It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

NHS in Scotland wasting peoples time

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

And Usually they do that before even coming into see you. They come in to tell you the results of their review, which takes far less time.

My mom had multiple post stroke, pre ablation appointments, tests, procedures, some were simple updates and council between patient and doctor. We drove an hour, waited in the lobby another half hour and saw 'doc' for five minutes.

They are just following procedure, as maddening as it was sometimes. Problems with the heart are particularly in depth, electrocardiograms, sonograms, angiograms, blah blah all have to be preformed to make sure they know how to proceed. Sometimes they get false positives or indications that lead to more testing. Then theres more appointments and council. The hospital doesn't come to you. You got a problem? Be positive, go through with it, don't get frustrated or lose hope. Its your loved one. They need the encouragement...

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 07:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79
a reply to: intrptr

Tell me about it.

Apparently upto 6 months waiting time for a stent is pretty normal up here. It's a joke.

Wow, that really is a long time. Do you know by chance what percent the artery is blocked and where in her body?

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 07:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

a reply to: intrptr

Tell me about it.

Apparently upto 6 months waiting time for a stent is pretty normal up here. It's a joke.

Wow, that really is a long time. Do you know by chance what percent the artery is blocked and where in her body?

I don't know the percent and I can't remember which artery. She's not in for me to ask. She decided that she would see family while she was down there. Making the most of the trip lol.

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

Okay, if not that critical, it may be further back in the que. Lots of people have problems with arterial blockage, closer to the brain and heart its a bigger issue than say in the limbs, for instance.

Also, damage to the heart from multiple hear attacks isn't going to be fixed by this. Blockages restrict blood flow, raising heart rate and pressure, increasing the work load on the heart.

Some people need multiple stents.

If not genetic, this is usually due to lifestyle, diet and generally, levels of anxiety.

So sorry to hear things taking a long time to get resolution, your NHS sounds like ours.

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I have to do a 90 mile round trip to see my surgeon, they are always late by 1 or 2 hours, had to wait 5 hours to see him once, just to see him for 2 minutes. But looking at the replies here one thing stands out, the extortionate parking fees. They basically have you by the short and curlies (does anyone say that any more lol), knowing that you will have to pay around £4 for 3 hours. Free for 15 minutes, but it takes longer than that just to get to the right department because it is usually on the other side of the hospital, also whilst passing vending machines full of expensive sugar.

In fact, Warrington hospital has a mini shopping centre at the entrance, just shows you what the NHSs priorities really are. Completely stupid in my opinion, but anything to get your £££s. Make the patients annoyed, bored, hungry, thirsty, then take the money.

A tip though, if you run over your alloted parking allowance you do NOT have to pay extra if your appointment is delayed.

I have to agree though, some things could be done/said over the phone, as long as the patient agrees, but that would cost the NHS money, and then they wouldnt get your custom and £££s.

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Moohide

I will add this because its about the parking.

When i went for a brain scan at my main 'local' hospital, it was on a sunday. The parking was free for the first 30 mins, presumably so regulars can get in and out delivering somthing to a freind/family member. This particular sunday we parked up, i went for my scan AND I WAS OUT IN 25 MINUTES!!!!! GASP AND SHOCK!

Of course this story of very fast in and out service only happend the once, but it was so shocking i just had to mention it!

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 04:04 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

I may be biased about the NHS but consultants are required to tell patients face to face when they have to inform them if a treatment has been approved or not. If there had been any problems, the appointment would have lasted a lot longer and your wife would have had lots of questions.

I know it's archaic and a waste of time when it could be done over the phone, but unfortunately the NHS spends more money on new managers that are not usually the best at cutting unnecessary costs.

I am not a cardiac nurse but if you want I can find out what's the approximate waiting time for a stent in Dorset, just for reference, because I have no idea how long it takes.

I'm presuming shes on some form of low income health care, that is reflected in the delays to get a life saving stent.

No, she is not on a low income health care: the UK's NHS is a socialized health care system, where nobody pays and everybody is treated according to their needs and not their income or social status. And despite some flaws (or many) it's available to anybody for free. Americans in London have told me many times how they wish they had the NHS in the US.

I have lived in other countries and the NHS is one of the best.

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 04:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Agartha

I understand that a consultant needs to explain things, but it was already explained when she was in last time.

Yesterday was a case of getting a letter to see a consultant to get told that the thing she is waiting for (the stent) has been approved and they'll send a letter out with an appointment.

Why not just send out the letter for the appointment and add a "if you have any questions please contact Dr. X"?

I'm in no way saying the NHS is useless or anything. They've done a lot for my wife over the years. It's just sometimes they seem to do things (the none serious things) in a way that makes no sense.
edit on 29102016 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 06:51 AM
link   

It's just sometimes they seem to do things (the none serious things) in a way that makes no sense.

Welcome to my everyday life! lol

There are so many things nurses have to do now that are a complete waste of time and they are all due to bureaucracy, all to make sure the Trust can tick a box that says 'nurses/doctors didn't follow procedure= we are not to blame'.

But, despite the faults, I think the NHS is great.

Where I work stents are inserted in the morning and patients usually go home in the evening, so at least the procedure won't take too much of your wife's time.

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 06:57 AM
link   

The joys of red tape lol.

She's expecting to be in over night. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best, type of thing.

I would hate to think how many 100s of thousands of pounds we would have had to have spent on her cancer alone, if there was no NHS. Chemo, consultants, removal of 90% of her large intestine, followups and after care, medications and so on.

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 07:09 AM
link   

The joys of red tape lol.

They do make us upset at times, but nothing we can do, and it's all down to the compensation culture that started in the US.

She's expecting to be in over night. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best, type of thing.

She'll be fine, I'm sure, they insert so many stents nowadays they do them with their eyes closed. lol

I would hate to think how many 100s of thousands of pounds we would have had to have spent on her cancer alone, if there was no NHS. Chemo, consultants, removal of 90% of her large intestine, followups and after care, medications and so on.

Exactly, we are so lucky to live here and to have the NHS knowing that if anything was to happen you can be admitted in hospital and you won't receive a bill that will cost a fortune.

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 07:36 AM
link   

I know, but she's just worried.

And the Americans think that social health care is some sort of evil thing lol.

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   

I have lived in other countries and the NHS is one of the best.

Yah, I hear how great it is too.

Not if it takes (according to OP) six months to get a stent to prevent further heart attacks.

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   

And the Americans think that social health care is some sort of evil thing lol.

lol but then Americans living in London love the NHS. The thing is you never know if you'll end up without a job and money, and knowing you can still access free healthcare is such a peace of mind.

Yah, I hear how great it is too.

Not if it takes (according to OP) six months to get a stent to prevent further heart attacks.

The problem with the NHS is that each Trust (local area) chooses to spend their budget differently, according to their local needs. Scotland is the region of the UK with the highest number of cardiovascular deaths (but there have been a 43% decrease which means things are getting better).

I will find out how long is the waiting time where I work to see if it's the same.

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Okay, thanks.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join