It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Russia 'puzzled' by Norway's decision to host US Marines

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Norway is to break a decades-old commitment not to host foreign troops on its soil by accommodating 330 US Marines next year. Russia, the apparent target of the buildup, said it was puzzled by the move.

The Marines will be stationed at the Vaernes military base in central Norway from January, the Norwegian Defense Ministry said in a statement on Monday. The agreement for the deployment will be reviewed in the course of the year, it added.
SOURCE

I was one of the few posters on this forum who expressed that Norway's decision to have Marines deployed on its home soil was significant. Part of the reason I believe it is significant is Russia's reaction to the move.

Our opinions mean nothing in this matter. If Russia considers the move to be significant then it's significant. I wonder if posters will be able to put aside their egos for this thread and not focus on their view of this issue but focus on Russia's view.

Quoting from the article linked above:

"The deployment appears to be in line with NATO's strategy to boost its military presence close to Russia’s borders. The alliance decided to send four 1,000-strong battalions each to Poland and the Baltic states, claiming it was needed to deter Russia."

Please put it all in context from Russia's point of view.
edit on 26-10-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

330 servicemen is not a 'build up'.

Not sure why the Russians are worried, they can just deploy a shirtless Putin riding a weasel, riding a woodpecker.

edit on 26-10-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Typical RT.com spin. This is hardly a build up that targets Russia. It's most probably about training with NATO. After all, the UK does a lot of Arctic warfare training in Norway.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I seriously doubt Putin sees 330 guys as a threat. At least they're Marines, who are still fairly tough.

Our military is now so pathetic I doubt they could fight their way out of a paper bag.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

330 servicemen is not a 'build up'.

Not sure why the Russians are worried, they can just deploy a shirtless Putin riding a weasel, riding a woodpecker.

Shirtless Putin would kick mucho Jar head a$$

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: HUMBLEONE

He is a judo master after all, comrade.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: HUMBLEONE

He is a judo master after all, comrade.

SAMozashchita Bez Oruzhiya, (SAMBO) actually

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   
This is Russian spin or as I call it bold face lie. Norway has hosted forign troops for decades. The marines have regularly gone there since the 80s. The only diffrence now Is they may make it rotational meaning one group leaves another enters. Before it was 4 to 6 months a year.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Your own link states

Other NATO members have sent troops for training in Norway, with as many as 15,000 visitors arriving for an exercise in 2000. The new deployment of US Marines technically follows the same procedure, allowing US military personnel in Norway on provisional rotation rather than permanently.

What is the problem? There is no problem. The problem is why didn't you quote the above? It is just routine training.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Puzzled? Maybe Norway, along with the rest of the world, was watching the news when Russia annexed Crimea? Anyway, if 300 Marines is a cause for concern then Russia has much bigger problems.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   
PFFT... we trained a Russian airborne unit here at Carson about American tactics.
It's probably Climate farmiliarization/training methods.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Maybe they shouldn't have had a mock invasion of Norway.

Sour ce

Source 2

Norway Source

Or threatened to nuke Denmark. Or Black Sea grab in Georgia and Ukraine...
edit on 26-10-2016 by thesungod because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

It is and Profusion has posted like 3 threads on this. OP is seriously concerned about a Russian conflict. Which is not without merit.
edit on 26-10-2016 by thesungod because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: 123143

Possibly the most ignorant comment I've seen today. Our military is one of the only first would Armys with combat experience, but nice try on getting a few stars for a weak statment.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: thesungod

With this IDIOT in charge WHO isn't worried?

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Me. I'm out on the 3rd again for a while. Where I'm going no wants to. LOL.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 07:31 PM
link   

What do you mean?

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 07:42 PM
link   
God bless my Viking kinsman.

Heil Norge!!

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Source

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Dude in THIS country I don't see HOW a small business can stand.
Come to Colorado We have 5 bases to play with.
What does your company do?

new topics

<<   2 >>

join