It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it OK to murder in the name of God?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Remember the commandment "Thalt shall not kill". This overrides anything in the bible IMO, it is the law of god handed down to moses who handed it down to the israelites from mt sinai.

There is no good reason to kill anyone and it is against the commandments to do. It is a sin to kill your fellow man and god will judge thee.

Contrary to right-wing FreeRepublic belief, the God of the Israelites and the God of Islam are the one and the same, the God of Abraham. If you don't believe me look it up for yourself.

Anyone who believes that it is right to kill in gods name doesn't belong in the kingdom of heaven or is worthy to share the house of our lord with his brothers. Once again if you don't believe me wait till your judgement comes and ask our father yourself.

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by soldier_of_the_lord
You will only see that you wish to see Alec...God has good reason for everything....the things you mentioned were perfectly jusitifiable.....think deep and you will come up with atleast ONE answer as to how it can be justified. Also...just because you dont understand something....does that make it wrong?
Please, give me one good reason for God sending 41 bears to maul a group of children for making fun of a prophets bald head. I honestly can't think of one, and if God isnt going to make His intentions clear when commiting seemingly gruesome sadistic acts, what does he expect others who read it to think?

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Alec, i dont recall the scripture you are speakign of but i believe its there...there is always a good reason for Gods action....this one was robably because he wanted to send a strong message to not mock HIS prophets who have come to warn people of an impending catastrophe of some kind.....this to me is perfectly justified. There are many others that you can think of...if you really want to....but considering you couldnt even think of one, it is evident your mind is closed off or you are just tired from an exhausting day.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 04:18 AM
link   
I don't feel you should take the old testament literally, nor should anyone. Let's be honest, a lot of it is a load of crap that should be ignored. The New Testament and our Lord have shown how we should act and we should follow in his example the best we can.

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 05:36 AM
link   
I have to agree with DRFUNK.

THOU SHALT NOT KILL.

It doesn't say "thou shalt not kill unless it's someone of another religion"...

It just says "Thou shalt not kill".

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 06:01 AM
link   
I think it's only okay if you can hear the voices.

On another note, I wonder if there would have even been suicide bombing fanatical Muslims if the Old Testament Israelites had minded their Daddy?

Depending on what the population at the time was, would the deathtoll from following those edicts been less overall than they have been to date by the warring between various religions in that region? (You have to add in the 3000 from 9/11 as well.)

It's just a freaky little thought that crossed my mind, which tends to deal with black and white and total numbers - that's why I went into engineering, by the way.

But no, I don't hear the voices, so I won't be going a killin' today!

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 06:18 AM
link   
i have a tough time with GOD telling someone to murder............my personal thoughts on it are that if someone tells ME that GOD told him/her to murder then i think they're nuts.

i'm not going to murder someone because GOD told someone else to tell me to murder.

if GOD spoke directly to me............then GOD and I would have alot of discussing to do.........because i would feel like i were misinterpreting what his intentions were.

so NO............i wouldn't murder anyone because GOD told me to do it.....because i find it very difficult GOD would want me to murder someone. GOD could kill anyone at any time so why would he need me to intervene.

i didn't say i WOULDN'T kill someone though.........if protecting myself or my family i would use deadly force if necessary. i have a handgun.......i have a permit...........and i shoot on a regular basis............i am VERY VERY good shot............

but that's off topic.................the question was is it ok to murder in the name of GOD..............and i say NO.

but that's my opinion.

angie

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 06:30 AM
link   
i think the christians should look up the 10 commandments again. Its about the only true teaching of your god that you were given, yet no one obeys them. I talked to "your" god and he told me this.I try to live by them and ive been to church once in my life, on a field trip with my school, im not even christian and i couldnt care less about religious differences some people have.

Everybody knows it in their hearts, this is where you should look if you want to find god, not some book. Not saying there is no god in the bible, its in everything, but most of it is some written mouth to mouth stories to keep the kiddies entertained (scared and nice), but mostly a tool to control the cattle.

Interestingly, someone mentiones the Aztecs. Their civilization was based on fear, with few of the shamans manipulationg the people, and the shamans became greedy and evil becouse of their actions. So the cult of the dead was the name of the game and head were rolling. Considering what happened to them, i wouldnt want our civilization to go the samem way.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Now soldier, you say that those verses I mentioned did not refer to rape and I disagree. Typically though, I get that response on many bible verses. The, "hurry up and think of some way to circumvent the nonsense spewing from the pages of this book" response.

For instance, there are new testament bible verses forbidding women to speak in chuch. How many born again women speak in church? You are sinning according to the bible. Women preachers??? Of course they are allowed in the bible, but only allowed to address women and children. Speaking in tongues is reserved for men as well. Born agains just explain these little instructions away. I love it. You know, it is sinful to grow facial hair according to Paul? Isn't it funny how all those christian movies show Jesus with a long beard. Women, God forbids you to cut your hair too. You better listen.

Tell me, how is it that you can believe so much into a book, that you have to disregard and ignore so much information that is contained?

Murder is not differenciated from killing in the ten commandments by the way. Though Shall Not Kill. Well, except if we feel like it....then we ignore the commandments and look to contradicting examples. Wonderful.

[edit on 1/25/2005 by Seapeople]

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by USER
I have to agree with DRFUNK.

THOU SHALT NOT KILL.

It doesn't say "thou shalt not kill unless it's someone of another religion"...

It just says "Thou shalt not kill".

Sorry, but that's not what it says. You can thank good ol' King James for that mistranslation.

Thou shalt not murder. < ==== In this particular instance, semantics result in a heapin' helpin' of difference.

And for the sake of logic, let's see how this could play out. Murder being the taking of another human's life based solely on anger, passion, without true cause. Where as - if God told you to - it aint murder...it's a killin'.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seapeople

For instance, there are new testament bible verses forbidding women to speak in chuch. How many born again women speak in church? You are sinning according to the bible.

This is the type of mistake that people who don't know what they're talking about, but truly are impassioned to attack it, commit. The Pauline principles whether followed or not - have nothing to do with what a "sin" is. If a woman stands up and preaches, she is not sinning...she's just not following Paul's preferences. By the way, there were women already preaching during Paul's time. By the way, the very first evangelist of the gospel was a woman who had been married five times, and was shacked up with the sixth guy.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I disagree, there is no seperation of murder and killing used in regards to anything except battle.

If you are not in an actual battle for "the lord", then their is no distinction between murder and killing.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Wouldn't followers of Christ more naturally hone in on Christ's messages and ideas in the Bible than the history given of events that preceded Christ?

What made Christ's messages so revolutionary was the idea of loving our enemies. Its easy to love your friends and family right? Evangelists might argue that his death was more important, but surely there is more to be learned and a lifetime of very personal growth outlined by this very lesson: love your enemies. When people attacked and crucified Christ, he did not respond with hatred or violence: he died for their sins.

That said, isn't killing in the name of God an antichristian act? An act made by those would find it easier to claim to know God's will as violent than to listen to the truth of its peaceful whispers.

Killing in the name of God is disgusting, and if God is truly violent enough to send some of us to hell, I personally can't imagine anyone He would be more furious with.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 06:46 AM
link   

I disagree, there is no seperation of murder and killing used in regards to anything except battle.

If you are not in an actual battle for "the lord", then their is no distinction between murder and killing.

Seapeople...we're saying the same thing. (Just in case that was aimed at me.)

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 06:52 AM
link   
It's wrong to kill or mock anyone !
It's wrong to kill or do ANY harm to anyone, not in the name of God, not in the name of devil, not in the name of anyone. However, some people are born too ignorant and I doubt they would learn if they lived 1000 lives.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 06:52 AM
link   
These are the words of the bibles. It is your opinion, whether it is right or wrong to follow them. If you disagree, then you are making a judgement, based not on the words in the bible but rather personal opinion. That judgement by the way is forbidden in Revelation.

I do know what I am talking about? It is apparent that many people are not able to distinguish between what is written and what they feel it means.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by MiTo
It's wrong to kill or mock anyone !
It's wrong to kill or do ANY harm to anyone, not in the name of God, not in the name of devil, not in the name of anyone. However, some people are born too ignorant and I doubt they would learn if they lived 1000 lives.

So when a man is trying to kill your child, and you kill him in your defenseless childs behalf. That is wrong? You are the ignorant. You are the one who won't learn if you lived 1000 times.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 07:08 AM
link   

It is apparent that many people are not able to distinguish between what is written and what they feel it means.

Anyone who thinks they have some sort of objective sense, or TRUE MEANING, of this incredibly complex text we call the Bible (or Bibles, if you like) is living in candyland. Regardless of your religious beliefs, you could agree that the bible contains words: language. Read Saussure, Barthes, and Derrida if you'd like to be brought up to date on what philosophers think about language, but after 100 years of professional research and debate, the general concensus today is that NO OBJECTIVE MEANING EXISTS. There is only individual meaning, interpretation, "how we feel about the text."

So, we're all left to discuss the differences in what we feel the Bible means, right?

The only way anyone could access directly "what is written" is by quoting the verses.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Is it OK to murder in the name of God?

Taking another life for whatever reason is wrong.
Religion can be used to justify anything.
The arrogance of human beings to think that they have the blessing of their creator to take another life is pure evil.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I absolutely agree. The only way to rationalize the bible to make sense is by personal interpretation. That is commendable that you say that.

However, it is christians and non christians both who are always quick to defend themselves using bible verses. An athiest can show a contradiction, a christian can make up an excuse as to why it is not. It is all personal...and most christians do not realize that. Take pentecostals for instance.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join