It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Gov. Bill Weld Encourges Supporters to Stop Trump

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

"I've given money to everyone on this stage", "I gave money to the Clinton campaign because I was a businessman in NY", "it's how business is done in America".

He's well known to have made political contributions and admitted repeatedly he was doing it for personal gain. I freely admit, in the scale of things, paying a bribe is far less offensive than demanding one. As the saying goes it takes two Tango. I cannot think of one instance where someone that that paid bribes came to power and then did not continue to enforce the "tradition" of demanding bribes.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

His success or lack of success with the budget doesn't seem relevant to his ideology and I highly disagree with you on the socially liberal bit... it is exactly libertarian to be extremely socially liberal.

We, the members of the Libertarian Party, challenge the cult of the omnipotent state and defend the rights of the individual. We hold that all individuals have the right to exercise sole dominion over their own lives, and have the right to live in whatever manner they choose, so long as they do not forcibly interfere with the equal right of others to live in whatever manner they choose.

2016 Libertarian Platform

That last bit justifies government protections of minority groups.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

They seem genuine enough to me. I voted for Johnson in 2012, granted he seemed more serious then.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Not precisely, the libertarian position is socially liberal inasmuch as it believes your rights end where mine begin. To that extent, if you want to go off and marry your dog, fine, but at the same time, you do not have the right to turn around and force anyone else to participate in your wedding.

So all of this suing bakers to make your cake or calling it hate speech when this or that religious institution does not recognize the rights of heterospecial marriage does not go on. You agree in your stead to accept that no one else has to understand or accept your lifestyle. They merely have to tolerate that your have the right to live it.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Ugh I can't believe after all this time, you still don't get the Public Accommodations clause.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

Ugh I can't believe after all this time, you still don't get the Public Accommodations clause.

We aren't arguing that. I am explaining what libertarianism is. The Public Accommodation clause is not libertarian.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Of course it is. I'll take up that argument tomorrow.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

Of course it is. I'll take up that argument tomorrow.

If it allows people to compel others to live and act in ways counter to their unalienable rights, then no it isn't.

If you read my description carefully, then you see that both people get to live as they desire without the the power to compel the other to live as they would prefer them to.

Another example of libertarianism would be legalizing drugs, but at the same time dismantling the safety net for those who cannot handle them.

You might choose to get in too deep, but society has no responsibility to support you in your vices.
edit on 26-10-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Public Accommodations doesn't compel anyone to do anything they wouldn't normally do. If you obtain a business license to sell products or services, in most jurisdictions you are contracting with the local government to sell to the general public. Public Accommodations had to come about because some people refused to accept some or all minority groups as the general public.

Another example of libertarianism would be legalizing drugs, but at the same time dismantling the safety net for those who cannot handle them. You might choose to get in too deep, but society has no responsibility to support you in your vices.

The addition of a safety net isn't oppositional to libertarianism. A populace may decide to create one to keep business flowing, streets clear of addicts etc...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join