It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

I Can't Pick Between 2 Apartments

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I am selling my house and have looked at apartments all month. My boarder is coming with me and signing a lease with me.

I have gotten this down to 2 apartments. My boarder will take either.

Both are similar rent and great locations. Same zip code I am already in,both safe neighborhoods. Both include gas/heat/water. Both are wired for reasonable internet. I have left a deposit at one.

The differences. I will start with the fiorst one I saw.

Apartment One:

Fully remodeled. Central air. Wall to wall new carpeting. new kitchen and bathroom flooring. Brick building basement apartment (which I wanted). All appliances including full sized dishwasher. Security intercom. Lots of free parking. Free basement storage. I really liked the manager and met a tenant when I saw it, who I liked and she showed me her apartment. I got a good 'vibe' from the place, but it is a little small. It does have fair closet space though, a coat closet,linen closet. Normal sized bedroom closets. Really nice updated bathroom and kitchen. Dining nook with new wainscoting.

Apartment 2:

Not fully remodeled, but very nice re done wood foors, faux terra cotta fireplace up to the celing, back and front entrance. Freshly painted, redone ceilings. Has a little more character. Includes appliances, the dishwasher is tiny. the bathroom and kitchen are dated. It is much bigger than apt one, though and has a MASSIVE storage cubby behind a 3 ft cupboard door in the living room. The bedrooms are the same size as apt 1. it has a dining nook as well. Built in linen storage and built in drawers in the hallway next to the bathroom. It also has intercom secure entrance.

Apt 2 is $10 less than apt 1. However, central air in apartment, from what i read is cheaper than the window units I have. Apt 2 has old windows, wheras apt 1 has brand new everything.

So it is between a lower electric bill in apt 1 and a higher electric bill in apt 2 but more space and 2 entrances.

I am also a little peeved at apt 2 as I filled out the application last Sunday, have seen it twice, gave a deposit and don't have an answer. Apartment 1 has said I am approved outright.

I do not know what to do. If I wait for the apartment 2 owner to decide, who also has $200 from me, I may lose apartment 1.

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Sounds like apartment 1 is calling your name.

The good vibe says a lot.

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

I am also a little peeved at apt 2 as I filled out the application last Sunday, have seen it twice, gave a deposit and don't have an answer

Red flag !

Poor (and slacking) management operations.

Go for apartment #1.

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   
apartment 2 sounds better, more space

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 10:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Maluhia
Sounds like apartment 1 is calling your name.

The good vibe says a lot.

I think you may be right.

link   
Apartment 2 sounds like it has more charm. The fireplace is a nice touch. Who really needs a dishwasher anyway? I wouldn't even use one if I had one. Sounds like this one has more character. I say take it!
edit on 27-10-2016 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge

I am also a little peeved at apt 2 as I filled out the application last Sunday, have seen it twice, gave a deposit and don't have an answer

Red flag !

Poor (and slacking) management operations.

Go for apartment #1.

I think you may be right too. The woman who showed me apt #2 never gave the application to the owner until this morning.

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 10:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: beeeyotch
apartment 2 sounds better, more space

I sounds better, but I am not sure.

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 10:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
Apartment 2 sounds like it has more charm. The fireplace is a nice touch. Who really needs a dishwasher anyway? I wouldn't even use one if I had one. Sounds like this one has more character. I say take it!

It surely does have more charm. I a worried about what the electric bill may be in summer though.

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 10:05 PM
link   

But...but...I wanted the second apartment.

Do what you feel is best Hun! I wish you much happiness in your new place!

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 10:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star

But...but...I wanted the second apartment.

Do what you feel is best Hun! I wish you much happiness in your new place!

I know, I am with you. It is really old school and has cool details whereas apt 1 is sort of generic.

But the people in the building of apt 1 are kind of like The Shed. I spent about 2 hours there. Apt 2, the woman who showed me the apt on sunday seemed to be annoyed and didn;t actually show me around. The owner of apt 2 didn;t even know what internet it was wired for, I had to call Time Warner.

Two visits to apt 2, total time 20 minutes and this time my boarder came wiith me.
edit on 27-10-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I don't have a horse in this race, so...

Go with your gut!

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 10:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: slowisfast
I don't have a horse in this race, so...

Go with your gut!

Ty

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Just keep in mind that the novelty of all that lovely charm of apt#2 will wear off very quickly if you end up with a crappy landlord and/or rental management company.

It might be worth it to dig a little deeper on the internet into Time Warner's management practices and maybe even that apartment building (if you can find info about it on a google search).

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Going with my gut may be a good thing or a bad thing. In apt 1 I liked the different personalities. The manager and also one of his friends walked in at one point (black guy wearing a knitted purse) and Lacy, the single om with a 1 yr old- the tenant. That is a place that could go very very awesome or could go sideways. I was happy when I was there.

Apt 2, I have no idea who lives there. I got no real vibe from it at all. I liked the apartment, but there was no feeling.

This is difficult to describe.

And on top of that, the manager of apt 1 has answered my texts with questions and said he realy wants me there. Apt 2 seems to not be able to care less.

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 10:22 PM
link   
#1 Its like new. Fresh and clean. Most important is that it has a good vibe.

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

TY. I keep getting that answer.

eta: I don;t know who the ilttle girl in your av is, but looks a lot like my daughter when she was that age.

I know I have a pic that is even more similar, but I had this on here

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Well, you've already done a pretty good pro/con list, which is where I usually start too.

So, if I were to still be confused, I would do a visualization exercise and go into "life" in a very detailed way in each place. Doesn't have to take too long, just 15-20 minutes or so. Visualize arriving at the apartment, parking or whatever, going up to the door, getting inside, seeing your furniture and your boarder's stuff, knowing you are going to cook dinner in the kitchen, maybe have some friends over on the weekend, etc. See how it feels to be there in each space. Does the "character" and extra space of the second place feel better? What about visualizing the window units blasting on a hot summer's day. Imagine daily life - where your room would be, what the view is, where you'd be most comfortable.

Also do this for the first apartment too. How do YOU feel in each place? What aspects of YOU does each place bring to the forefront? Are there other limitations or positives you missed before? Imagine de-cluttering and refining your "stuff" to fit smoothly into Apartment 1. Imagine cooking and having people over or just creating a quiet space to work or be on your computer...etc.

Which one feels best?

Lemme know if you do this and if it helps.

It seems clear that each apartment would impact how you live, how you interact with the space, with your boarder, with your stuff, with friends, etc.

Good luck!

(If it means anything, my initial reaction upon reading the Apt 1 was "clean but a bit sterile" and Apt 1 was "character but maybe a bit too much character." The Apt 2, for what it's worth, had a bit of a shadow to it, and Apt 1 was "bright." )

edit on 27-10-2016 by AboveBoard because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I'm gonna vote for #1.

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 10:45 PM
link   
What's the parking situation like? What's it gonna be like getting in and out? How congested is the neighborhood?

The pros and cons of the apartments as described would be tough to choose between.

Think of all the other factors.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join