read about this yesterday. How they had an order for something like 4, with 1 cancellation until this order came in. This should be a good size boost for Boeing.

The thing that I wonder is why the talks of retiring planes that work perfectly fine, like the A-10 for instance. I think the article said something about 2018 for the 747.
edit on 28-10-2016 by iTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: iTruthSeeker

It won't save the 747, but it extends it out to where Boeing was trying to get it to, so that's a huge boost for them.

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 10:24 AM
link   

So which plane this size will be it's replacement?

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: iTruthSeeker

The new 777 family. The 777-8 will hold 350-375 over 8700 nm, and the 777-9 will hold 400-425 over 7500 nm. If they go with the 10, which they have said can be done, then they'll get up to 450, and compete with the A380.

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Personally this makes me happy.

The 747 is still in my mind the undisputed queen of the airliners.

I have fond memories of her from childhood where id excitedly rush to go look at any 747 i coyld get my eyes on. I still get that feeling whenever i see her.

Anything that keeps her in production is a good thing.

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

It makes me happy, because I can get up to the line tour again with the other half and let her see them still building them. That's half the fun of the tour.

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   

I remember as a kid my dad had a friend who would load the film in the movie projectors at lax let me do a ride along. I was 8 and he had to load the film into a empty 747. I was in heaven. An excited 8 year old running up and down the empty isles. Id enjoy going to the factory and see them doing a build.

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I remember when the first 747 took off from Boeing Field in 1969 cars on interstate 5, which runs right past the airport, would stop so people could watch it fly. I remember it being unbelievably huge. For awhile the 747 was the only plane that used the Pratt & Whitney JT9D-3A engines, which had a distinctive whine. You could tell a 747 just by the sound.

Ironically, the 747 caused the recession Seattle experienced during this time. Boeing had bet the company on increased passenger traffic, which did not materialize. Boeing went from about 120,000 employees to a little over 35,000 in just a few months. People abandoned equity in their houses and just left. Someone put up a billboard that said "Will the last one to leave (Seattle) please turn out the lights." Many guys I graduated high school with went directly to work for the "Lazy B" and they all lost their jobs shortly after. It was pretty grim times in the area for quite awhile. I remember traveling to Georgia and seeing 'help wanted" signs in store windows and being amazed. I hadn't seen one in years.

new topics

top topics

join