It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: UN Secretary General Kofi Annan: World must learn from Holocaust

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 05:38 PM
link   
In a special session convened at the United Nations to make the sixtieth anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz, Secretary General Kofi Annan, urged the world to make sure such evils never occur. He further went on to say "The United Nations must never forget that it was created as a response to the evil of Nazism, or that the horror of the Holocaust helped to shape its mission"

news.bbc.co.uk
UN Secretary General Kofi Annan has urged the world to make sure evils such as those perpetrated in the Holocaust are never repeated.
"We rightly say, 'Never again'. But action is much harder," he told the UN.

The General Assembly gathered to mark the 60th anniversary of the liberation of the Auschwitz death camp in a special session.

Nobel Peace Prize laureate Elie Wiesel, himself a Holocaust survivor, also addressed the meeting in New York.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The accounts of those exterminated are indeed staggering. Nearly two thirds of all of the Jews in Europe and that figure included over 1.5 million children. Les we forget , gypsies, Poles, Slavs, homosexuals, and those suffering from physical and mental disorders also were sent to these death camps as well.

Indeed it is an important lesson to be remembered. While the U.N. may have had its origins in the Holocaust, and I laud Annon's passion, the bottom line is that the U.N. has done precious little to stop or prevent atrocities. One only has to look as far as Cambodia, or Rwanda to hear the echos of those who were massacred.

[edit on 1/24/05 by FredT]

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 06:08 PM
link   
He's had two genocides on his watch, and done nothing...

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Disturbed Deliverer
He's had two genocides on his watch, and done nothing...

I agree, what exactly did the UN do for these areas? Besides talk that is?

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 04:11 AM
link   
The brutal extermination of a people began not with guns or tanks but with words systematically portraying the Jews and others as not legitimate, something less than human.

On the special session of the General Assembly commemorating the 60th anniversary of the liberation of the Nazi death camp at Auchwitz, Israels Foreign Minister Shalom and the UN Secretary General inaugurated an exhibit organized by the Yad Vashem Holocaust Martyrs' and Heroes' Remembrance Authority about the Auschwitz death camp.

The exhibit, entitled "Auschwitz - the Depth of the Abyss" presents photos from the Auschwitz Album, the only surviving visual evidence of the process of the mass murders at the death camp taken by SS personnel.

"If the world had listened, we may have prevented Darfur, Cambodia, Bosnia and naturally Rwanda. We know that for the dead it is too late. For them, abandoned by God and betrayed by humanity, victory did come much too late.

But it is not too late for today's children, ours and yours. It is for their sake alone that we bear witness.

But will the world ever learn?"

(keynote speaker Eli Wiesel)

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Riwka
The brutal extermination of a people began not with guns or tanks but with words systematically portraying the Jews and others as not legitimate, something less than human.

Strange juxtaposition if you take his views on the Palestinians in hand.

Never again, they said, and they did it again.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 04:33 AM
link   
I would like to suggest to you to click on the above mentioned links and please take a history lesson. Afterwards you will for sure think different on your own comment.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 04:38 AM
link   
I read the article. I forgot the violin and the string music. What history are you talking about? The one made for consumption?

If you actually know anything about history, people killing each other over religious or racist difference has and will always exist as long as man lives.

What is so special about this "holocaust"? Is it because jews died and they have the resources to tell their stories?

Why is there a holocaust memorial in Washington DC and not a slavery memorial? Americans did not kill the jews and yet they memorialize them and subsidize the weapons that the jews used to kill others. When I say jews, I am talking about the eastern european and not the historical jews, and when I say jews, I don't mean to castigate a group of people, only those who wear it as a shirt as a form of entitlement. There are no christian or jewish race, it is only a belief, a fan club.

[edit on 25-1-2005 by Justanotherperson]

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Justanotherperson.... spot on

Whilst we can appreciate horror and suffering, having it shoved in our faces all the time, decades after those who perpetrated it have all died, just get's on my nerves more and more.

Nobody elses suffering seems to count for anything. More died under Mao and Stalin but let's forget them, they were not Jewish. It has almost turned into a religion in it's own right. To use it as an excuse to inflict suffering on others makes them no better than the Nazis.
Of course, say anything bad about Israel and you usually get hit with the "anti-semite" label double quick. I'm not at all anti-semitic, just sick of hearing about it like we are ALL supposed to feel guilty and owe them something

There, rant over

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Justanotherperson

Originally posted by Riwka

Strange juxtaposition if you take his views on the Palestinians in hand.

Never again, they said, and they did it again.

Nice try, but there is no concerted effort at genocide toward the Palestinians. That the Palestinians are raising their children with such hatred and resentment that their children are opting for bomb-belts doesn't condemn the Israelis to the Hitlerian list of exterminators. Just once I would like to see one of you "pro-Palestinians/anti-Israel" proponents talk about this huge white elephant standing between you and the rest of the world. Even those of us who wish to see better handling of the I/P issue, and a peaceful resolution, can't conjure up any more sympathy past a certain level for a people who will accept payment because their teenage son went and blew himself and some number of innocent citizens up.

[edit on 1-25-2005 by Valhall]

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall

Nice try, but there is no concerted effort at genocide toward the Palestinians.

The Palestinian population in Gazastrip /Westbank has tripled in 50 years.

(The Nazis and their collaborators killed almost 6 million Jews, reducing the population of Jews in Europe (9.6 million before the war) by nearly two-thirds.)

[edit on 25-1-2005 by Riwka]

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 07:53 AM
link   

as posted by Britguy
I'm not at all anti-semitic, just sick of hearing about it like we are ALL supposed to feel guilty and owe them something

Regardless of whether you like it or not, sick of it or not, you, your grandchildren, and their children will learn and know of this horrific event in history. The thing with rememberance is that it is not meant to make you feel guilty, it is meant to make sure that present and future generations learn from their mistakes and do not committ such horrific events in the future. If it makes you feel "guilty," apprently, there is a reason you feel guilty. Also, you "owe" them nothing. You see such type shows asking for donations, etc? "Owe"? Please. The only thing you "owe" is to make sure that you know of this event, pass this lesson on to your children and others, and remember that it could have easily been you or anyone else among those 3-6 million. In such an hypothetical applied case, at least you would be spared from those remembering your lose as:

I'm not at all anti-semitic, just sick of hearing about it like we are ALL supposed to feel guilty and owe them something.

seekerof

[edit on 25-1-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 08:06 AM
link   
It's history, a particularly nasty piece maybe, but still history. Why do we have to keep hearing about it? Let's face it, lessons have not been learn't and it's used more today as leverage for political gain.
Let's eclipse it with the numbers who died in Russia and China under totalitarian rule.
Ok, leave it in the history books so children of future generations see how bad it was, along with many other mass slaughters and hardships suffered by many peoples of the world. Why do we need to be told about it so much? I feel no guilt about what happened to them, why should I? It happened in another generation and has absolutely no bearing on my life at all.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 08:11 AM
link   

as posted by Britguy
Why do we have to keep hearing about it?

Britguy.

I just explained why. So that present and future generations will hopefully learn from this event, and in doing so, help to prevent such occurances in the future. Albeit, it seems to not have been grasped by many, cause we still have Rwanda and Sudan genocides, etc. Its a historical learning lesson. We learn to reform ourselves from two things: by learning from our mistakes, or by learning from the mistakes of others.

seekerof

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I really would like to learn more about what's going on behind the scenes in the Jewish demographic regarding the actual/possible motives of "educating" everyone about what happened 50 years ago...I personally have no opinion either way as to whether their motives are truly altruistic in wishing to educate, to avoid repetition, or if it's somehow...politically motivated. Is there any ONE person here, that could logically outline either possibility and leave bias at the doorstep on the subject? Or is there anyplace I can go to read not about the holocaust ITSELF, but specifically about the subject I've described above?

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   

as posted by Ghaleon4
I really would like to learn more about what's going on behind the scenes in the Jewish demographic regarding the actual/possible motives of "educating" everyone about what happened 50 years ago...

The motives today are the same back when such material was made public: to prevent another such type incident from ever occurring again. This is not a Jewish agenda, this is not anyone's agenda, other than the fact that it is brought forth every year, like Pearl Harbor, like Kennedy's assassination, like the bombing of Hiroshima, like D-Day, like any other historically related past event(s) or happening(s) that makes up great and remembered historical events. It is a matter of rememberance, nothing more, nothing less. To remember is to never forget the lessons learned. To those making such a big deal and fuss out of such cases (ie: the Holocaust, etc.) being aired and brought about, it is they who may really have the possible true agenda........

seekerof

[edit on 25-1-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 11:51 AM
link   

To those making such a big deal and fuss out of such cases (ie: the Holocaust, etc.) being aired and brought about, it is they who may really have the possible true agenda........

Ooh..I never thought of that.
But...if THAT's the real agenda, what would be gained, other than the spread of hate? I mean...let's say there's this big secret war being raged between the Jews, and...whoever else. What are they fighting for? What's the big prize at the end of the race??
(Sorry if I've gotten off subject)

*Edited to add the last statement in parenthesis*

[edit on 25-1-2005 by Ghaleon4]

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 12:00 PM
link   
There have also been many occasions over 9 decades when many parts of the world have ignored inconvenient truths about another genocide; one that goes largely ignored, as if it never happened.

The Armenian genocide is still not recognized by many nations, including Turkey, America, and many European countries.
They talk about having the will to stop it, but it's also important to even recognize that something did happen; it seems to have been written out of history. Most students don't learn about it and many people are unaware of it.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I really don't see why this is any different than any other commemoration.

We remember the assasination of MLK. We remember Pearl Harbor day. We remember when JFK was killed. We remember countless other tragedies in each of our cultures.

We also remember happy occasions too.

This is humanity. We remember things. As a city, a state, a country, a world, a family, a company, whatever. Founder's day, Independence day, your birthday.

This is no different. The world should remember this and other events because they shaped history. These are things that took place in the past and forever altered our future. They are things that have impacted so many millions of people and should not be forgotten by any means.

Our pasts shape us as individuals and as a community. One should remember that the Holocaust happened. One should use such lessons to grow in the future. Maybe the UN would do well to look at those pictures every so often before giving a half assed answer as to why it's not important to do have done something in Rwanda.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 04:13 PM
link   
It amazes me that people would actually ask why we talk about the Holocaust. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that it's the most inhumane slaughtering of a group of people the world has ever seen. The jews weren't just killed, they were tortured without mercy before it.

You know, I hate using cliche quotes to prove my point, but, "Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it."

Apparently this is a lesson that hasn't been learned as we can see with the rising anti-semitism across Europe...

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 05:19 PM
link   
What a great conversation below.
Can I just add that the agenda of those who wish to minimise or deny the Holocaust is two fold.

On the superfical level its straight antisemitism and paranoia "Those jews have invented the whole thing to control the world, as they own the media" (Thats a real argument I read on it)

At a deeper level if you can deny the reality of the Holocaust then you can minimise the evil of nazism. Its no coincidence that these views are held, and propagated by pro nazi groups. Such groups also consider the holocaust to be "anti-german, anti-white defamation" from their website, seems they won't accept it as it puts whites (aryans) in a bad position.

Its also no coincidence that they are being voiced here recently more frequently.

There is a major pro nazi / white supremacy group that has focused on spreading its vile philosophy through messageboards on the net. This website is one of their targets.

Originally posted by Ghaleon4

To those making such a big deal and fuss out of such cases (ie: the Holocaust, etc.) being aired and brought about, it is they who may really have the possible true agenda........

Ooh..I never thought of that.
But...if THAT's the real agenda, what would be gained, other than the spread of hate? I mean...let's say there's this big secret war being raged between the Jews, and...whoever else. What are they fighting for? What's the big prize at the end of the race??
(Sorry if I've gotten off subject)

[edit on 25-1-2005 by Ghaleon4]

[edit on 25-1-2005 by Netchicken]

new topics

<<   2 >>

join