It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Tipping in 2016

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Something I've never given much thought to. I've never been in the food service industry except for washing dishes. It's been a decent year in the JinMI household and we've gone out to eat about a couple dozen times this year and I've often wondered what is the acceptable tipping amount these days?

I know much of it is based off of service received but where is the bar set? How much do you tip if you say walk up to the counter at a bar and order a beer? Is not tipping ever really a viable option ethically speaking?

Thoughts?

Rants?

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
Something I've never given much thought to. I've never been in the food service industry except for washing dishes. It's been a decent year in the JinMI household and we've gone out to eat about a couple dozen times this year and I've often wondered what is the acceptable tipping amount these days?

I know much of it is based off of service received but where is the bar set? How much do you tip if you say walk up to the counter at a bar and order a beer? Is not tipping ever really a viable option ethically speaking?

Thoughts?

Rants?

I've always tipped enough to make the person a little surprised.

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

I usually...and people don't really like my math...tip 10% and round up for smaller meals, tip 20% and round up for larger parties in restaurants.

I take a lot of taxis and where I live they are pretty cheap unless I use the CURB app (it adds a $2 fee). If I am going somewhere in the same village, within a couple miles, I tip $2. If I go more than 5 miles away, the tip increases to between 5 and 10. I have some regular drivers that don't turn the meter on and I tip them a little more than what the fare would be. If I have multiple stops I tip more.
edit on 27-10-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

At a bar, I tend to tip a dollar or 2 for each drink, just in case it is a long night and I forget at the end. If it is a place where I have run a tab, I would say 20%.

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I live next to a pretty big city so I'm used to city prices & tipping practices from years of business travel.
I used to tip straight 15% until I started working with service people - now it's 20% for me - less for bad service.
Okay let's deal with exceptions - even for a $3 cup of coffee I'll tip $1 at a sit down restaurant, minimum $2 if there's food involved too. What about coupons & discounts, I tip on the full value of the meal.

ganjoa

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   

How much do you tip if you say walk up to the counter at a bar and order a beer? Is not tipping ever really a viable option ethically speaking?

If the beer's overpriced, the bartender's gonna have to work things out with the guy that pays him. So there's for not tipping.

A waiter/waitress ... they're working for peanuts, so like In4ormant, they're probably going to be a bit surprised and I'll be remembered the next time I'm a customer. Same goes with haircuts or any other personal services. It's not hard to tell who's busting-ass for a paycheck and dealing with the tipping situation.

If I'm badly served ... I'm never coming back ... so why leave a tip?

ETA: Something else: I always compliment with eye-to-eye contact. I don't think it's really all that polite to leave a tip in an unflattering fashion.

edit on 27102016 by Snarl because: ETA

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

I generally shoot for 30 percent on meals for me and my woman. From there it can fluctuate based on the service. I've never not tipped a server. If I go to the bar, I will generally give the change, sometimes a dollar. Seems kind of aholish but I did go to the bar. We don't tip cashiers..maybe we should?

I can't relate to the taxis but say with delivered pizza, they automatically add a 3 dollar charge and noted that it is not part of a tip. So there's that.

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

How much do you tip if you say walk up to the counter at a bar and order a beer? Is not tipping ever really a viable option ethically speaking?

If the beer's overpriced, the bartender's gonna have to work things out with the guy that pays him. So there's for not tipping. A waiter/waitress ... they're working for peanuts, so like In4ormant, they're probably going to be a bit surprised and I'll be remembered the next time I'm a customer. Same goes with haircuts or any other personal services. It's not hard to tell who's busting-ass for a paycheck and dealing with the tipping situation.

If I'm badly served ... I'm never coming back ... so why leave a tip?

I forgot about the beauty salon. If I am happy, it will be $10. If I am only slightly annoyed it will be $5. If I get the opposite of what I asked for...it will be nothing and I have on one occasion walked out not paying. But that is out of hundreds of visits in my life.

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 08:20 PM
link   

I generally shoot for 30 percent on meals for me and my woman. From there it can fluctuate based on the service. I've never not tipped a server. If I go to the bar, I will generally give the change, sometimes a dollar. Seems kind of aholish but I did go to the bar. We don't tip cashiers..maybe we should?

I can't relate to the taxis but say with delivered pizza, they automatically add a 3 dollar charge and noted that it is not part of a tip. So there's that.

You are generous and if you can afford to , that is a good thing.

I always tip in a restaurant. If there is a tip jar for a cashier somewhere, like starbucks, I put a dollar in.

For food delivery, depends on from where. I usually pay in advance on the internet and add $3. If I order via a thrid party like 'Skip the dishes' it will be $1 , as the drivers get the full delivery fee to begin with.

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

On your edit; my uncle does the same. He says, he wants them to see the gratitude. Myself, I just leave what I leave, sometimes I 'll thank the server for excellent service or try to explain an issue. Can't say I've ever had a bad experience however but we don't it out much.

To your post; I've not used many services in my lifetime that would require tips. Try to do as much as possible as I can, but yes, when tipping is worth it, I do.

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   

I thought I read somewhere..sometime.. that 30% was the norm (maybe it was written by a waitress!) so I went off of that knowledge never really putting much thought into it.

I'm really curious to hear from any bartenders regarding customers who come to the bar or if their servers split tips with them.

I don't like to tip where I'm the one who comes to the counter unless they are provided an extra service aside from just handing me a beverage.

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   

I havve tipped valets, hotel maids, luggage carriers. I give what I can. In regard to maids, you should tip them directly, leaving it on the dresser is not a good idea, the shift that never helped you could pick it up.

Concierge is another one. $10 or $20 at the beginning of a few day stay can get a lot. He is the guy in a hotel that can provide free things.

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I used to tip over Bars all the time. I don't remember leaving.

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

I used to tip over Bars all the time. I don't remember leaving.

LOL

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Having waited tables for a few years, and knowing what it actually entails, I always tip well. Even when it's crummy service. My husband and I rarely eat out, because it's a waste, in my opinion.

I hope to never have to wait tables again, but I am so thankful I did, because I know what the job is like.

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   

I thought I read somewhere..sometime.. that 30% was the norm (maybe it was written by a waitress!) so I went off of that knowledge never really putting much thought into it.

I'm really curious to hear from any bartenders regarding customers who come to the bar or if their servers split tips with them.

I don't like to tip where I'm the one who comes to the counter unless they are provided an extra service aside from just handing me a beverage.

30% is not the norm, it is generous. It may be the norm is your restaurant party is 15 people.

You asked about 'splitting tips'. that is called 'tipping out'. Waitresses usually 'tip out' dishwashers and barbacks. Bartenders the same. The rules vary from place to place. Sometimes it is a set amount, sometimes not.

I bartended for about 3 months when I was pregnant. I wasn't showing yet. I would heavily tip out a kid that worked in the kitchen to bring restock to me from the basement and filling the coolers, as it was one of my jobs and I couldn't do it.

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: chelsdh
Having waited tables for a few years, and knowing what it actually entails, I always tip well. Even when it's crummy service. My husband and I rarely eat out, because it's a waste, in my opinion.

I hope to never have to wait tables again, but I am so thankful I did, because I know what the job is like.

When I worked in a kitchen as a dishwasher/salad-sandwich maker, I would be called on to waitress when too many called in sick. I was in high school. I was NOT good at it. But I did make $300 in tips on New Year's Eve when I was 17. It was like I won the lottery.

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra
In regard to maids, you should tip them directly, leaving it on the dresser is not a good idea, the shift that never helped you could pick it up.

A tip on maid service ... hide the tip where they should be cleaning. I don't get stoopit ... a fin in the pillowcase on a single room, a sawbuck under the floor towel. If I'm staying for a while, and the maid ever acknowledges ... it's ones all over hide-and-seek style ... and just once. Nothing wrong with making someone's day a bit brighter.

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 08:56 PM
link   

I hated the job- well, hated the general public, but had fun with coworkers. But, it may be more due to the fact that I didn't work in an area where people tip well. If I had made more, I would probably remember it fondly.

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 09:09 PM
link   

18% is the new age gratuity

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 09:47 PM
link   
If I'm on the expense account I tip big. If' It's my dime, it's still big.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join