It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists discover elixir of youth – for mice – and begin tests on humans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Scientists in the US claim to have discovered a natural compound found in avocado, broccoli and cucumber that has “remarkable anti-ageing effects in mice” – and could also work on humans.

“We have shown a way to slow the physiologic decline that we see in ageing mice. This means older mice have metabolism and energy levels resembling that of younger mice.”

As animals get older, they produce less NAD and it is thought this is a part of the ageing process. Attempts to add extra NAD failed.

They gave mice NMN, also found in cabbage and edamame, in their drinking water to see if this would boost levels of NAD and have a rejuvenating effect.

Asked if this worked, lead researcher Professor Shin-ichiro Imai, of Washington University in St Louis, said: “The answer is basically yes. As a matter of fact, NMN has remarkable anti-ageing effects in mice.

And he expressed optimism that the clinical trials with human subjects, underway in Japan, would produce similar results.

I'm guessing the mice must have a marked drop off in visual activity, and this compound NMN helps put the zip back in their step. Pretty cool if it works and doesn't cause another problem. Let's all hope we can be 50 and have the energy level of 25 year olds.

www.independent.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 08:56 PM
link   
avocado, broccoli and cucumber

So do we just start binging out on these things now? I wonder how they're making the serum, or whatever you'd call it.

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: canucks555

I wonder how much it will cost.

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Sounds like it will be too late for Hillary lol. She needs it right now.

Interesting subject. This could be a miracle drug but does it also allow those mice to live longer. That is one question that could end our civilization. Imagine if the population of the world simply doubled every twenty years.

A little more energy, I could use some of that right now.

P

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 09:30 PM
link   
If it is true, then I could imagine the pharma institutions getting Congress to pass a law to make Avocado, broccoli and cucumber illegal to grow or eat.

edit on 27-10-2016 by Informer1958 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Informer1958

They just need to make it a schedule 1 drug.

edit on 27-10-2016 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Informer1958
If it is true, then I could imagine the pharma institutions getting Congress to pass a law to make Avocado, broccoli and cucumber illegal to grow or eat.

And then make a synthetic derivative of the active ingredient so they can patent it and hold a monopoly on said product... While their lobbyists pay for smear campaigns to ensure the illegalization of the natural product.
edit on 27-10-2016 by cooperton because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Well I can't eat broccoli or cucumber anymore. But I eat an avocado every day. So there's that at least lol.

Peace.

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Immortality in any form makes me nervous, because you know the people who shouldn't have it will hunt the hardest to acquire it. Cure cancer, eradicate aids, fight Ebola and zika and make vaccines and antibiotics but leave death alone. Mortality is about the only thing standing between half of us and complete insanity.
edit on 27-10-2016 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Well, I don't like Avacado and broccoli has some bad effects if over consumed. I do like cucumber, but if you eat a lot of it it does give you a belly ache. Cucumber tastes best with salt.

There are all sorts of ways to help the NAD metabolic pathways. Good chicken soup is one way, it is made with cabbage. They actually sell some supplements that help with this. I don't off hand remember what they are, the problem I encountered when studying this is fixing one thing seems to cause other things to go awry. One of them is cancer risk being increased or by altering diet with cruciferous veggies, heart attack risk increasing. There is already some research been done on this pathway they are talking about through NIH.

new topics

top topics

join