It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Hard work pays off, or I'm a stinking snob

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 11:24 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Are you sure "snob" is the word you are looking for?

Snob
noun
a person who imitates, cultivates, or slavishly admires social superiors and is condescending or overbearing to others.
a person who believes himself or herself an expert or connoisseur in a given field and is condescending toward or disdainful of those who hold other opinions or have different tastes regarding this field:
a musical snob.

Are you condescending and overbearing to others? Are you slavishly cultivating and admiring of social superiors? Do you think you are better than "those people" in coach?

I don't think you come off that way. Not as being a "snob."

Sometimes hard work and sacrifice do pay off, but there is also luck, opportunity, networking, etc. that can play into success - luck that other's are not as fortunate to have, even if they work just as hard, make just as many sacrifices and have just as many dreams and goals and just as much personal discipline, etc.

I find gratitude is the best attitude, and acknowledging that things could have gone another way while celebrating what is, is a pretty healthy way to live. It could have been a rough life, no? And things might get more challenging in the future... So cheers to the good times and good things and good people you have in your life. You are both hard working and blessed.

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Your just another CISgender experiencing white guilt.

Enjoy what you have put hard work into, even if it is frowned upon by many in this day and age.

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 05:35 AM
link   

No one can see the sacrifices I and my wife made, to get me here.
Isn't that the way it is, though?

I understand the sacrifices needed. It is great that you found a partner who understands, as well, and had the same desires and drive (?) that you did coming up. Glad you are good to the workers.
I find resentment from others just in where I work at times. I have the permission to work from home as I wish (which I don't abuse) and that is often 2 or 3 times a month but, my duties (most days) only require a laptop and internet connection. Occasionally, someone will say 'it must be nice'. Well, it can be but, it is still 'work' and I must still 'produce'.
I've been with the company almost 8 years and have earned nearly 6 weeks of vacation/personal time per year. I earned that and one day when I am finished with this position, someone else can have it.

Everyone just looks at the moment. No one looks at the moments that lead up to it.

Also, I think we can be guilty of this when the circumstances aren't for the good. If someone seems down and out or homeless or not doing very well financially. Sometimes folks assume they are shiftless or lazy and that is why they aren't doing so well ($) in life. We don't see what led up to their current situation, perhaps.

Until last year, we lived in a 6 bedroom 4 bath home lakefront home. Certain planetary alignments occurred and I'm certain the I angered a few Gods and everything changed. I have learned the invaluable lesson of planning for the worst. I thought I had made every/smart plan but, I didn't plan for the worst worst. If that makes any sense. I simply must work harder now than before and slow down and make better choices. Of course, no one can plan completely for illnesses but, I certainly could have saved more money along the way.

You seem like a reasonable, caring individual and I could be nothing but happy for a fellow human who is doing well and living comfortably. Living the dream, so to speak. Just remember to plan...and save...don't count on youth. It can give one a false sense of security and shatter everything.

Sorry that my congratulation post turned into, sort of, a rant.

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   

I know about sacrifice, just not about reward.

Congratulations. The difference between a snob and a person who has simply made it? A snob either came from money and behaves like it, or forgot or abandoned where they came from.

If you managed to make it and still pay homage to the dirt that you were born to, then you did it right.

A lot of it comes down to appreciating the luck factor. Those who do not realise that despite the harrowing effort involved in making it, there is always luck involved, tend toward the snobbish.

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Sadly, people are jerks. They cant stand to see you doing well.

Enjoy the fruits of your labor guy. Screw em

Let them eat shait.

edit on 10 28 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   
You're not sitting there rubbing that success in anyone's face while sneering at the peons earning less, are you? Then you don't fit the definition of snob, entitled dick, etc. If you don't forget about the climb it took, and don't start looking down from a pedestal, you'll always be well-grounded.

Congrats, BTW.

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I was talking to a man who was doing well in life and he told me, somewhat bitterly, that people tended to remark on how lucky he was.

He used to respond with 'the harder I work, the luckier I get'.

Speaking for myself, I don't think anyone needs to explain themselves to others. Everyone has their own set of values and lives according to their taste and means. If you're not hurting anyone, why not enjoy and live your life in your own way?

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I feel exactly 0 guilt for getting paid very well which allows me to live life the way I want.

When people try and say "if you make over $150k or whatever that you are just an entitled sob" I just laugh because much like the OP said what they dont realize is the 20 year career and sacrifice that went into getting to this point.

I was at an industry trade show 2 years ago where the closing keynote speaker was Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs and he said something that is 100% true...essentially it went like this "people say dont work harder, work smarter. I disagree. If you want to really succeed in whatever job you choose you need to work both harder and smarter then anyone else."

I have no advice to give people other then to stay at it, do something you enjoy but also something that is financially viable and the sooner people realize that life-friends-a company or the world owe you nothing the better off you will be.

edit on 28-10-2016 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join