It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists say weird signals from space are ‘probably’ aliens

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Scientists say weird signals from space are ‘probably’ aliens

A team of astronomers believes that strange signals emanating from a cluster of stars are actually aliens trying to tell the universe they exist.

The study, which appeared in the Publications of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific, analyzed the odd beams of light from 234 stars — a fraction of the 2.5 million that were observed.

The bizarre beacons led the paper’s authors, Ermanno F. Borra and Eric Trottier from Laval University in Quebec, to conclude that it’s “probably” aliens.

“We find that the detected signals have exactly the shape of an [extraterrestrial intelligence] signal predicted in the previous publication and are therefore in agreement with this hypothesis,” wrote Borra and Trottier.

They also note that their findings align with the Extraterrestrial Intelligence (ETI) hypothesis, since the mysterious activity only occurred in a tiny fraction of stars. The hypothesis also suggests that an intelligent life force would use a more sophisticated optical beacon than, say, radio waves to reveal its existence.

Click link for article...

**MODS - If this is a duplicate please delete / and or lock **

So apparently signals detected from 230+ stars are fitting the hypothesized parameters established for extraterrestrial intelligence. The stars in question also fit the hypothesized parameters for supporting life. Since only a small amount of stars in the area being looked at are fitting the parameters they are using that as further evidence in support of their claims.

Thoughts?

Are we on the verge of answering the question "are we alone in the universe"?

+5 more 
posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Mathematics and the law of probability have already done this (at least for me).

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 10:52 PM
link   
From the article linked: However it would be really awesome if it were so.

“It is too early to unequivocally attribute these purported signals to the activities of extraterrestrial civilizations,” the organization said in a statement. “Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.”

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Now let me guess, someone wants to poke it with a stick.

I'm not not helping.

S&F Aliens are cool.

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 11:00 PM
link   

What if it turned out to be our own echo!

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 11:00 PM
link   
do they have oil?

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 11:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

Mathematics and the law of probability have already done this (at least for me).

Same.. Only human arrogance would assume we are it in the universe.

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 11:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky
From the article linked: However it would be really awesome if it were so.

“It is too early to unequivocally attribute these purported signals to the activities of extraterrestrial civilizations,” the organization said in a statement. “Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.”

Ill stick to cautious optimism... Its only a matter of time until we get confirmation.

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 11:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
Now let me guess, someone wants to poke it with a stick.

I'm not not helping.

S&F Aliens are cool.

Given the leaders we have on this planet I could see them thinking they could win a war with a civilization more advanced than we are.

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 11:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

What if it turned out to be our own echo!

That would still be pretty cool... The question is though how far out are these 230+ planets and are they in the zone where our signals would have reached them by now?

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 11:18 PM
link   

are they in the zone where our signals would have reached them by now?

When is "now"?

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 11:24 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

We have been sending signals into space since the 1930's. If I remember right our signals / broadcasts should have reached / be detectable about 150-200 light years from earth by now.
edit on 27-10-2016 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I am 100% for other life existing in this Galaxy and Universe.

However until we find proof of a tiny bacteria or a plant, fossil or full blown intelligent life itself we have no math or statistics or anything else to calculate the possibilities of other life being out there and neither can any one else say so and no other math can prove that or say otherwise, it would just be pure conjecture.

You cannot divide by 1 to get more.

I really do hope in my very limited lifetime for that day to come, it does not matter how small that proof is.

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 11:34 PM
link   

If radio waves travel at the speed of light, they wouldn't be quite that far yet, however, any civilization within approximately 80 light years is probably just picking up the lunatic ramblings of Hitler.

No wonder they haven't attempted to reach out to us.

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Well, you're talking about "we" as this generation, in space and time. I didn't mean to insinuate that those signals would be our own timeline echo, and we would find the signal to be a backwards replay of "The I Love Lucy Show, or the 1938 World Series; but more like our history, or even our future "we", coming back around.

I was waxing more "quantum".

edit on 27-10-2016 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 11:35 PM
link   

-IMO-
There are probably advanced communities communicating with each other across vast (or not vast) distances. We're merely tapping into bits and pieces of what spills in our direction. The Universe is teaming with life. Most communications are not perceptible to us, because we're not advanced enough to know what to look for.
-IMO-

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 11:37 PM
link   

this is epic. I hope they bring some space weed

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 11:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

this is epic. I hope they bring some space weed

Isn't that called 'They're coming, they're coming! ' ?

Cool stuff though. Would be interesting if more astrologists can verify the findings!
edit on 27-10-2016 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 12:09 AM
link   
hundreds of billion planets in a seemingly infinite universe in which there are multi/parallel verses...

yes, we arent alone, but will we ever contact alien life in our short life span? probably not.

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 12:16 AM
link   
If you are in a group of 234 stars that are known to be populated, why broadcast as if you questioned the existence of other populated star systems?

What kinda of light source and technology could manipulate light signals that could be detected here on earth?

I was confused how the SDSS data Release 8 survey worked with the signal detection. Was the survey determining multiple star types with in the same plate ID and able to simultaneously sample each star for light pulses?

I find it strange the abstract skips over the AO and K3 spectra signal detection?

It's strange no signals from G5 spectra and skipped in the abstract?

The paper seems to Ignore the anomalies of the A0, G5, and K3 spectra sampling.

The paper seemed to shy away from a sample method which would resolve the inconsistent distribution of signals from A0 to K3 spectra stars.

It might be in the paper, but a chart representing the area of detection would be nice. In other words. Are the stars in a straight line to each other. In a tight group. Or distributed over a wide area.

The Publication of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific seems seems more of a news letter publication.

The weird signal article was published more of a publicity stunt than science.

edit on 28-10-2016 by neutronflux because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join