It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Shed 12

page: 122
<< 119  120  121    123  124  125 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: JustMike

Yeh he is a cool one for sure! Just pulled a couple links You may want to look at...
www.ebay.com...

www.ebay.ie...

I want this one next!!!

www.ebay.com... 222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D38530%26meid%3Db146e0fc607d41e19116f9e3dca7610a%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D181848758927

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Oh my, I'm behind in here.

Kaelci, so glad to hear you are feeling better. Perhaps when you have time, you can make another story entry in here. You kind of left us hanging, like...oooooh, what will happen next???

Shep, enjoyed your story as always! With your story as well, I am anxious to see what will happen next.

CC, that avatar is perfect for you!! I'm glad I have the bigger pic and will be sure to use it more.

The mustache cup was used to hold some kind of shaving cream?

Syx, I will get to your contest story as well as JD's and Gordis and whoever else enters when I have more time.

Hello Sir Gordi, like I said to Syx, I will get to the contest stories to read them when I can. Maybe some Morning over a good cup of coffee.

Mike, always so happy to see you! I have been dying to get back to your book. I don't remember which chapter I'm up to, but our girl just fell and now has the same injuries as the Goddess. I knew that part was coming. LOL! Still, a story well told and it holds my attention which isn't easy to do sometimes. I agree with Gordi and what you said about story tellers. Well said indeed! Hug Dada for me will you?

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: SyxPak

Nice dragons Syx!

This was the last I bought as I had all dark colored ones. I thought the ice dragon would be different and got it for my Husband.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Ice DRagons are cool!! I like that one!!

Umm, the mustache cup is for Hot beverages. Years ago, when it was invented, the guys used to wax their mustaches. So when drinking hot liquids, it melted the wax. SO a dam was made inside the cup with a small hole in it to keep the hot fluids directly from the mustache. Problem solved!!

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Ah, nice piece of trivia! I didn't know they waxed their mustaches back then. Interesting. I love antiques!!

I once had a chamber pot that I used as a planter. LOL True story! They made some really pretty chamber pots back then.

edit on 1-12-2016 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: PrairieShepherd
I understand. Believe me, I do.

I'm not great authority and make no claims to special knowledge. I'm just some guy. But allow me to post some thoughts.

It's not what, or where, or who you are that matters. It's where you take your readers: the realms of dreams you draw them into, so sometimes, they might not even be sure what thoughts are theirs, and what are yours. That's what matters.

When a reader sheds tears over a character, or laughs with them, it's because you probably did as well. As the great Robert Frost once said: "No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. No surprise in the writer, no surprise in the reader."

It's true. I've cried buckets with (and for) some of my characters. Or laughed, ditto. And yes, I've had ones who've surprised me. Sometimes they are so real that I am not even sure exactly what they are going to do or say next. But they have to be real. If they are not real to the writer, the reader cannot "suspend disbelief" enough to feel something for them. And feelings are the basis of it all.

Emotion is important, because we are, quintessentially, emotional beings. There are short stories I've posted on ATS where members have replied to tell me they cried. I am glad for them (and I feel blessed), because we need to let our feelings out sometimes. So, if our words can help people do that, it can be cathartic for them.

Telling a story is not just about "the story". It's about making words into worlds, and making people feel part of it all. And I think you, and some others who post their writings here, can do this.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Darn... I might have to go into the dragon-carving business later on when I have my workshop all set up! Love to get into carving/sculpting again!

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   

In a few more episodes, we get a pretty raw glimpse of one of the characters in my story. It's a new chunk that I have written since participating in the Shed. I wrote it in about 10 minutes, and although I've since refined it, when I read it back to myself I wept - for the character.

I relate that because I think I understand what you're saying. What is interesting - or maybe funny, or ironic, or even possibly sad - is that the first times that happened to me I was quite embarrassed. "Oh good Lord what is happening to me? I'm getting choked up reading about a character??"

But I found myself going back to those parts, reading them over and over. As I think back, it is the strong emotions that keep me coming back to my favorite books. I will read the entirety of The Wheel of Time for the sake of certain passages I find uber-emotional. Same thing with music, for me.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Very well said my friend!!

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Ah, that scene's towards the end of chapter 8. So, you still have about 240 pages to go. Better get busy, young lady, I want your book report on Tuesday!

But seriously, thank you for the kind words. I know you have been under the weather recently, so I hope you can get back to the story soon.

Most of all, I'm just glad you have it.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: PrairieShepherd
When characters affect you that way, regardless of whether they are in your own stories or those written by others, they have become more than characters. They've become utterly real, and they need to be that way if readers are to believe in them.

Some say that stories are purely escapism. Perhaps they are, in some ways. But not only that. I like to think that sometimes, stories are the opposite: we are not escaping into them, we wander willingly into them: they are places where we'd like to stay a while. Not to hide from the world outside, but because we feel like we belong there. Other times? Yes, they can be an escape route from our real world.

Subtle differences, perhaps. But at the end of the day, if you shed a tear over some written words, something special has happened. And if others do likewise over ones you wrote, you are as blessed as the ones who are touched by them.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Kaelci, so glad to hear you are feeling better. Perhaps when you have time, you can make another story entry in here. You kind of left us hanging, like...oooooh, what will happen next???

I've been trying!

It hasn't been easy... I know what I want to happen, but honestly.. my last entry was 2 weeks ago.. and then my son was sick, and then I got sick, and I'm still recovering. I've been trying though! I've written the first paragraph of my next entry! But as for the rest, slowwwww progress..

I wanted it done by October... this little story arc was supposed to be written for October, it was supposed to be dark and creepy, and a culmination of Kaelci and Darien's experiences with Sita... didn't quite go as planned. So. Guess we'll have a spooky Christmas. How fitting considering the short story contest at the moment! Haha.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 05:13 PM
link   

I'll probably get to read more in a day or two. I really am enjoying your book very much!

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: kaelci

I understand Sweet Pea. I'll be here when you are ready to continue your story.

Feeling so sleepy for some reason. Might go rest on the couch for a bit. Soon I think.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Man do I have catching up to do....I have been playing elsewhere on ATS
OK give me a bit

Hello everyone!!!!!

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Hello who ever is here

I love this sentiment. I wish I could honestly apply it every day.
And this is how I revere you.
But I am not ashamed to say I could use a hug, just a big virtual hug, Thank You

Back when "letters" existed I would be so thrilled to receive a three month old hug from some who had taken the time to read my letter, contemplate an answer and share their woes.
I would save the letter for a private moment and make time to inhale all of it and savor the emotions. I could hear their voices, so intimate so close, but not touching and I would cry, longing to truly hear them, hold a hand, stroke a tear off a cheek.
Thus I listen to you. Thus I beg you listen to me.

edit on 1-12-2016 by WalkInSilence because: Bah Humbug

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: WalkInSilence
Sending hugs your way sweetie!!!!!

a reply to: JinMI
Is that your crew? LOL

edit on 12/1/2016 by Martin75 because: wrong pic showed up

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: WalkInSilence

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

The lil guy in the basket is mine, the rest are The Shed Bebies!!

top topics

<< 119  120  121    123  124  125 >>

join