It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia produces world record sniper that can pick off targets 2 MILES away

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   
From the country that designed and built the AK-47 and SKS by the truck load.

The unique weapon that they claim can do the job is produced by Lobaev Arms, located in the town of Tarusa in western Russia's Kaluga Oblast. Head of the company Nikolay Lobaev says that their unique rifle is called the SVLK-14 Sumrak (Twilight) and is able to hit targets over 3 kilometres (1.86 miles) away.

He said: "Last year we successfully shot a target 3,400 meters (3,718 yards) away. Since then, we have implemented a number of innovations including making the barrel longer and the bullet slightly heavier. Hopefully, this year we will be able to set a new record." Nikolay Lobaev and his team now hope to hit a target at 4,200 meters (4,593 yards).

If this proves to be a true new big boy on the block how are the likes of Barrett semi auto (1800m) and the M-40A3 bolt action(1000m) going to deal? Also the record sniper shot is 2474.97m.

How often is that range needed? Of course it's better to have and not need then to need and not have.

www.thesun.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Arms manufacturer

For those of you who don’t know, We are in the preparation process to the сейчас new world record for a longest ever shot. Preliminary range is set as 3600 meters. Previous Russian record (3400meters) was beaten by American shooter (3475m). Now, it’s our turn.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Holy Cow! Texan Makes Record-Shattering 4,210 Yard Rifle Shot

I guess the army will have to upgrade to CheyTac

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: thesungod

Thanks for the link, I had no idea they were out that far. 4,200 meters seems like a big leap from 3475m. I look forward to the news.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Just saw your link as "the sun" OK, i'm out

Dear Deirdre!!

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 06:51 PM
link   

I had a hard time believing the one mile American sniper shot. So, naturally, Im sceptical as the distance, trajectory, velocity/speed, air movement and curvature of the Earth per mile...( I think the Earth curves 3ft per mile? I may be wrong about that...)..makes it extremely hard...though probably possible.

So...2 miles accuracy is kinda hard to believe.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Until they make a confirmed kill, its all Bravo Sierra.

This is just a 1,000 yards range. Or 4x the distance.
I'm not even going to start on the physics

Buck

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 06:53 PM
link   

With all of Hillary's posturing about Russia I question the timing of this article :O

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Elevation & Windage....
I assume the target is stationary... (so no lead time needs to be factored in)

I am sure these shooters are utilizing every high-tech accessory available...
give me a box of ammo used in the target competition...I will do as I did in my Army training without any special scopes or tech stuff... I had to request a reexamination of the furtherest target that was counted a miss (but was verified a hit...into the same bullet hole in the heart, off only by a fraction... thus a 100% hit on every target, but I could not join Rangers/Airborne/Sniper School/OCS as I was only 17 at the time) Ft Jackson, A-7-2 on the slope of drag-ass-hill, summer '65
edit on th31147744014225022016 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: thesungod

And I thought I found a little nugget of news, turns out a crew of guys from Texas are the record holders.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: flatbush71
Until they make a confirmed kill, its all Bravo Sierra.

This is just a 1,000 yards range. Or 4x the distance.
I'm not even going to start on the physics

[img]https://i.ytimg.com/vi/0UhwX4oJgpY/maxresdefault.jpg[/i mg]

Buck

Bullets will, one day, have Ailerons, elevators and stabilisers with cameras, deployed after barrel release, hell, everything else has

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   
They say a killer's cowardice level is measured by the distance between him and his victim.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   
meh....... when they can top this guy. I'll be impressed

www.simohayha.com...

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueShaman
They say a killer's cowardice level is measured by the distance between him and his victim.

Kill shot ........... from distance ........top ability if repeatable, not cowardice

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: flatbush71

Typically I agree.

But they get even get out there with confirmed now.

List of confirmed kills over 1250m/1360yds

Corporal of Horse (CoH) Craig Harrison November 2009 2,475 m (2,707 yd) Accuracy International L115A3 .338 Lapua Magnum LockBase B408 bullets

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueShaman

And the samurai didn't use bows... /sarcasm

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 07:35 PM
link   
On a nice perfectly still day. But not when the wind blows I know from experience.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueShaman

There was a recent case of an ISIS executioner who apparently enjoyed using a flame thrower to kill his victims, including women who had the misfortune to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. He decided it would be cool to film him doing that so he had three assistants with the camera gear to 'witness' this execution of several people at once.

The sniper, an SAS (UK) member, took out the executioner and his three assistants by hitting the gasoline canister attached to the flamethrower. You can read about it HERE.

So....I guess the sniper was just a coward, right?

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Assumeing the target is stationary, wind speed is zero you can get good range.

BUT seldom is this the case for a sniper.
You can have wind coming from 3 or 4 directions as the bullet travels down range.

Records for snipers can only be set in combat.
Shooting Range records don't count.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   

I think the upper limit on a dedicated sniper rifle will eventually boil down to "if I can see it in the scope, I can shoot it in the head". That certainly seems to be the way things are headed.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join