It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Half of U.S. Adults Are in Police Facial Recognition Networks

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 08:21 AM
link   

At least half of American adults are pictured in a facial recognition network used by law enforcement, according to a report published Tuesday by Georgetown University’s Center on Privacy and Technology, which recommends prompt adoption of privacy protections.

The report says a minimum of 117 million adults have been entered into such a network because they are licensed to drive in one of 26 states that allow police to search driver's license photos for face matches. And it’s possible many more people are affected.

Four additional states were not counted toward the total, with the center unable to verify reports in the Washington Post and Cincinnati Enquirer that Indiana, Massachusetts, Mississippi and South Dakota allow police to scan driver's license photos.

Though many unknowns remain, the report uses about 100 responses to public record requests to build a more complete picture of the emerging technology's use.

In addition to distinct state systems, the FBI has a large facial recognition network of more than 400 million photos belonging to an unknown number of people featured in mugshots or striking a non-criminal pose for civil purposes.

Half of U.S. Adults Are in Police Facial Recognition Networks

Don't know what to say about this, ATS. I feel violated yet I'm not a criminal and I want them to get the bad guys so I ask ATS for guidance....So, what says ATS?

edit on 25-10-2016 by lostbook because: word add

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

It's nothing surprising to me.

They have your photo from your driver's license in a database.

It's not inconceivable to think that they would run the database through some type of algorithmic software in today's times.

What astonishes me is the level of complicity in the general public when it comes to posting compromising photos of themselves on social media.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 08:48 AM
link   

It is hard to fight the trend. As I've been saying for years and years, Americans, above all others, are going to have a hard time accepting that government will eventually take away what was formerly seen as unalterable and unquestioned "freedoms."

Many of those "freedoms" are mental constructs that bare no relationship to our existence in the real world. But yet, it is perceived by many as a personal hit, a distrust of the individual and a presumption that everybody is guilty until they have the crime.

Unmentioned aspect in the OP, of course, is that along with the registering of facial recog data is that our automobiles are probably nearly 100% (in urban areas) logged into these systems. We see the evidence of this ability when crimes happen in one state and the suspect in the vehicle is shortly appended in another state. Not too long ago this ability to share this info between states was simply not done, but with license plate readers and law-enforcement networks, this ability becomes common place.

I think that the new definition of "freedom" is the "freedom to NOT to disobey the law." It is hard to argue against that interpretation.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 08:49 AM
link   
My wife took a picture "selfie" with her mother and posted it on facebook.
Facebook tagged her mother.

Kinda creepy

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Unless you were born and are still living completely off the grid, you are on some kind of list. And I mean completely off grid. No driver's license, utilities, insurance..any and all ways that we interact on an everyday basis.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 08:56 AM
link   

And in the UK....everyone is.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Thankfully I'm in Ohio which to my knowledge doesn't participate in that...

I will say I kind of assumed we are all already in some sort of facial recognition database anyhow, whether it's admitted or not.

-Alee

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Here in the state of Michigan if you have a drivers license you are in the facial rec system. Yep, your pic on your license is a computerized digital facial rec pic.

And for the if I'm not doing anything I have nothing to fear. Why oh why do they need this on our license. I did ask why they need this, and I basically got a "because we are answer" in an email from the secretary of state main office. I don't like the cameras all over, license plates, licenses and facial recs cams that are becoming more and more a part of our lives.

Licenses (of all sorts) and license plates are not there for the driver or licensee, they are there to track and control and to raise $ for the govt.

I can prove that the license is only there to track, control and raise $. Go to your car get in and drive it with your license, then try it but leave your license at home. Still drove right?

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   
only half? yeah right... as a previous poster said, facebook auto tags people on your friends list. theres bound to be a database with pretty much everyone in the US at least partial facial recognition. that being said, I cant imagine how hard you would have to go about your day to stay off ccvt, atm cams, traffic cams... you get the idea.

so unless you are completely off the grid, and have been for the last 5-10 years, they have your face...

as I type this I re-read the OP said police networks, but im pretty sure they are all tied in with a lot of federal networks. I think even Podunk cop shops with limited access, still have access to those networks.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
My wife took a picture "selfie" with her mother and posted it on facebook.
Facebook tagged her mother.

Kinda creepy

Exactly. If you look at what FB does with facial recognition it's hardly a surprise that (the) government(s) has similar technology.

Millions of Facebook users are giving away their personal information and most recent photographs up freely. They shouldn't really be crying over privacy then, should they?

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Not a major concern unless something or someone hacked all the weaponized drones and equipments in a terminator movie type act and used facial recognition from some facial related social media to hunt down targets. In essence allowing the drones and equipment to track or hunt facial uploaded targets related to for example hate-terror groups or religious or political influenced groups...
Imagine if a dictator like Hitler had control of such a apparatus and took facial data of his targets and uploaded them for track and hunt. Basic anywhere your facial data was detected the drones would locate.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Gemwolf

The government is prolly in cahoots with facebook.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 09:20 AM
link   
This has nothing to do with freedom, but with choice.

Driving is not a right, it is a privilege. With privileges come requirements. It is much the same as voting. Should you choose to participate in this activity, then you also choose to allow yourself to be identified. It is really quite simple and is about responsibility and liability.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Well, you know what they say. If you've got nothing to hide...

Little by little our privacy ceases to exist, and if you don't like it then you must be a pedophile or a serial killer.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: JDeLattre89

Driving is not a right, it is a privilege.

At risk of sounding ignorant on this issue, why do you say it isn't a right/freedom?

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

They have your photo from your driver's license in a database.

basically what i was gonna say.

with the Real ID Act i'm surprised that that only half are in the system.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Your rights are granted by either god or the constitution. Nowhere does either say you have the / a right to drive (or ride a horse etc...). No, it is a privilege provided to you with restrictions (such as in most states you must also have liability insurance).

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

it is a privilege, it is not any thing guaranteed in the constitution. therefore it is a privilege.
in the Declaration of Independence the founders said that certain “unalienable rights,” come from our creator, not from government, and in the The Constitution they are enumerated, The Bill Of Rights.

another way to look at it is you own the rights guaranteed in the constitution, even if the people in the government want or we the people allow those in government to pass laws that take them away.

you as a individual do not own the roads, the state and feds do, therefore they can tell you what you can and can't do and what regulations you have to follow in order to drive on their roads.

if you had property and had a road on it, that someone needed to use to get to their property, or let someone drive on it. you as the land owner (at least here in my county) only have to provide a evesment, to get to their property and you do not have to maintain it in any particular shape, or even have a drivers license to operate a motor vehicle on it, it is your property. the roads and highways are a public domain ie owned by the state and feds and have to be maintained for public safety.

hope that helps you understand some.

edit on 25-10-2016 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Gemwolf

Millions of Facebook users are giving away their personal information and most recent photographs up freely. They shouldn't really be crying over privacy then, should they?

Precisely my point.

I cannot say that I am completely 'off the grid' so to speak but I have never had a Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, etc. and It's a decision that I am totally comfortable with.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   

I feel violated yet I'm not a criminal and I want them to get the bad guys so I ask ATS for guidance....

They'll just change the definition of criminal if they need to.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join