It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Mexican Candy.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I've always liked Mexican sodas, but never cared much for the candies, today that all changed, ate something called Pelon Peloneta, Tamarind and Mango.
I went back and bought 10, think I should go back and buy the rest of the box. Not sure what happened, I love mangos, I love chiles, I have no idea wtf tamarind is.

But it's banging

Some sort of spicy taffy going on, then a mango sucker, but you bite into?

Explosion of chile!

3 Taco Trucks on Every CORNER!

What are Mexican candies that I need to try?
edit on 25-10-2016 by Lysergic because: keyboard disphoria

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 10:05 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

i think you should go back and buy the box. i would.

if there is a sour taste to it, that is the tamarind

i love the thought of mango and tamarind and chili. i shall try to mix something up like this, next mango season. have no idea where i could get mexican candies.

awesome !

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Seriously? I just had a co-worker spend 7 days in Mexico and brought back "Mexican candy". it was just nasty fake chocolate from china in a wrapper that made it seem like original Mexican candy. If you spent any real time in Mexico you would see the thousands of scammers trying to sell Americans "original Mexican stuff". I leaned when I bought a clay sun that looked original. When I gave it to my mother she pointed out it said made in china.... I was like really? They said they spend hours making it... She was like you went to a boarder town in Mexico and got scammed... I was like yeah, it was Calexico. She said yea, you got scammed.
edit on 25-10-2016 by Orionx2 because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-10-2016 by Orionx2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Orionx2

that makes sense. tamarind is used in asian cooking.

still sounds delicious !

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 10:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: lucia2389
a reply to: Orionx2

that makes sense. tamarind is used in asian cooking.

still sounds delicious !

I had a Vietnamese immigrant on one of my crews in the past. That guy could not only out work any American I ever worked with but could make the most amazing Vietnamese cuisine. I always requested him on my crew even though he could barely speak English.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 10:20 PM
link   
ARGH!!! Tamarind? Tastes like poo.. not that Ive tasted poo, but I imagine it could taste like tamarind if the poo-er ate something sour and disgusting pre poo.

This right here.. order it.. eat it.. thank me later

www.mexgrocer.com...

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Sometimes, I can find tamarind in our grocery stores up here. It comes in brown pods.

So, for the person who said it tastes like poo, it kind of looks like it too.

Husband had some Mexican VIPs come through at work and they left everyone assortments of Mexican candies as an appreciation gesture. There was some tamarind/chili stuff in there. He didn't care for it, but I was getting the hang of it just about the time I ran out.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 11:27 PM
link   

You should also try the cacahuates japones...

...and the coconut flags (Bandera de coco)

edit on 25-10-2016 by Dan00 because:

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 11:48 PM
link   

I hate pelon. My daughter loves it.

Mexican candies are strange. They use too much chilli in everything.

There is nothing like a european style candy store. Nothing. Americans and the world have no idea.

It is heaven.

Some mexican candy is good. No complaints about the "de la rosa" penut powder cakes.

I like the cacahuetes japoneses.

We have salt water taffy though....sooo

Candy!!!
edit on 10 25 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 08:01 AM
link   

tamarindo....i like it in moderation. I like the pelonetas. pelon means "bald".

you might try pulparindo. Similar, but no mango. Mazapan de la rosa is good, too. its a dry marzapan type candy. I also like the crystalized sweet potato:

Dulce de Leche is something I like, but Mexican chocolate is just terrible. Even Hershey's bought in Mexico. Just terrible.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   
speaking of chocolate.

Anybody here ever try oaxacan cuisine? Its in my opinion the most sophisticated and flavorful of the mexican regional cooking.

I have tones of that demographic in my neighbirhood and i love the food.

But more importantly i wanted to ask what folks opinions or experiences are with eating Mole' Negro. I love it its basicalky a chocolate based sauce accented with peppers and things like raisins. They smother chicken with it.

Anybody got any opinions on the chocolate mole?

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR
speaking of chocolate.

Anybody here ever try oaxacan cuisine? Its in my opinion the most sophisticated and flavorful of the mexican regional cooking.

I have tones of that demographic in my neighbirhood and i love the food.

But more importantly i wanted to ask what folks opinions or experiences are with eating Mole' Negro. I love it its basicalky a chocolate based sauce accented with peppers and things like raisins. They smother chicken with it.

Anybody got any opinions on the chocolate mole?

My favorite way to eat mole is with my elbows up and my face down, corn tortilla in each hand.

No 2 mole's are the same. Its one of the best things about it. Everyone has their "secret ingredient". One lady I met used peanut butter. Another used bone marrow (that was a phenomenal mole, btw).

For those who've not eaten it, "chocolate" is not meaning 'sweet" here. Its a spicy, savory sauce using the bitter of chocolate as the canvas.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I enjoy Mexican candy but don't get too enjoy it much where I currently live.

Tamarind and other spicy/sour candy were my favorite. They also have the chili powder and fruit lollipops, and a version of sour strips that's much more potent IMHO.

You may even find some tamarind ice cream. May sound crazy but it's insanely good.

Try some cut fruit with a generous dash of Tajin.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   
They use tamarinds to make Worcestershire Sauce. The tamarinds you see in the store taste a lot like prunes to me. I tasted them fresh off the tree once, but it was so many years ago that I can't remember what they tasted like.

I bought mole & guava paste when they used to have them in a store here. I imagine the 'real ones' are even better!

One thing I used to be able to find around Cinco de Mayo, was something like tiny little coconuts.
They came in a cellophane bag, were about the size of big grapes & didn't have a rind or skin on them. They tasted like coconuts too & I think they were hollow. I've always wondered if they were some kind of young coconut, or something completely different?

WOQ

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Vero Elotes....

Its the corporate manufactured version of what we used to enjoy from the ice cream man growing up:

Which is basically pulparindo smeared on a spoon, wrapped in plastic wrap. That, and then one of these:

for $1.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Tamarind preparations are used for fevers, sore throat, rheumatism, inflammation, and sunstroke.

new topics

top topics

join