It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Trooper's widow urges voters to reject legalizing marijuana

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 12:06 AM
link   
a reply to: searcherfortruth

" when a medical marijuana patient "

A Tragic Story for sure , but one Incident invoking an Emotional Response from a Widow does not warrant Condemnation of All American Citizens who were Prescribed Legal Medical Marijuana from a Doctor .

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 12:49 AM
link   
This is just my two cents worth on the subject. As much as I am pro-legalization of cannabis.... I realize we live in a society where it requires a great deal of responsibility to participate in our transportation system.

As a general rule I don't believe that cannabis use has a significant impact on someone's ability to operate a vehicle safely but that does not mean that is the case in every instance. And I am in no way saying that the man who caused this accident was impaired by cannabis use... for all I know he could have been talking or texting on his cell phone at the time of the accident.

But in my mind it is completely understandable for the wife of this man to believe that the cannabis did have a part to play in this accident. And it is completely understandable to me for her to want to magnify her voice and speak out against what she is convicted of regarding that... and yes I realize her situation is being capitalized on by the people who want to push the agenda to prevent marijuana legalization.

Unfortunately because of the type of transportation system we have we do have a problem that is going to be very hard to solve.... the bottom line is... it requires personal responsibility for us to be able to have a safe transportation system and personal responsibility is not something that can be legislated.

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 05:58 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

Well no - heroin is still not a plant, its like saying a gorilla is a human in an evolution thread.

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 08:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79

Why not legalise heroin too? After all "it's just a plant", just like cannabis is "just a plant".

Or opium? (Same plant as heroin)

Plants can't be dangerous.

/sarcasm

Some plants are obviously dangerous, and some are NOT (like marijuana). Having trouble deciphering between the two or something? The blatant dangers of heroin are very real. Addiction, overdosing, death. The "dangers" of marijuana? Hmm, overeating?

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Curious...you think using pot is a "right"?

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: stolencar18
a reply to: TonyS

Curious...you think using pot is a "right"?

Self determination is a right.

Long as my freedom does not directly harm another, what I do is not yours or the governments business.

If i want to drink bleach , that should be my right.

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: stolencar18

Absolutely! Its anatural product with great health benefits!

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: stolencar18

I absolutely believe that every human should have the right to use marijuana... But I do not believe they should have the right to use marijuana and drive or operate equipment that could potentially harm someone else

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   

I agree. It is miserable to use the story in such context to push forward your own agenda while completely ignoring all the facts and, most of all, common sense. A crash can happen anytime in a couple of seconds, if you don`t pay attention to the road and traffic, even when sober. Being sober, however, maximises concentration and minimizes the risk of making a mistake. Funny thing is that, statistically, most accidents happen due to the driver distraction and fatigue, followed by alcohol.

To avoid such cases in the future. here is a solution:

1. Legalise MJ (once and for all).

2. Open up a taxi franchise aka 'pot cab' where you can buy and smoke, as well as go to places, possibly with a discount if you purchased something. The driver`s place would have to be separated from the passangers though...for the obvious reason (passive inhalation).

3. Overcome the stereotypes and make it a trend.

Problem solved.

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Unneeded incarnations that stay on one's record thus making it very difficult to find employment. Thus leading the perp to even more crime.

Those suffering from seizures could be on cbd oil which is doing wonders for those that try it.

It being illegal is what makes it a gateway drug as it more easily allows people to be introduced to other illegal drugs.

Last but not least it has made us reliant on ancient oil reserves when we could have already had a renewable bio fuel infrastructure in place.

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee

It can be vaporized so no ill respiratory effects, prescription drugs have just as much a chance if not more to cause psychotic episodes in those already at high risk for such episodes.

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Thousands are killed by drunk drivers yearly, where is the outrage and demands for illegality?

Oh yeah, ......

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

There is some truth to what they posted, but isn't as severe as is being implied. Having been a smoker for over a decade i can confirm that weed is addictive, but about as addictive as nicotine or caffeine. When not using You get irritable and maybe some cold sweats and a headache for a few days but that is it. I would say the habit itself and smoking with friends is more addicting than the drug itself.

Also it doesn't actually cause psychotic episodes in normal people. That is almost impossible, but if they already have a psychotic condition. Diagnosed or not it could cause problems, but the same could be said about any mind altering substance they may ingest.

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee

It would be no more accessible than it already is. As they would still have to find someone that would sell it to them illegally. At the very least I would rather them get legal medical grade than the crap on the streets that could be laced with other hard drugs or even dipped in formaldehyde in some cases.

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Yea that behavior is usually associated with hard drugs and not marijuana.

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   
In Washington, people on medical marijuana used to be able to smoke and drive. But with the legalization of recreational marijuana, new laws make it illegal to drive under the influence and there is a blood test that can be administered similar to a breathalyzer. There is a legal limit for THC just like alcohol. So it is safer now.

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   
If someone in my family were killed because of "whatever", I would probably be on a rant about it too. But, and this is the important thing, I don't see anything that said the accident was because of the medical marijuana. If the marijuana caused the accident then perhaps it should be prescribed with restrictions on driving motor vehicles or operating heavy machinery, in the same manner as opioid pain relievers. You can address the issue without making the substance illegal. Not to mention the fact that laws do not stop people from doing things. They only give you a reason and a way to prosecute afterward.

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79

originally posted by: vonclod

You're kidding right?

Nope. Completely serious.

How has making cannabis illegal made your country worse?

It might make it worse for the people getting arrested, but certainly not as a country.

How about the massive abuse of prescription medications? Much of it can be negated by using Marijuana. Pain management. Mental illness. Epilepsy. A lot of chronic illnesses. The point you're trying to make doesn't exist. Comparing Marijuana to heroin is like comparing a tree to the synthetic wood flooring in modern homes. Heroin isn't natural. Heroin is highly synthesized from the poppy plants, mixed with chemicals and other PRESCRIPTION (synthetic) opioids, like fentanyl.

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: DaCook

originally posted by: NuncaPiensas

I feel sadness for the trooper and his family who lost him.

However, this is not a case of marijuana being the cause of the troopers death. It was caused by the actions of the person who killed him.

This person would have made the same poor choices with alcohol, marijuana, or any other substance.

Good post, kinda hit the nail on the head. Guns don't kill, people do. For sure pot did it. Does it every time and always has.

Denny

I take it that your comments about pot are sarcastic ones.

I am just hoping to see the day when we are hit with a virus....a virus that finally makes mankind actually stand up and be responsible for their own faults.

When responsibility is the norm, not blaming anything they can get away with to divert blame.

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 09:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: DaCook

I feel sadness for the trooper and his family who lost him.

However, this is not a case of marijuana being the cause of the troopers death. It was caused by the actions of the person who killed him.

This person would have made the same poor choices with alcohol, marijuana, or any other substance.

Good post, kinda hit the nail on the head. Guns don't kill, people do. For sure pot did it. Does it every time and always has.

Denny

I take it that your comments about pot are sarcastic ones.

I am just hoping to see the day when we are hit with a virus....a virus that finally makes mankind actually stand up and be responsible for their own faults.

When responsibility is the norm, not blaming anything they can get away with to divert blame.

What the hell is that about? When I went to college, pretty much everyone I knew smoked pot n drank some. Just college kids being college kids, we even occasionally had sex. Shame on us! Hell, we used to do parties, smoked pot, drank, n if ya got lucky... had a little sex. Obviously god would have spited us all n destroyed our town.

Problem is all my roommates got advanced degrees. Some are physicians, some attorneys, some did other things like being teachers. Sorry, I've helped teach over a hundred surgical courses, oversaw industry standards thousands of surgeons n my best friend and former roommate is an attorney. Sorry that I was never a responsible person. Damn to this day, I'll smoke a little pot, drink some, n if I'm lucky... have a little sex. Hope god does't get me. But no one I know murdered anyone. Sorry to disappoint.

Denny

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join