It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists say weird signals from space are ‘probably’ aliens

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Hate to say it, but already posted.

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 01:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: nightbringr

originally posted by: FamCore
a reply to: Xcathdra

this is epic. I hope they bring some space weed

Isn't that called 'They're coming, they're coming! ' ?

Cool stuff though. Would be interesting if more astrologists can verify the findings!

Wrong profession, unless you want a zodiac reading.

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 01:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

-IMO-
There are probably advanced communities communicating with each other across vast (or not vast) distances. We're merely tapping into bits and pieces of what spills in our direction. The Universe is teaming with life. Most communications are not perceptible to us, because we're not advanced enough to know what to look for.
-IMO-

And if advanced then they have been and continue to come here!

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Title: Be extraordinarily cautious about the newest alien claim

But about that whiff ... hold your nose on this one for now.

“Apparently several — more than three or four — referees have been disinclined to see this published,” Seth Shostak, senior astronomer at the SETI Institute says in an email. “I am quite skeptical, in particular of the data processing that can take spectrally sampled data, and infer time variations. So I’d be a little careful.”

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 03:39 AM
link   
well from what i can tell reading the paper this article is talking about arxiv.org...
the nearest of these stars is 32,615 light years from us, which would mean it'd be about 60,000 more years before our radio signals reach them.... so they aint heard us yet...

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 05:40 AM
link   
a reply to: windword

Couldn't help but think of this when I read your post

When is now

youtu.be...

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: MuonToGluon
I am 100% for other life existing in this Galaxy and Universe.

However until we find proof of a tiny bacteria or a plant, fossil or full blown intelligent life itself we have no math or statistics or anything else to calculate the possibilities of other life being out there and neither can any one else say so and no other math can prove that or say otherwise, it would just be pure conjecture.

You cannot divide by 1 to get more.

Correct.

Until we positively verify that life elsewhere exists, there is still a chanced (no matter how remote) that wew are alone. The odds that we are alone could be very very very very small, but until we come in some sort of positive contact with that life, a non-zero chance exists that we are alone.

Put it this way, assuming our universe had a beginning and an end (even if other universes came before it and will come after it, ad infinitum), there was or will be a first and last life in our current universe. So why not that first life in the universe be us -- no matter how unlikely a prospect it is? Or even the last life, but that seems even less likely.

The point is that no matter how incredibly highly unlikely it is that we are the first, last, or only life in the universe, the likeliness is still non-zero.

Having said that, I think most people and virtually all of science is in agreement that we are almost certainly NOT alone.

But getting back to the topic of the thread, I must say that being "not alone" does not make it any more likely that these signals are alien in origin. Maybe they are, but the fact that alien life most likely exists does not add to the evidence that the signals noted in the OP are alien.

edit on 2016-10-28 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 10:18 AM
link   
You would need to make a thousand stars blink in unison, in Morse code, to even remotely have a chance to contact others in the enormity of space. Either that or go out and find em. Stationary based communication is just so implausible to me.

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 10:30 AM
link   

That would mean those signals are traveling faster than the speed of light my friend. Also that is radio signals. The report is about light signals

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: conscientiousobserver

That would mean those signals are traveling faster than the speed of light my friend. Also that is radio signals. The report is about light signals

Right. If we have been broadcasting for 75 to 100years, then our "radio bubble" may be a sphere 150 to 200 light years across with Earth in the center, but the distance those signals travel from Earth would only be 75 to 100 light years.

And it doesn't matter if it is radio or light. Radio and light are both different forms of the same thing -- they are both electromagnetic radiation -- and they both travel at the speed of light.

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I wonder what exactly was the light 'beacon'?

They should describe what was found..

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 02:03 AM
link   
I hope they are real space aliens, it would really shake things up.

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 03:25 AM
link   

I was not sure on the exact distance. What they are talking about is light signals s your are correct. My comment was directed at the signals humans have been sending out since the 1930's and how far they have traveled so far.

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Wether what the scientists said true or not. Its just another example of disclosure.

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 05:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

Are we on the verge of answering the question "are we alone in the universe"?

A journalist of Voice of America (VoA) actually contacted E. Borra and S. Shostak for more insights and their opinions regarding the ongoing debate:

The Real Story: Alien Sun Signals

It's interesting that the science community, and the SETI scientists in particular, are looking into this. But verifying or refuting the claims will probably keep them busy for a while. It would be interesting to know how long it will take before they get to double-check the results with the Automated Planet Finder Telescope (APF/Lick Observatory).

I hope they won't keep us waiting for too long...

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

originally posted by: Metallicus

Are we on the verge of answering the question "are we alone in the universe"?

Mathematics and the law of probability have already done this (at least for me).

Same.. Only human arrogance would assume we are it in the universe.

I came here for both these responses. Cool thread, nothing grind breaking, but a good read 👍👍👍
edit on 29/10/16 by OpenEars123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Which would be at my most 86 light years away.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Yeah well radio signals are light signals... Their all the same... Pat of the EM spectrum.

Anyway... The PDF talks about N value and fourier freq....fourier transform for most of the tables and times 2.1x10-15 bla bla ... In the end it's either 1.6464-1.6465 picoseconds and the visible rf portion between 3.5-7.5 x10^14 freq that I've managed to single out.

Can someone explain what signal freq they've actually analyzed ?
I understand there are sets of pulses with 1.6464 picoseconds in-between, right? And that there pulses are spread across a whole signal/wide range?
Or how does the fourier transform thingy work that is used in this pdf?
They mention different mirror diameters for 500ly to 8000ly etc.

What exact freq are we looking at for these 234 stars?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join