It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

The Nihilism of The Walking Dead

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Astrocyte

It's not real. Horror fans enjoy things like that not because it depicts gore, but fake gore and special effects. Acting is not real human emotions. If you were devistated, it's because you had become emotionally invested in fakery and scene design, not normal human emotions.
edit on 25-10-2016 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   

It went downhill from the second episode with all that artificial drama. Plus the dumbass character decisions, nothing I could identify with. Also, watching good people become sociopaths is a tad too tedious for my taste.

Try Black Mirror and Westworld, that's some really good entertainment. Heck... even Z-Nation has more to offer by now than Walking Dead, which is kinda funny on it's own.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

originally posted by: reldra
Just like poetry, art, dance, music. Sometimes it's dark. But they hit the mark.

Roses are red
and the ground got red too
glen was a twitcher
and his head is now goo

....too soon?

A lil bit, but I am getting better.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: PublicOpinion

It went downhill from the second episode with all that artificial drama. Plus the dumbass character decisions, nothing I could identify with. Also, watching good people become sociopaths is a tad too tedious for my taste.

Try Black Mirror and Westworld, that's some really good entertainment. Heck... even Z-Nation has more to offer by now than Walking Dead, which is kinda funny on it's own.

I like Westworld, It is promising. I liked s1 of Z Nation, but then it got too silly.

None of these can hold a candle to The Walking Dead.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: frenchfries

beh... Walking Dead is utter Crap

What the hell is wrong with society that this sort of brutality can be put on TV and tolerated by its audiences? What is the point or the purpose? To shock? What if you shock, and, also annoy? Even more to the point, were advantaged - we are safe from such horrors, whereas people in other countries really are subject to witnessing the horror and trauma of a human skull - the storehouse of consciousness - mutilated.

Well there is absolutely nothing wrong with society. It's just being manipulated at a very sophisticated level...

To understand I would advise you to watch this vid...

ps this man is just a kind of whistleblower. In my opinion the Elite is doing this. The same people that propagate ms Hillary.

lol
Videos are brainwashing society...watch this video as it explains how.

sort of a "gotcha" there.
Entertainment is not brainwashing society, it is just entertainment. been going on since storytellers in caves and will continue on so long as we have creative interest.
amish folks are oddballs.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

I liked s1 of Z Nation, but then it got too silly.

That's precisely how I feel about Walking Dead, which is kinda funny. "Hey Dumbass in the tank" - my favorit part. The first episode was really mindblowing.

Try Black Mirror, you may like it.

edit on 25-10-2016 by PublicOpinion because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

originally posted by: reldra
Just like poetry, art, dance, music. Sometimes it's dark. But they hit the mark.

Roses are red
and the ground got red too
glen was a twitcher
and his head is now goo

....too soon?

Whats Glenns favorite restaurant?

POPEYES!

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

Entertainment is not brainwashing society, it is just entertainment...

Sorry but that's a very simple worldview.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: frenchfries

Entertainment is not brainwashing society, it is just entertainment...

Sorry but that's a very simple worldview.

or, you are overcomplicating a simple thing

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 07:32 PM
link   
This is lovely.

You all have no idea why this show is bad for you.

After savoring that for awhile, I'll likely return to respond to SaturnFX, who seems to think that I'm not "knowledgeable" enough to tell you why.

That's so special: You don't have to be "knowledgeable" about the stupid show to know why it is bad for you.

I'll say it again: That show, is bad for you, it's always been bad for you, and the OP and I seem to have been pretty quick at figuring that out.

You all likely don't know what's good for you either.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Totally agree.

The premiere utterly encapsulates what's broken about the West or, at least, captures it's nihilism. We're on our knees and, apparently, there is no offense or degradation we won't endure.

It pissed me off. Maybe becasue it's too true.
edit on 10/25/2016 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Entertainment is not brainwashing society, it is just entertainment.

Been going on since storytellers in caves and will continue on so long as we have creative interest.

Stories have created the world's great religions.

You can call it whatever you want, but that's the way of it.

I just read that post of yours, and I am greatly discouraged.

It's you, who are in fact not "knowledgeable" enough to be discussing this.

You don't understand the power of stories and how the brain interacts with them.

I'm pretty sure that I'm done here. Maybe I'll write up a thread and you can read about it later.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

Or maybe it's because you were seeking entertainment and got a face-full of scenarios that made you question stuff that has nothing to do with entertainment?

Ah. Stories. Right?

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Dan00

Exactly.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Wow, you kinda ran with that, but yeah.

Neat article. Thanks.

Anyhow. That's at least three of us.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Dan00

You seem to have some extra knowledge on the topic. Could you expand upon that? I would be curious to what mental implications your implying.

Some people were very seriously bothered by this. Myself not so much, so if there's some type of disconnect, it sure would be good discussion!

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Okay, yeah. You're going to have to give me a sec though. I want to make sure it's clear and I just got in a while ago and logged in before I did chore-stuff. So I have to do that first. Just so the cats don't eat me.

edit on 25-10-2016 by Dan00 because:

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dan00
Stories have created the world's great religions.

And has also simply put people to sleep at night

You don't understand the power of stories and how the brain interacts with them.

Oh? lemme take a crack at it then.
The zombie apocalypse is an allegory towards mankinds capitalistic herding masses that are destroying the fabric of society with its neverending hunger for more. As people follow the masses into endless cycles of waste and destruction, hope for a future becomes less and less likely. We all eventually join the zombies.
The survivors
These represent those few who are able to resist the daily innundation of television, latte's, petrol wars, greed and selfisheness, but even within these areas, the corruption will spread. Those going all natural will fuel the new vegan fads, the expensive bottled waters, the gluten free soy products costing far more than a standard product, which of course will require greater work and ruthlessness.
Its in us all, we are all the zombies, we wander from product to product, consume without need or reason, spread our infection to others, then we die.
That is what the origins of the zombie apoc story was.

But to me..its not that deep. its about good characters surviving a nightmare. loss of humanity in some, and why one would continue to hold onto humanity.
Why did Glen and Abraham's death cause such a reaction to the people..because it is a viseral reaction against the inhumane.

Here is a idea though, perhaps since you cant get past it being "icky" or whatever your big problem is, then dont watch it. turn the tv off.

I'm pretty sure that I'm done here. Maybe I'll write up a thread and you can read about it later.

looking forward to your innate desire to burn books thread.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 08:22 PM
link   

looking forward to your innate desire to burn books thread.

Ahhh God that's funny, dude. I've grown used to your posts since I first logged in back in 2010 and this one doesn't disappoint.

So, before I start (and it could be awhile because JinMe knows not what S/He asks. Thanks, JinMe!!!) I'll just let you know that all that stuff you just typed is a total airball, "Whiff!", three feet away from the basket.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dan00

Or maybe it's because you were seeking entertainment and got a face-full of scenarios that made you question stuff that has nothing to do with entertainment?

So far:
the wifes infidelity
abortion discussions
Child zombification after long hope of finding her
child murdering
child execution
cannibalism
tons of torture
rape
racism
and a mountain of gore in every single episode.

deaths:
neck bitten off
mother entirely eaten by a zombie (after her son shot her in the head)
decapitation in front of daughters

I could go on

Anyone who got shocked of that episode either hasn't been watching from the beginning, or...actually thats all I got. it was sad to see Glen go. he was team alpha, but what a memorable way to go.

Entertainment isn't just happy rainbows and fly fishing for everyone. some people find the more disturbing concepts of mankinds brutality to be equally as entertaining to consider.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join