It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Is Trump Discouraging His Own Supporters?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   
As everyone knows, Trump is spending most of his time crying about the election being rigged against him, the polls being rigged against him, and the media being rigged against him.

The problem with all this whining is that it seems to be having the opposite reaction than what Trump is hoping for. Instead of energizing his base, it seems like he is actually discouraging them.

And I see why, if the candidate you are supporting continually tells you that the election is rigged against them, you are basically telling your supporters that their votes don't really count, that even if he has more support, the election will be stolen from him. All this does is discourage voters from even wanting to participate in the "corrupt/rigged" system.

We can see the effects of this from some current polling. Trump's supporters are a lot less enthusiastic than they have been in the past.

Trump May Depress Republican Turnout, Spelling Disaster For The GOP

The previous ABC/Post poll found a sharp 12-point decline in enthusiasm for Trump among his supporters, almost exclusively among those who’d preferred a different GOP nominee. Intended participation now has followed: The share of registered Republicans who are likely to vote is down 7 points since mid-October.

And this is backed up by multiple studies done on the subject.

Trump might be discouraging his own supporters

Several recent social science studies find that belief in government corruption seems to discourage voting. An Innovations for Poverty Action field experiment in Mexico found that telling residents about the incumbent party's record of corruption depressed their turnout rates.

"They stayed home because they were fed up with the system," said Alberto Chong, a Georgia State University professor who co-wrote the paper.

A second study, from scholars at Sweden's University of Gothenburg, used a multiple-country analysis to show that perceptions of government malfeasance negatively affect turnout. This is true, however, only in countries with low to medium levels of corruption (like, say, the United States).

In another experiment, this time in the U.S., researchers tested different messages shown to people Googling information about voter registration. Language saying "the system is rigged" was less effective at getting clicks than "registering is quick, easy, and free."

I don't know if Trump knows about these studies, I'm assuming probably not. Or maybe he does, and thinks they aren't correct. But there is just so much evidence out there that states that what Trump is trying to do is going to backfire.

Trump May Depress Republican Turnout, Spelling Disaster For The GOP

Evidence shows that those who question the integrity of the voting process are far less likely to participate. That’s clear in the graph below.

Among Americans in the 2012 ANES survey who believe that votes are “very often” counted fairly, over three-quarters (77 percent) reported that they voted. By contrast, among those with strong doubts about this process, just two-thirds (64 percent) bothered to vote, generating a net 13-point gap.

When asked whether they thought that electoral officials were fair, similar patterns can be observed, where greater trust is significantly associated with higher voter turnout. None of the other claims about electoral malpractice was observed to have a similar effect on turnout, including problems of media bias, lack of genuine choice and campaign finance.

And this isn't just bad news for Trump, this could spell disaster for the GOP this election. Die hard Trump supporters will still go out and vote for him, but he is trashing Republicans so bad, they may not vote for the down ticket Republicans. Dedicated Republicans will go and vote for all Republicans, no matter what. However, those people who support Trump, but aren't die hard supporters, and Republicans who aren't die hard party liners and don't like Trump...might just stay home and not vote at all.

Trump’s election-rigging claim will backfire. Here’s the evidence.

The nightmare scenario for the GOP is that high-information Republican voters, seeing Trump imploding and not necessarily having been happy with him as their nominee in the first place, feel free to cast a protest vote at the top of the ticket. Meanwhile, lower-information Republican voters don’t turn out at all, given that Trump’s rigging rhetoric could suppress their vote and that Republicans don’t have the field operation to pull them back in. That’s how you could get a Clinton landslide like the one the ABC News poll describes, along with a Democratic Senate and possibly even — although it’s a reach — a Democratic House.

I've always thought that this rhetoric from Trump is more about him setting up his excuses for when he loses, because he probably knows from internal polling that he is going to lose, than it is about him actually thinking the election is rigged. Trump's ego is so big, he has to come up with an excuse like this, because he won't be able to admit to himself that he lost in a fair election.

+13 more 
posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 05:54 PM
link   
No, it's people like you who discourage us.

You see, we love our Country and will not elect a Criminal.

I hope all the free check people sleep well.

You will continue receiving that benefit you did not earn.

Discouraged no, Pissed to the point we feel backed in a corner.

You damn right, this thing isn't over either.

But, it figures you are already think you won the Election.

You believe your own corrupt media...

+9 more 
posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

You fall into the category of "die hard Trump supporter" that will go out and vote for him regardless. You are the one he was talking about when he said "I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose voters".

And if I'm supposed to be getting a free check...I'll have to look into that because so far I haven't seen one.

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: kruphix

What category do you fall into? Is this where you pretend to be non-partisan?

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   

that quote is like a gift that keeps giving.

slurring his on party base. lol. can't get any better than that.

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Konduit

What category do you fall into? Is this where you pretend to be non-partisan?

Oh, not at all...I am very highly partisan.

I don't hide that.

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: kruphix

You fall into the category of "die hard Trump supporter" that will go out and vote for him regardless. You are the one he was talking about when he said "I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose voters".

And if I'm supposed to be getting a free check...I'll have to look into that because so far I haven't seen one.

I am too! "die hard Trump supporter" that will go out and vote for him regardless. In fact I did today vote for President Trump.

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Wait which criminal? Hillary or Trump?

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Someone thinks South Park is real.

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 06:09 PM
link   

No evangelicals I know are voting for Trump or Hillary. Not many Evangelicals will vote for Hillary so this hurts one party.

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 06:11 PM
link   
You love your country by siding with russia??? Seriously?

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Apparently Texas is turning blue.....

www.270towin.com...

Turmp needed Texas in a big way! All that nasty talk turned off a lot of Christians. It certainly did my Baptist, conservative, Republican, 83 yr old mother and her church friends.

edit on 24-10-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 06:12 PM
link   

" The problem with all this whining is that it seems to be having the opposite reaction than what Trump is hoping for. Instead of energizing his base, it seems like he is actually discouraging them. "

It seems to me you know Absolutely Nothing about the Voters who Support Donald J. Trump . We Like it when he talks about the Current " ELECTION PROCESS " , and how Flawed it is in Preventing Voter Fraud , Hacked Electronic Voting Machines , Voters with FAKE Identities , Deceased Registered Voters Still able to Vote , and Counterfeit Ballots being Counted as Real Votes . He is the Only Rep. who has the Balls to even Mention it . We Commend him for having the Courage to Call Out those who have let this even Happen .

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   
My question is why do you lie(to yourselves) and even say you will vote "Trump" when you're really voting "Republican"?

It would save so much face of image.

Supporting Trump and being Republican is a logical separation in itself he's so obtuse. Nothing's wrong with that, or at least as wrong or hypocritical as 'supporting Hillary'.
edit on 24-10-2016 by imjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

" Turmp needed Texas in a big way! All that nasty talk turned off a lot of Christians. "

If they Wish to Continue Practicing their Faith , they Will Have to Vote for Trump . Hillary will make sure the SCOTUS is Reconfigured to Give the Liberal Left Leaning Judges a Majority Vote . If that Happens , Religious Freedom for All Faiths will go the way of the Dinosaurs .

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Apparently Texas is turning blue.....

www.270towin.com...

Turmp needed Texas in a big way! All that nasty talk turned off a lot of Christians. It certainly did my Baptist, conservative, Republican, 83 yr old mother and her church friends.

That will be the day.

Have ever been to Texas ?

They will never vote for Clinton in Texas.

They would rather vote for a Yankee like Trump.

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Although many of HRC™ supporters are being paid to 'shill' it pales in comparison to the amount Herr Drumpf is scoring in this charade. How much exactly? Enough to get out of hock AGAIN...

Our only hope is when Mr. YUUUGE EGO exposes His tax returns, the paper trail leads back to The Clinton Cabal™ and She ends up in Prison where She belongs and Drumpf is working as the Innkeeper at His swank hotel. (He better learn how to speak Romanian...)

Then the Presidency goes to Johnson who loses His way to D.C. and quits and Jill Stein becomes POTUS by default...

Being raised a Catholic™ I still traipse about in a cloak weaved w/a guilty conscience and that will NOT allow Me to vote for either CROOK or the ultimate cop-out "lesser of 2 evils" Screw Y'all I have to sleep at night.

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   

And you don't think Hillary's lies and wikileaks is depressing Dem voters and gonna ruin their turnout too?

Logic is a cruel thing and cuts both ways.

By the way the quote you should have read is...

“Engage people with what they expect; it is what they are able to discern and confirms their projections. It settles them into predictable patterns of response, occupying their minds while you wait for the extraordinary moment — that which they cannot anticipate.”
― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Way more effective, besides your quote refers to commanders and you, like me are a grunt.

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 06:26 PM
link   
what trump has said in the runup would have, and by the looks of it has, put off normal people.
i'm sure decent republicans are embarrassed by him and many won't vote.

trump said it himself, he could shoot someone and his disciples would vote for him.
look at posters here, xeunchen, carewemust among others would kill their own families and sodomise the corpses if trump tells them too.

what looks like a split for the gop might turn out to be a good thing, let all the neo-nazi scum go and, maybe get with the 21st century.

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   
NOPE, NOT DISCURAGING ME

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join