It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

The Nihilism of The Walking Dead

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dan00
a reply to: SaturnFX

looking forward to your innate desire to burn books thread.

Ahhh God that's funny, dude. I've grown used to your posts since I first logged in back in 2010 and this one doesn't disappoint.

-takes a bow.

ok, then rather looking forward to you telling what entertainment you deem worthy and which you find problematic. also wondering what my cat thinks.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

Entertainment isn't just happy rainbows and fly fishing for everyone. some people find the more disturbing concepts of mankinds brutality to be equally as entertaining to consider.

Yer kinda getting to the bottom of it all on your own.

But I'll be bawck.

Who knew this thread would be so much fun? I dunno.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Okay,

I'm going to try to take this step-by-step, sorta, and share what I know that way. I'd really not like to have to get all "linky", and I'd like to try and keep it simple. Let's try and agree on a couple of things first.

• We are especially designed to ingest and process stories. The brain works in such a way that, when we are engaged with a story, we follow a protagonist through the narrative making comparisons between ourselves and the protag, being critical of their decisions and comparing them to our own.

• The brain doesn't know the difference between what's real and what's not when it comes to how it propagates physiological responses throughout the body when we are engaged with stories and parsing decisions. Our brains think it's real and our brains and our bodies respond by secreting the same stuff.

• Processing decisions involves a bunch of serotonin and dopamine

Can you all accept that? Or do I need to get all "linky".

Let me know.

edit on 25-10-2016 by Dan00 because: ???

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Dan00

Your first point is debatable. Myself I agree. From others that I've seen, they do not compare or contrast. They accept and sometimes even go the extra length to change their views to suit.

Point 2; given that your are interested and vested in the story, the rest would apply.

For the sake of argument, I'll accept.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 01:24 AM
link   
People used to pack out the Colosseum to watch others be eaten by wild animals or fight another person to the death. Violence is nothing new and I assume it will be a part of human civilization for a long time after me.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 03:23 AM
link   

This is lovely.

You all have no idea why this show is bad for you.

After savoring that for awhile, I'll likely return to respond to SaturnFX, who seems to think that I'm not "knowledgeable" enough to tell you why.

That's so special: You don't have to be "knowledgeable" about the stupid show to know why it is bad for you.

I'll say it again: That show, is bad for you, it's always been bad for you, and the OP and I seem to have been pretty quick at figuring that out.

You all likely don't know what's good for you either.

Well you're right ! People (teenager) think they get 'though' if they watch gore and blood on TV while in fact you just get conditioned into a mind state that accepts immoral behaviour.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 05:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Astrocyte
When the brain-mind interfaces with such horrors, "callouses" can form around the mind. Indeed, if you were not devastated by the gratuitous brutality of yesterdays Walking Dead premiere, you are not in touch with normal human emotions.

Yep, just like all those ambulance workers and surgeons.

Those evil bastards.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Caught up with this last night.

What a roller coaster, hardly a moment to catch ones breath.

It was great acting all round, very realistic and you could feel the pain and hopelessness of the entire situation. The gore, well, it's the walking dead so you would expect it.

The producers certainly aren't afraid to kill off big characters and long may it continue.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: buckwhizzle
Spoiler Warning!

I stopped watching around the end of season 4.It was with the episode called "The Grove".This is the cliff notes version.Carol and tyrese stopped by this farmhouse with the two sisters.Well, the older one snapped and killed the younger one.So Carol took her out to the field and told the sister too look at the Daffodils.And the girl was crying because she knew what she had done was wrong.Carol killed her.I couldn't handle that much darkness and I stopped watching.

Meh, that episode tapped into some seriously pragmatic logic. If you are in a life or death situation, you cannot afford to risk everyone's life to "rehabilitate" someone who may well be unredeemable. It was important to recognize the dichotomy at play there... when the group was at the prison, they could have (and likely would have) locked the killing sister up in a cell while trying to cure her mental issues. But in a scenario where only two adults are in a much more "free" location, albeit a much more paradise-like one with quiet, abundant food, and comfortable living space, they lacked the resources needed to be safe without removing the proven untrustworthy sister from posing a danger to all.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

I totally agree with your post. I am an 80's child and watched some graphic movies, so movie gore is comical to me.
I am not desensitized to gore, I will not watch videos of real life atrocities because it makes me sick to my soul but TV violence is just that, it's not real and I can remove myself from that.
I am loving the Evil Dead series and they use gallons of blood in every episode and have some horrifically graphic scenes but it's funny as hell to me & it was the same with the TWD premiere. It wasn't funny but I know it's not real, so the gore had no effect.

I do get emotionally invested in the characters and was upset by the whole episode but it was exactly what was required.
We are used to characters dying and like real life, sometimes dying pointlessly.
But the deconstruction of our hero (Rick) and the group was required because they were nearly invincible by this point in their story.

Rick has been on the cusp of being a villain and was being driven by hate, it was the whole point of why Negan had to break him because of the way Rick looked at him, it was seething hate in his eyes.

This is the deconstruction of the hero and it was executed to perfection.
The scene with Carl was gut wrenchingly emotional, more so than the deaths of Abraham and Glenn imo and if Andrew Lincoln doesn't win an Emmy for that performance, I will be lost for words.

Best episode of television in a long time.

Although this episode of Ash Vs Evil Dead was the funniest in a long time as well.

WARNING VERY GRAPHIC & NUDITY.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: mclarenmp4

That clip was horribly funny!

To the rest of your post; Breaking Rick was Neegans (an the narrations) goal. It sets the stage. Methinks it's going to be a long tough road but worth the watch.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Watching that episode I felt like shouting like Maximus Decimus Meridus after the battle fought in the Colosseum.' Are you not entertained?.

American society has finally become Rome.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Walking Fred is worse.

The Roman games provided catharsis.

Not providing catharsis, in other words, removing any element or agent of catharsis from any given narrative is a literary technique.

With Walking Fred, lot's of energy is built up, like at the Games, but there is no cathartic release. Ever. Cathartic release in Walking Fred = Releasing one of your infected loved ones in to the afterlife. At best.

edit on 26-10-2016 by Dan00 because:

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 06:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Dan00

That would be true if I could identify with the characters and thus confront myself with their decisions. Which is precisely my point - I can't. They feel like retarded versions of themselves. Which is why the whole fuzz is completely unbelievable and this alienation I find myself with is systemic with regards to equally shallow shows.

The Wire, True Detective or Fargo. There's lots of stuff I can relate to, but Walking Dead? I dunno, some people seem be really into this but I'm having a hard time to imagine they feel more than the adrenalin.

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: PublicOpinion

It's got nothing to do with adrenaline, it's to do with how you would react in a world as dark as the walking dead universe.
The zombies are an afterthought, the show is about the savagery of human nature, when we go back to our basic instincts to survive.
Each character's journey is what makes this show the best show on TV.
Take Carol for example, the 1st 2 seasons she annoyed me because she was a victim and couldn't stand up for herself, then you had Sophia dying which took her further down the self pity victim mentality.
Then she broke and the fierce side of her character started to dominate and she did some wicked things but it was always for what she thought, was for the good of the group.
Then that side of her character broke last season & I hope like Rick, she is now on the path to redemption.
It's a show about the effects of PTSD on the psyche, some go down the dark path while others try to stay in the light.
The world they are in make it very difficult to stay on the light path, so it's a struggle for the heroes in this world.
That's what's so engaging.
People who are horrified by this are repressing that side of their psyche.
They don't want to admit to the "shadow" side of their psyche.

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   

a reply to: neo96

Walking Fred is worse.

The Roman games provided catharsis.

Not providing catharsis, in other words, removing any element or agent of catharsis from any given narrative is a literary technique.

With Walking Fred, lot's of energy is built up, like at the Games, but there is no cathartic release. Ever. Cathartic release in Walking Fred = Releasing one of your infected loved ones in to the afterlife. At best.

I think programming like The Apprentice and Mob Wives effects on the mind are far worse than what you appear to be driving at here with this.

Maybe I am not understanding you correctly. Could you try just saying what you're trying to say without the cryptic hyperbole?

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I find this entire thread amusing. We're talking about a television show based off of a comic book. That's it. The subtext is subjective and will differ from viewer to viewer. It's a television show folks, let's have a little perspective. I don't recall this much outrage when Walter White dissolved people in acid or intentionally ran over 2 thugs in his Aztek.

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: TheDarkHorse

And yet breaking bad is widely considered one of the greatest television shows ever!

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I think that, perhaps, the biggest issue is individuals not being able to discern between fantasy and reality. I would contend that stories that are known to not be "real" are parsed through slightly different pathways than stories that are known to be "real." Whether or not the events actually occurred as portrayed is irrelevant to this point, as someone can process through the "not real" set regardless of veracity. This behavior can be seen not only in this context, but even in something like a UFO video.

Not being able to perceive in either capacity can be as problematic as solely running stimuli through "real" or "not real" pathways on any given topic. There is an observable difference between them all in any given subject. Some processing centers will overlap, but factors like previous bias will precipitate different activity.

In this case, I also feel its good to note we are talking about a show based on comic books. Having read them, this series of events with Negan is absolutely critical in the massive change of pace in the story, both for individuals like Maggie as well as a total shift in how everyone approaches the apocalypse.

I feel the comics were significantly better paced in this regard, but that is neither here nor there.

Response to such stimuli is not monolithic either. If someone is not massively impacted, it could mean a disconnect from normal human emotions, but that isn't a safe assumption across the board. Neither is it accurate to assume that if someone is heavily traumatized that they are emotionally and mentally healthy.

I think one factor that makes people uncomfortable is being exposed to the presence of a dark side in humanity. Many tend to avoid that at all costs, including in themselves, so it can definitely lead to a visceral response in many.

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
American society has finally become Rome.

...except for the fact that the actors who portrayed Glen and Abraham quickly stood up when the cameras were turned off and cheerfully went home to their families, unharmed from the show in any way. Rome didn't use stunt men or actors and those who died to shock the audience stayed dead even when everyone left the Collosseum.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join