It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swifts set record by flying 10 months non-stop

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Just a little info on an amazing little bird breaking a record of longest airtime .

SOURCE

The common swift stays constantly airborne for up to ten months at a time, new research reveals.

The bird, ubiquitous in the UK and Europe, conserves energy by riding currents of hot air and taking “power naps” as it slowly glides from high altitudes.

Scientists tracked 19 of the creatures as they completed two of their annual migratory cycles to Central Africa via West Africa and found three did not once touch the ground.

While there have been other examples of birds remaining in flight for periods of months, the evidence on common swifts sets a new record, the researchers say.

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 04:49 AM
link   
What? How?

Ten months without food ..... I don't think that is possible.

What, do they fly through clouds with their little beaks open to get water.

This is just silly.

Yes, I read the bit about catching flying insects. I just think their equipment is suspect.

ETA. Wouldn't it be really funny if just a few of these birds started hitching rides on boats or trucks. Their equipment would show the bird as flying when they are not.

P

edit on 28/10/2016 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

edit on 28/10/2016 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Swifts are my favourite bird. I love to watch and hear them screeching and screaming over my house in the Summer evenings.

Here's the RSPB on swifts

Sadly in the UK swifts are declining, with the likely cause being the intensification of agriculture. This also affects a number of bird species, but that's for another thread.

originally posted by: pheonix358
Ten months without food ..... I don't think that is possible.

They eat on the wing. They sleep while flying. They mate on the wing. They fly above storms. They only land to build a nest and raise young.
edit on 28/10/2016 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 05:05 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

I am pretty sure based on the shape of the beak that they are insect eaters. Flying insect eaters.

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 06:38 AM
link   
"Scientists have collected locusts flying at heights of 14,764 feet (4,500 m); true bugs, stoneflies, mayflies, and caddisflies at altitudes over 16,404 feet (5,000 m); and flies and butterflies over 19,685 feet (6,000 m), according to Michael Dillon, a researcher with the Department of Zoology and Physiology at the University of Wyoming".~livescience

www.livescience.com...

Well the food source is there i suppose. Absolutely amazing.

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 08:02 AM
link   
What amazing little birds. Sad to hear they are declining. Damn humans.

top topics

join