It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Mobile Devices Targeted by New Malicious Software

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Mobile devices such as cellular telephones have been predicted to be the new target for an emerging generation of malicious software worms and Trojan horses. The recent discovery of two new Trojans seems to be more evidence of this. Although not yet released into the wild, Gavno.a and Gavno.b come disguised as patches for phones using a version of the Symbian operating system and, if executed, can completely disable the device.

Trojan Horses Take Aim at Mobile Phones (from PC World)
The Gavno Trojans, according to Davidson, are the first to aim at disrupting a core function of mobile phones--telephony--in addition to other applications such as text messaging, e-mail, and address books. "Gavno will effectively turn a mobile phone into a paperweight," he says.
Gavno.a and Gavno.b are proof-of-concept Trojan horses that "are not yet in the wild," Davidson says. "We were given an anonymous tip to have a look at them, which we've done. They're real."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Over and above the hassle of losing the use of your mobile phone temporarily or losing the phonebook and calendar data stored in it, this upcoming year will find us dealing with increasingly sophisticated wireless threats that can steal valuable personal or business information, run up huge phone bills, and cost consumers thousands of dollars in lost productivity, repair cost, etc.

Mobile phone services will have to begin to address the issue of malicious software attacking their equipment very soon. Given the continued spread of viruses, worms, and Trojan horses across the internet via personal computer despite efforts to raise consumer awareness and protect networks, it is going to be another difficult battle to fight.

Related News Links
Cabir worm Information
New Trojan Threatens Smart Phones (Metalgear/Cabir)
New, virulent Cabir mobile phone worms spotted

Related ATS Discussions
EPOC.Cabir...Nokia Series 60 phone bluetooth 'worm'

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 06:11 PM
link   
It has always been inevitable. Its a pitty we've become so dependant on them. Imagine a trojan or virus that spread on mobile phones, lets say at the same rate as a virus such as Melissa did on computers. Also accounting for the fact that mobiles phones now are used alot more than computers were then. Time will tell i guess.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 06:26 PM
link   
So my pocket pc is safe then? Or is there a worm out there that can effect pocket devices like pocket pc's?

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 06:45 PM
link   
This is exactly why my mobile phone is that and only that. I have a Palm for everything else I need, but again, no web service there either. We are sucked into all these toys and gadgets, and ultimately we are compromised.

There are computers everywhere, I don't need the web in my pocket. Protecting my PC is hard enough.

I manage of "fleet" of Nextels for my company. Recently I received a software update that applies to most of our phones, with a free cable link for the computer. It was not requested and only came for one of the two accounts that are involved for all the phones we own. I dare not touch it till I get around to calling them. It just seems odd that with two accounts and so many phones, I only received this one "Urgent" Software Upgrade.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Janus, there is at least one Windows CE virus out there, but the ones mentioned in this article specifically target Sybian v7 for mobile phones, and some specific models at that. I'm sure that Pocket PC's time will come, unfortunately. Any wireless mobile device is going to be an attractive target, especially ones that contain personal data.

new topics

top topics

join