It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Workers will simply try to survive as tech takes over

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Looks like we are on our way to a very uncertain future. There has been very little in the way of fairly distributing the gains in productivity since the mid 1970's.

U.S. median earnings have not increased since 1975 in real terms

I imagine we will hear the "buggy whip makers will build cars now", but that isn't turning out.

A common assumption was that new jobs in new industries would take up displaced workers. Unfortunately, the reality has been different.

Hope everyone is OK with renting (for life) and also maybe taking up the opportunity to share your home with another family of two. Oh and get a bus pass.

In the brave new world, a small elite, say, 5%, enjoy the significant wealth and control of much of its resources. They employ another stratum of people, say, 20%, to administer their affairs as well as control the precariat (condition of existence without predictability or security), 75% of the population.
While there are well-paid jobs for a small portion of the workforce with the required skills, the vast majority of new employment is in the low-paid service sector, such as retail, security and health care

College may or is a shackle instead of a blessing. Of course some will say the govt. loans are the problems, but look at how the administration personnel has blossomed in the last 15 years not only at colleges but at your local high schools.

Education is not a guarantee of employment. The cost of training has risen sharply, leaving many individuals with substantial student debt. Many new graduates are unable to obtain work in their selected areas, and starting incomes are around 10% to 12% lower than they were five years ago, compounding the problem of higher and increasing student debt.

Looks bad, I have a bad feeling about the big corp's eye balling the huge quarterly profits they will earn firing a large percentage of obsolete "resources" (people). CEO's with the fore thought of a 2 year old, won't even care if their isn't anyone to buy the products that the robots make because the CEO will get the million(s) dollar golden parachute when they get fired as stipulated in their contract.

marketwatch.com
edit on Tue Oct 25 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: attempt to fix link

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 10:24 PM
link   
The good news is that we've got a change coming.

Income stalled out for the poor when we came off the gold standard- but there's no fixing it now. Debt based currency is unsustainable in reality. It requires massive market growth year over year, which in turn requires massive population grown year over year. This model stopped working when we reached equilibrium with our environment, the earth- I'd say around 1945 or so. Maybe just before that war.

Now our population grows but our environment dwindles. Our currency is literally inflating faster than we could print it.

There are two big things looking over us- a sharp decline in planetary population, and a monetary reset.
People are so dependent on currency these days, either one would inevitably trigger the other.

Feeling better about losing your job to a machine yet?
I'm not sure when, but I learned early in life that people would be replaced by machines. I had access to early computers at a young age and before I was fifteen I was more proficient at most desk jobs than your average desk jockey- because I could leverage the technology they were all being introduced to.
I didn't go that way, though- I could see where things were going. One guy who enjoys being good with spreadsheets could out perform ten who were good at the old fashioned way. One DBO and one of those guys could out perform a hundred. That leaves 98 displaced well paying desk jobs.

You want work, get good at fixing the machines that take the jobs. That'll do you well until either of the two scenarios up top play out.

If you want to live, though, think outside this box.

Money is Function of a job, a job has become the function of money. One serves the other, but the other serves the one. Both are going away. Make your play- good luck.

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

I see very little in a way around mass unemployment. Even if your employed fixing the machines that make the products, good luck getting to work and back home again. And when you get home is it going to be there?

If what this article suggests comes true, and I hope it isn't, it is going to get bad and no one will be immune from the revolution.

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 10:50 PM
link   
One thing that surprisingly few do, is to take an in-depth analysis of your job/profession and see where it is phasing out of older methods and technologies and adopting/ throwing research dollars into the new. It is not hard to do, and when you get a grasp of what that job/profession is most likely going to look like down the road, you keep yourself educated in that evolution. It really sounds simple, yet so many get "surprised" when it just starts to happen. Life, especially now, is a moving target, and you should never stop learning.

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

If you want to know the only real solution to this problem the way I see it??? Start over with a whole new way of life. A new way of existence. The mass production world view where your life is being defined for you by the products you buy is over. It's not sustainable, it replaces true fulfillment in one's life with simply filling that void with more stuff purchased at discount prices. It leaves us all empty and wanting in the end anyway and wishing we had taken better advantage of that time. So forget that way of life. It's not working anymore, if it ever really did.

But you can't just quit the old without having something new and better to replace it. So figure out what that is and make it happen. Because if you don't and nobody else does either all you're going to have is this f*cked up future that's being very accurately predicted by those who know what's happening.

Those are your choices. Live out the last of a dead idea thought up by someone else or create your own idea that's fresh and new and ready for future. It's your choice which one you'll have to experience. IMO you're better off at trying for a better future and failing than simply living out the one you already know is dying. If you're lucky, you might actually make something happen though where "living" instead of "dying" becomes the new norm.

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 11:04 PM
link   

All it takes is a few inteligent organised people, first you plant, organise a machine shop and grow what you require. The main problem will be laws that stop you gaining this foothold. If you appear to be getting on well, like growing tobacco, pot, vegis, and brewing. Then just building shelters, of what ever design suits you.Your main problem is and always wil be coming to terms with those that want you kept in an economic loop so you can be milked.

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 11:29 PM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

One thing that surprisingly few do, is to take an in-depth analysis of your job/profession

Funny I worked with a guy that built Jukeboxes until the company was bought out by a "investment" company. The investment co. crashed the jukebox co and "stole" the pension. He then retrained and went to a refrigerator plant and worked there til the company headed to sunny Mexico with the stamp of approval from our govt with NAFA. (He told me Debi Stabenow (state senator) gave a speech at the closing plant and told the laid off workers to apply for govt. money to retrain, but then said all the $ was gone because of the amount of companies leaving the US) He then and now has a job working for a manufacturing co.

Your right the world has and is changing, you will have to retain 3,4,5 or more jobs. Corps have no reason to stay here, and a lot of them won't. I'm a Gen-Xer but the millennials have it worse. Good luck getting a job that requires experience when it is an entry level job. Baby boomers lived at peak civilization.
edit on 24-10-2016 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Consumerism is not a sustainable way to live. Jobs get out dated, it is part of the evolution of our society/civilization.

Jobs get lost due to technology. Suck it up.
edit on 25-10-2016 by jrod because: F autocorrect

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

It leaves us all empty and wanting in the end anyway and wishing we had taken better advantage of that time.

True, why work at a job you hate to buy sh&t you don't need.

The old 1200 square foot house was fine when I grew up, and it can still serve as an excellent home today. One late model used car is OK, and no payment. Go to a one of the super cheap cell plans, drop cable. You are right, now convince America.

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 11:45 PM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

Your main problem is and always will be coming to terms with those that want you kept in an economic loop so you can be milked.

You are right. Our society is set up to allow money to flow up. Look at fraction reserve lending, and central banks. What a deal, create $ out of thin air and lend it, get the principal + interest (but don't create the $ to pay the interest) back. And when you screw the pooch and do a 2008 crapfest mortgage bundle scheme the ignorant tax payer gives you $ and no one goes to prison.
If you break off from the prescribed path and do start that life you describe, be aware you will be called a nonconformist at best and a cult (with all the fun that comes with that) at worst.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 12:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

True, why work at a job you hate to buy sh&t you don't need.

That's exactly right. It goes much deeper than that too. It's not simply the result of people just living their lives either. It was planned for and carefully thought about and implemented by the best minds at the time.

Consumerism creates a very similar effect in people that living truly meaningful lives creates. The problem is that it quickly fades away because it lacks any true meaning. However, the process itself, while only being an illusion of the real thing does result in similar effects. You just need to keep the illusion going and the temporary rewards coming or it breaks down. That's why advertising is so important. You must be made to want and need things that you really don't need and probably don't want either.

But if you convince yourself you do, then dedicate some part of your life to obtaining it you get same psychological reward as actually accomplishing something important to you. It's all built upon a false idea packaged and sold to you which is why it's so temporary and you're off to the next purchase, but for a time your life has meaning and purpose. It may not be a purpose of your own true desire but for a while it does make a suitable substitute. There are other issues which become quite obvious too as you start realizing what has been sold to you as "living" that require occasional adjustments but for quite a while now this false idea of life being nothing more than consumerism in action has worked quite well actually without anyone taking much notice.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 03:30 AM
link   

workers cannot compete with automated technology. By now that must agreed by all bar those who have intention of being convinced.

this means that despite it being an anathema to those who believe in the dog eat dog every man for themselves, winner take all value, we have to revisit the 'getting paid not to work' idea of the 1970s.

before you jump up and down and scream that we cannot afford this, the facts are:

money is created out of thin air.

govts gave the banks the exclusive right to create money out of thin air.

govts did not reserve the right for itself (Us, we the people) to create money for its own needs and to provide all the goods and services that govts need to provide. This why we now pay tax

Tax is a fancy word for interest which the govts pay on money borrowed from the banks. They use this word so the penny wont drop with you about whats going on.

all that hated, hated, hated welfare, dare I even use the word, is a fortnightly or monthly (whenever its paid) economic stimulus package which the goivt spends into the economy by bouncing it through the bank accounts of the old, the sick, the unemployed etc etc, etc

Imagine this.... govts creating all money they need each year by creating it out of thin air using the exact same method the banks use and then use it to constantly stimulate the economy in forthihgtly or monthly injections into the economy.

This would mean that you and I would only have to pay small weekly charge for the administration of the system.
imagine that a?

Well, if enough people choose to learn about how money is created, it could into effect within just a few years.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

Well said, I think we won't have a choice but to agree with you.
Along with the right to coin and print money I would like to see a fractional silver backed coin and dollar return to our govt. But I don't know the complete ramifications with the petrol dollar and it's use around the world.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Funny I worked with a guy that built Jukeboxes until the company was bought out by a "investment" company. The investment co. crashed the jukebox co and "stole" the pension.

I can sympathize with that, the best plans can be shattered by shady and dishonest business practices.
This is also why I say to take an in-depth look. If your company is being purchased by an investment firm, with no vested interest or knowledge of the core business, that is the reddest of flags. It takes guts to jump a ship like that, but it has to be done. You try and preserve your experience by joining a competitor, if you can, or privatize a maintenance service yourself for the remaining product line.
edit on 25-10-2016 by charlyv because: content

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Duplicate post removed.

edit on 25-10-2016 by charlyv because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

Governments already can and do create money,. The fact that they do it through the mechanism of a central bank is a purely operational mechanism, it is still government that creates money.

This however doesn't remove the need to tax in any way. Taxation is required for two essential reasons (plus a couple of discretionary ones). To create a demand for the currency and to create space in the economy for government spending.

It is sadly just fanciful thinking to believe that because governments create money there is no need for taxation.

While private banks do create money in a broad sense in that they create debt/credit that we use every day as money, this is fundamentaly different from the base money that governments create.
edit on 25-10-2016 by ScepticScot because: Typo

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

It's still a problem however because when the Government "Creates Money" it also is "Creating Debt". It doesn't have to be this way either. The Government could simply Create Money on demand without also Creating Interest Debt on that money. But they don't. They Create Money by Borrowing that Money from the Federal Reserve which includes Interest that must also be paid. However, that only puts the entire nation into debt with a independent entity from which it has borrowed the money.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Agreed, it's unsustainable at this point. It can't go on the way it is. It reminds me of that movie, whose name escapes me, where the two guys are having dinner and the one is telling the other about how the world is going to be different, with pockets of sanity amid the chaos and despair. Can't remember the name, sorry. I think it's already happening, people are splintering off.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I think and have thought for a long time now that the way we handle money is flawed.

I have always thought that it was strange that you need teachers to teach your kids at school, yet a teacher's salary wasn't enough to provide for them to have kids of their own. They work a job that is needed and without we'd not go far, yet they get paid less than managers at fast food places.

This is the issue around the board for jobs that NEED to be done or else we don't function very well as a society, yet these jobs pay like teaching does.

If ever those dystopian futures where corporations take over and employ all, now would be that time we'd see it.

Welcome to Costco, I love you.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

Was it "My Dinner with Andre".

Two guys having dinner and just talking about stuff. It has the guy from Princess Bride in it. The "Inconceivable" guy.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join