It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Over 80 NGOs call for Russia to be dropped from UN rights council over Syria

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Didn't see this posted and thought that this was interesting news.

The signatories asked the UN member states to "question seriously whether Russia's role in Syria which includes supporting and undertaking military actions which have routinely targeted civilians and civilian objects renders it fit to serve on the UN's premier inter-governmental human rights institution," AFP reports, citing the text of the appeal.

Last week, Britain and its Western and Arab allies introduced a resolution to the UNHRC demanding a review into alleged human rights violations in the Syrian city of Aleppo. The council then voted to start an independent special inquiry into the situation in the war-ravaged city.

Source

So according to over 80 NGOs(Non-governmental Organizations) Russia's actions in the current conflict zones of Syria and Iraq are tantamount to some of the worst war crimes in recent decades. So much so that petty politics seems to be the only way to get the message across.
What I find the most baffling is that the Head of the UNHRC (Saudi Arabia) has committed far worse crimes against humanity as a theocratic state all on it's own. E.g the execution of atheists,homosexuals,the violation of women's rights and more recently the murder of civilians in Yemen. Yet the west doesn't seem to mind the Saudi coalitions use of force on civilians as an issue of global stability. No somehow a nation-state(Russia) that was invited by it's ally(Syria) to protect it's state interests is the villain of all villains. Hypocrisy at its finest.

However,that isn't to say Russia is anywhere near as innocent as Russian media moguls like RT like to depict them.
Their is no doubt in my mind that The Civilian Casualities and the The bombing of Hospitals has left a lot of blood on the hands of the Russian MIC and Justice should be served. But it should be clearly obvious to the world at this point that something is definitely wrong with this narrative if you can believe it...

edit on 10pm31America/Chicago3104America/Chicagopm1055 by NateTheAnimator because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Seriously, I don't care about Syria any more. Not because I dislike the civilians who are obviously in the middle of a war.

It is because in German MSM we are getting the info "Russia bad, BAD! All they do is bad! BADBADBAD!" with such vehemence shoven in our faces (and mayby other orificies, too..) that I am sick of it.

Really, Russia is bombing in Syria? And they still haven't won the war, doing this for over a year now? What kind of warfare is going on there?.. Don't work out an answer, it was a rhetorical question.

NGOs protesting against Russia sounds to me like "ants are protesting against the river flooding a peaceful swamp (which had its own problems all along, but never mind those)."

It will have no effects in any kind.
It sounds good in the MSM, so we will hear this new tune to the old and overused song of "bad, bad Putin" for the next 24 hours, after that it will be forgotten forever.

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Some of these members are supposed to pave the way for a brighter future:
www.ohchr.org...

Where's the social justice people on that travesty? UN should be Occupy'd.

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: NateTheAnimator

so our arab allies are going to join us in the 21st century? Are we going to stop arming terrorists in the ME?

Russia is no land of angels but they sure as hell are the closest thing to one when their bombs kill ISIS.

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   

I half expect Trump will show up here to defend Russia personally...

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManFromEurope
NGOs protesting against Russia sounds to me like "ants are protesting against the river flooding a peaceful swamp (which had its own problems all along, but never mind those)."

They said the same thing about the army of Allies coming for Nazi Germany...

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: NateTheAnimator
Didn't see this posted and thought that this was interesting news.

The signatories asked the UN member states to "question seriously whether Russia's role in Syria which includes supporting and undertaking military actions which have routinely targeted civilians and civilian objects renders it fit to serve on the UN's premier inter-governmental human rights institution," AFP reports, citing the text of the appeal.

Last week, Britain and its Western and Arab allies introduced a resolution to the UNHRC demanding a review into alleged human rights violations in the Syrian city of Aleppo. The council then voted to start an independent special inquiry into the situation in the war-ravaged city.

Source

So according to over 80 NGOs Russia's actions in the current conflict zones of Syria and Iraq are tantamount to some of the worst war crimes in recent decades. So much so that petty politics seems to be the only way to get the message across.
What I find the most baffling is that the Head of the UNHRC (Saudi Arabia) has committed far worse crimes against humanity as a theocratic state all on it's own. E.g the execution of atheists,homosexuals,the violation of women's rights and more recently the murder of civilians in Yemen. Yet the west doesn't seem to mind the Saudi coalitions use of force on civilians as an issue of global stability. No somehow a nation-state(Russia) that was invited by it's ally(Syria) to protect it's state interests is the villain of all villains. Hypocrisy at its finest.

However,that isn't to say Russia is anywhere near as innocent as Russian media moguls like RT like to depict them.
Their is no doubt in my mind that The Civilian Casualities and the The bombing of Hospitals has left a lot of blood on the hands of the Russian MIC and Justice should be served. But it should be clearly obvious to the world at this point that something is definitely wrong with this narrative if you can believe it...

Some sympathy there. First off though, you should mention that NGO's are non-governmental organisations, just to help us on our way, I actually belong to one, which does have the dog-tag of non comment where I thought there should have been, that would include a lack of criticism of the BBC reporting there where some events were clearly staged for camera, maybe even restaged again.
As for the The Independent..it's not so Independent anymore either for me, it's not even in print, only online.
Something to chew on, and to bear in mind that what is produced online by just about any still existing print paper, will not necessarily be in their print edition..that's the catch.
Now, as I said, those NGO's are not so good at disseminating their information either..at least the one I belong to for sure, and that begs the question as to how they get their information in the first place.
The White Helmets for instance are a lie anyway.

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

Probably not unfortunately, I actually read somewhere that the U.S military has considered arming the Syrian rebel groups to fight the Russians. So,good news there...

Although, you're correct Russia's own history is littered with corpses and just bad times overall,which is why I really don't consider the Russian's intervention any better than the West or god forbid the Arab coalitions involvement in the region.

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Who cares WTF the NGO's say. They aren't representing anything but their own interests. The are non-govermental organizations. It would be the same as any corporation from a gas station, convenience store or grocery store voicing an opinion.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Actually not really. Have you ever fought a sustained battle in an urban area? I have, it is not over in hours or even days. Sometimes they wait and strike. Guerilla tactics and all. If your only bombing (Russia) and your infantry and artillery (Syria) are doing next to nothing? You ain't going to win a thing. By the way no boots on the ground for a no fly zone is myth, Libya.

The Russian's got their asses handed to them in a ground battle. Allegedly TOWs supplied by us were used, which I don't doubt. We have vids of t60s getting disabled by them. We shouldn't be arming moderate terrorist groups. Since they have been selectively bombing to AID the dictator Assad's forces. When the Russian bombers go hot, they go hot. # happens and if they told you to get out, leave unarmed and you didn't? Well that's kinda on you.

No excuse for the hospital if true. They know better than that.

I believe the battle narrative, Russia is ONLY bombing and the rebels/terrorists were ALREADY kicking Assad's butt before Russia showed up.

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: WilburnRoach

I half expect Trump will show up here to defend Russia personally...

And we know you will show up here and trash him. Troll

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

Now, as I said, those NGO's are not so good at disseminating their information either..at least the one I belong to for sure, and that begs the question as to how they get their information in the first place. The White Helmets for instance are a lie anyway.

I edited the OP for clarification for the uninitiated at your request.
What particular NGO do you belong to exactly? If you don't mind my inquiry.

As to the the validity of the the info, I have no way of verifying for myself if any of this is even remotely true.
However there was a probe appeal to the UNHRC for the inquiry of human rights violations put forth quite recently, so if any of this happens to be outright lies I don't think that invalidates the hypocrisy of the UNHRC.

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Um

Isn't Saudi Arabia the head of the UN Human Rights Council?

But that's ok I guess???

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Oh it's real.

Alt source

Alt Source

Won't do a thing, but real.

top topics

join