It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

PC Pandering GONE WILD: "Iron Man" is now 15 year old black 'Iron Teenage Girl'

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   
If they were actually writing decent stories and not just changing characters it would be one thing. The Iron Man change isn't even the tip of the ice berg. The Hulk he is now Asian, Wolverine is a girl, Thor is now a woman and Captain America is a split between two. Now most of the old familiar favorites have either undergone a change in gender or a change in race. From a fan perspective I have found most of the changes shoddy writing and not worth the bother. Why the change in so many old favorites? It is pandering, shocking changes just for the sake of change? Thor is a title not a name? Guess it's time for Black Panther to become Mexican.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Trigger Stickers?
Censorship???

Over there the defacto option is to ban anyone that goes against the white genocide narrative.
OP I would say the Icon would serve as a lead in for your protection so that only people
like yourself respond ensuring you're not called out and you can all express your deepest hatred in private
without having to face REAL people.

Let me ask you - how exactly did you manage to piece yourself together again after that black Johnny Storm Fiasco??
You must have gone nuclear. I can see it now.

edit on 25-10-2016 by MagicCow because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
a reply to: kruphix

Being anti-Hillary (where you're used to seeing me lately) doesn't make me Conservative.

But you want to conserve Iron Man.

So you are a conservative.

& really, because of this thread, you have become that which you despise. A justice warrior.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I can't wait until Superman is a 64-year-old, transgender, Jewish, paraplegic, bisexual, lactose/gluten-intolerant man and/or woman with Asperger's.

Superdon'tassumemygender™

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: hangedman13
Guess it's time for Black Panther to become Mexican.

Can you imagine the uproar if Black Panther suddenly became a white guy?

Boycotts would ensue.

originally posted by: Hazardous1408
But you want to conserve Iron Man.

So you are a conservative.

Don't be silly. Taking a "conservative" stance on a single matter (or even a few) doesn't just blanket-ly make one "a conservative".

It's broad brush strokes like that which are used to pidgenhole people, and stifle rational discussion.
edit on 10/25/16 by redmage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I don't know if you've been paying attention to Marvel, but this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Thor is now a woman

Wolverine is now a woman

Spiderman is now black

Hulk is now asian

Captain America is still white... but he is now a nazi. Figures.

They have gone completely off the deep end with the PC pandering, changing almost all of their most iconic characters... and it's hurting their sales.

DC leads Marvel for the third month in a row in September

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Konduit

Its FICTION in comic books.

And this thread is manufactured fake outrage.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: neformore

Come on man... you can't be blind to what's going on here.

God forbid they couldn't be more creative and just make new heroes instead of rehashing old ones to pander to the PC crowd.

I'd like to see the fake outrage if they turned Black Widow/Captain Marvel into men or Black Panther/Falcon into Caucasians. Tumblr would literally implode.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Shows how much you know about comics.

Captain Marvel started life in comics as a man

en.wikipedia.org...(Mar-Vell)

Was the female version PC pandering?

Like I said. Fake outrage. There are much more important things in life.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   

a reply to: Krazysh0t

Didn't I just respond to a claim that she's only a mini-series sort of element?

This isn't about Dr. Doom. But now that you mention it, he's a man so they better replace him too.

no, villains may still remain white males.

I've heard that a lot of filmmakers make movies for each other, not for the public. maybe that's what's going on in the comic industry. don't give the people what they want, please the other writers and editors and the artsy crowd.

can we have a discussion on race / gender in the arts without a lot of name-calling?

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: neformore

Its FICTION in comic books.

And this thread is manufactured fake outrage.

Agreed....just fiction in comic books, whether it's pandering to the PC crowd or just exploring new markets..... let the consumers decide. Personally I see another "Ghostbusters 2016" or "Gamergate" situation here myself in the long run.
edit on 25-10-2016 by Falenor because: grammer

edit on 25-10-2016 by Falenor because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Oh no, white genocide! There are virtually no white male heroes in movies either.
Except Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Bruce Banner, Hawkeye, Deadpool, Starkiller, Ant-Man, Spiderman, Doctor Strange, Winter Soldier, Wolverine, Xavier, Gambit, Cyclops, Beast, Nightcrawler, Batman, Superman, and that's just recent. None I tell you!

Even if there were racism involved here (there isn't), my title was less racist than theirs!

You know the bar is set high when...

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: SargonThrall

Hey...it's 2016...seriously...get with the times man....

Iron Man = 15 year old African American Girl
Thor= Just a title...a Woman now holds that title of "Thor", Mjornir just broke through the glass ceiling
Captain American= He was a Nazi all along...dang...should have seen that coming
Bruce Banner= Now Asian Hulk.
Hawkeye = Someone retire this old robin hood Whitey
Deadpool = Oh Thank god Ryan Reynolds finally got this role.... but lets turn him into something called "Pansexual"
Ant Man = Just another white guy with size issues
Winter Soldier = Yep....Just another White dude stuck following his evil masters orders
Wolverine = Now a young girl
Xavier = Alzhehimers senile old man
Gambit = Personification of the "Male Gaze"
Batman = Angry white male with issues
Superman = Cool good white dude in tights...cept he's dead

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 06:30 PM
link   
It amazes me that the criticisms of one woman can launch a movement in which so many embraced under the guise of freedom of expression. Yet these same noble gentlemen don't seem to like that freedom if used in ways they don't approve of.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Folks.... It's a comic book.

And you know what the best thing is about comics. If you don't like it.

Don't buy it.

Don't read it.

If comic sales for a title don't do well. They cancel the book.

So like the Lord Humongous says,

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580

Folks.... It's a comic book.

And you know what the best thing is about comics. If you don't like it.

Don't buy it.

Don't read it.

If comic sales for a title don't do well. They cancel the book.

So like the Lord Humongous says,

BINGO !!! THIS RIGHT HERE ! Let the consumers decide !

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 07:00 AM
link   
a reply to: SargonThrall

I see some of you still couldn't help but try to keep this spun on the race card, which by the way whites are still yet the majority (so there being more characters shouldnt come as a shock, nor be argued as some diabolical racism), while people of color are welcome to get into the arts and create their own characters. Obviously Marvel is hiring. If race is your obsessions here would be the place to go put forth your argument: UC Berkeley SJWS Build Human Wall to BLock White Students from Campus

But this story was really about Iron MAN being replaced by TEENAGE GIRL.

The Big Story was that it being Iron Woman wasn't even good enough, where to that and what we saw unfold in this thread....

Alright, I'm done, feel free to demagogue the thread some more, accuse me of being the one who is triggered merely for bringing it up, etc. Good times.

edit on 28-10-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Translation: "Guys! Seriously stop calling me racist! I'm sexist! GEEZ get it right!"
edit on 28-10-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

You forgot Age'ist. We are talking about teenagers replacing adults.

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I think an important issue has been missed here.

Marvel comics generates $10-12 million dollars in sales per month (and dropping). Marvel Studios generates $300 Million to over $1 Billion per movie.
Captain America IS Chris Evans
Tony Stark IS Robert Downy Jr
Thor IS Chris Hemsworth
Hulk IS Mark Ruffalo

Each of the actors in these franchises is under contract to do a set number of films. Most of those contracts were agreed to and signed early in the game, before anyone realized this would be a multi-billion dollar cash cow for MCU Studios. The studio reportedly is having to pay Downy $200 MILLION for the two-part Infinity Wars Avengers movies. Compare that to his contract for the first 3 Iron man Movies in which he was paid $60.5 Million (allegedly) between the 3.

My point? These characters, as we know them from the comics of our childhoods, won't be possible in future movies without Marvel paying a boatload of cash to the actors who gave them life on the big screen. Marvel is dramatically changing their characters in the comic world now to prepare for MCU's needs in 5-10 years when Downy Jr won't be Iron Man and Chris Evans won't be Captain America. The studio obviously knows that they can't magically sign Johnny Depp, call him Tony Stark and have fans support the new Iron Man. However, they can have a storyline in which Tony Stark has died, a young lady (perhaps War Machine's daughter?) played by Kiersey Clemons discovers Stark's workshop key in her dad's belongings, investigates, and tries on one of the Iron man suits. Voila! a brand new character has just been developed which dosn't insult the audience by trying to "replace" Downey Jr, but also doesn't require a massive production storyline that a truly brand new character would require to flesh out. If the comic line simply threw another wealthy male into the suit, then the cinematic universe would have a much more difficult time swallowing that character as Iron Man than they would have accepting an entirely new take on the Iron Man persona as a whole.

So I don't see this as PC run amok (which is a pet peeve and something I love to rail about normally), I see it as a business decision made by the comic publishing arm of the corporation to throw a forward looking assist to the much more lucrative theatrical arm of the corporation.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join