It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spellcheck definition and correction occurrence.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   
(Positivity says its not in this dictionary but negativity is? It wants to replace it with positivist? Which it's definition is blurry to me?)

The spellchecker is telling me positivity is incorrect and suggests positivist or positivism? Also to google positivist, positism comes up first. Just happened and I am baffled.

Positivist: 1.the state or quality of being positive; definiteness; assurance.
2.a philosophical system founded by Auguste Comte, concerned with positive facts and phenomena, and excluding speculation upon ultimate causes or origins.

Positivism: Positivism is a philosophical theory stating that positive knowledge is based on natural phenomena and their properties and relations. Thus, information derived from sensory experience, interpreted through reason and logic, forms the exclusive source of all authoritative knowledge.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   
So.....Ignore your spell checker or use a different one.

Not really sure what your point is here...
edit on 10/26/2016 by AdmireTheDistance because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   
When spellchecks give me the red squiggly middle finger, I just spell it how I want. I KNOW if its not really spelled how I just spelled it, then it SHOULD be... dammit.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: randomthoughts12

When in doubt, always go to the experts, Meriam-Webster. It's a word.

Definition of positivity
plural positivities

: the quality or state of being positive

: something that is positive

(Maybe you were using it incorrectly in your sentence.)

edit on 26-10-2016 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

No I knew roughly what they meant.

The thing is it is odd for it to not accept positivity as a correctly spelled word but negativity is fine. Like a mind media thing or like saying positivity is offensive and refers to positivism or positivist when it has some murky words in the definition of these two words.

Just odd and made no since and I thought really deep into it as a small attempt to subliminally push perceptions. Almost as if something is protesting the word positivity.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Advantage

Positivity is how you spell it. However on my spell check it shows the red squiggly mark saying it is not spelled right but it is. Negativity passes just fine and no red.

The suggestions to positivity is the two words I defined! This makes no sense to me.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   

I think it could be language related and I just thought to far into it. However positivity is in the Webster and correct as is negativity. So it just bugged me out. Thinking people were starting to spin as positivity is offensive. SMH

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Mainly the problem is not that your spell check says it is not a word, the problem is that most spell checkers have a limited dictionary and not every word in the English language is in your spell checkers dictionary. So it did not recognize the word. Most have a way to add words to the dictionary. Just use that feature when you run into a word that it doesn't recognize but you know is correct.

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Wolfie0827

Yes I have 10 years in IT so I know how it works basically. I think you could be correct as to Positivity is after Negativity in the order. So positivity would be left out first due to said capacity. I think problem solved and I read way far into it.

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 10:27 AM
link   

(showing my age.) I've been working with PC's since before they were called PC's (over 37 years.) This is why my first thought was "not in dictionary", That was a very big thing when the spell checking software first came out. Hell, when it first came out it was a separate program from the document/text editors.

(Damn, I feel old now.)

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Positivity, positivity....nope, no spell-check, red wavy line for me...and please trust me, I see it a lot when I am typing.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: fromtheskydown

I just had a coincidence turn into a very deep over thinking of the coincidence.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 04:48 PM
link   

well my spell checker has a add to dictionary feature, if i know that the word is spelled one way i add it.
don't ask me where it came from it's either from firefox or windows. i think maybe firefox.

can the sever have a spell checker?

ETA: i should mention my spelling sucks, so when i know it's right i don't let some stinking machine tell me otherwise that's why i add it.
edit on 24-2-2017 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

top topics

join