It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Warning To British Foragers Rewilding Gone Wrong

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Feral pigs are multiplying rapidly in the Forest of Dean. I walk and camp there regularly. I was there yesterday. I can confirm this assessment is accurate.

Warning of wild boar numbers reaching 10,000 without proper controls

www.pig-world.co.uk...

They're eating the sweet chestnuts. If you want to gather sweet chestnuts and the pigs move into your area you'll have to scavenge for what's left over.

This is rewilding gone wrong.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 05:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Kester

can't we just bag one and have a freezer full of pork for the next 6 months or as usual do we have to fill out a billion forms

Probably we can hunt them but it gets messy legally as guns are out unless you have the paperwork but bows are still ok but sticking a big boar with an arrow isn't the easiest thing and you are supposed to make it as clean and painless as possible.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 05:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kester
Feral pigs are multiplying rapidly in the Forest of Dean. I walk and camp there regularly. I was there yesterday. I can confirm this assessment is accurate.

Warning of wild boar numbers reaching 10,000 without proper controls

www.pig-world.co.uk...

They're eating the sweet chestnuts. If you want to gather sweet chestnuts and the pigs move into your area you'll have to scavenge for what's left over.

This is rewilding gone wrong.

Sorry this is re-wilding - grow your own chestnuts if you can compete with the boar.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Sausages made from wild boar meat are deeeeeelicious.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Good to see they haven't been ripping people's arms off though. The last pig thread I read of yours gave my nightmares. Death to the pigs.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 05:38 AM
link   
I have a mate who shoots there fairly regularly, every now and then he bags a boar off the books and in his opinion they are almost out of control, numbers wise.

I guess it says a lot that the only people who notice that there is one boar less in the forest are those tucking into it at dinner time.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Had a similar problem in Florida, the only controls that work are killing them...need to open it for hunting and just tell the anti hunting people to sod off, they will destroy the environment if left unchecked.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 05:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
Had a similar problem in Florida, the only controls that work are killing them...need to open it for hunting and just tell the anti hunting people to sod off, they will destroy the environment if left unchecked.

In the states, no one cared until they started getting into the fields, rooting up garden shrubs and young trees. They can make mess of a yard in a couple of hours. Farmers have resorted to shooting them from helicopters. Over here, it seems to be mixed whether their meat is decent or not. Eventually, it will be recognized that they are a detriment to everything, the environment and humans. Unlike the rabbits in Australia, but like rabbits, their reproduction rates are phenomenal. Lastly, they can be a very dangerous animal.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 06:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

The Forestry Commission have these people to contend with. en-gb.facebook.com... So they can't cull efficiently.

It's unknown how many unofficial hunters there are. Many are killed on the road. Still the numbers increase.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 06:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Forensick

My great grandfather may have planted those chestnuts. At a time when you didn't have to be constantly aware of the possibility of being charged by a pig when simply walking through bracken. That's the biggest change to get used to. It's no problem 99% of the time, they're intelligent and loving animals on the whole. But if you're charged by a pig you need wings to escape it.

It's re-wilding gone wrong because there is far to much domestic pig in the mix, and reproduction rates for wild boar suddenly increased all across Europe after the first 'escapees' here had been monitored and judged to be suitable. Suddenly the situation is out of control for the planners who did this behind our backs, blaming it on escapes and dumped animals.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 06:49 AM
link   
a reply to: SlowNail

Nose flip seen here at 0:17
www.britishwildboar.org.uk...

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Agreed that this is destructive rewilding (releasing any animal to the wold when it has no natural predators will always end in disaster) but I've never found them to be dangerous or a threat unless it's mothers with young or they're startled - still not a nice feeling when one if charging you and wouldn't recommend people encroaching on their territory unless they have eyes and ears fully switched on.

The guy video of the guy walking his dogs upto/past them is a prime example of a clueless idiot - shame the boar tapped the dog instead of him.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Perhaps you could start a local petition regarding a temporary suspension of the Dangerous Wild Animals Act. It worked in Bodmin right?!

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Anyone who hunts something like a feral pig with a firearm needs a slap and a talking to. Get a bow or a cross bow, and do it the right way.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Lots of hungry people in the world. Feed them bacon and ham? They could do a lot worse than bacon and ham in my book.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 09:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Anyone who hunts something like a feral pig with a firearm needs a slap and a talking to. Get a bow or a cross bow, and do it the right way.

That's actually illegal here Brit.
I guess because it's more likely to just cause suffering than outright kill an animal.
Bows take more practice than guns.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

It will be illegal to breathe soon.

And as for practice, yes that is necessary, and no, that is not a good reason not to go out and get the practice. They are also much better hunting weapons, because they make next to no noise at any time, other than the twang of the string and the thunk of the arrow hitting its mark. Unlike guns, they will not scare away every animal in a huge radius around the killzone.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 09:14 AM
link   
look up the videos of wild boars getting blown up by tannerite, looks like a blast, and the also shoot em from helicopters, In texas.. say what you will, but it looks fun and very entertaining. plus. pork is fantastic, the best meat around

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: SprocketUK

It will be illegal to breathe soon.

And as for practice, yes that is necessary, and no, that is not a good reason not to go out and get the practice. They are also much better hunting weapons, because they make next to no noise at any time, other than the twang of the string and the thunk of the arrow hitting its mark. Unlike guns, they will not scare away every animal in a huge radius around the killzone.

No argument from me. It's still illegal though, so your only option is a rifle.

Unless there is a loophole that allows you to spear a boar, but I wouldn't fancy my chances at that.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Oh you village folk pretending to know about the country!!!
Firstly you get some braided cable and make a loopy thing on one end, tie the other end to a tree (you'll know where to put them as the piggy wiggies make regular runs), check on them morning and night and before you can say pigs trotter you'll have one sitting waiting for you. What you do with it then is your problem, though an ice pick comes to mind.
Oh how cruel you might say. If you want to see cruelty follow the lords and ladies on their horsey worsies and watch a fox ripped apart by a pack of blood wild dogs.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join