It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I am a republican

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I believe in accountability.
I believe in integrity.
I believe that small business growth is the key to a strong economy.
I believe that Abortion is wrong and takes away a life that might have been something amazing.
*(but I also firmly believe that I nor the government has the right to tell someone what to do with their bodies, that decision lies with that person and their creator)
I believe we all have the right to be happy.
*(but I also believe that your right to express yourself ends with when it negatively affects others. If you have to demean others or make them change how they go through life, you need to re-evaluate your actions)
I think Welfare should be given to those who aren’t medically or mentally capable of earning a living. For those who are mentally and physically capable of work, if they have trouble finding a job or keeping a job, there should be a way for them to EARN money through government programs but with the caveat that they work at something to earn enough to survive. If they can’t show up to work or refuse to put forth any effort, they need not survive. Cold but acceptable by nature.
I think the government should be much, much smaller. We need to re-evaluate how much waste exists and cut it out completely. Term limits on any elected position, and stiff penalties for insider trading of any sort.
I think the election process should be changed almost completely. We need candidates to gain an accepted number of signatures to be a viable contender, then they are given a small amount of money to their campaign from a government source funded by an election account. No TV adds, no polls, just information on where they stand on the issues we the people deem important. As it stands, it’s a money/popularity contest/beauty pageant.
Remove lobbyists. Offer real information to the public and let local leaders meet with their constituents to find what the will of the public is, then pass that on up the chain of command.
Remove ourselves from needless countries were we are not welcome. Stop sticking our nose into other countries affairs. Make our home safe, wealthy, and prosperous and lead by example instead of fear.

Now, not all the things I think go along with the republican line of thinking. But overall, I identify closer with that mindset than the other. I feel that rather than assume each other thinks a certain way, we should be able to move past the party politics and have real meaningful discussions about what direction we want for our respective countries. But until we can unplug from the system and work towards thinking for ourselves, we are destined to continue on this failed path. I consider this a rant as it has no point other than to voice my opinion. Please feel free to post your beliefs and see how closely you may fit with the way others think. We may all learn something about each other that may help in understanding.

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

think Welfare should be given to those who aren’t medically or mentally capable of earning a living.

And you're willing to let someone else decide who that is? What if you were the one applying for benefits and the officer receiving your application decided you weren't?

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Well, you aren't alone, but you're certainly a member of a rapidly shrinking minority.

In the US, that doesn't make you're beliefs wrong..............just irrelevant.

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   

If I were asked to pick a label to describe my political views, the word "democrat" would not readily come to mind. My first responses would be liberal or progressive. The only attachment I have to the word "democrat" is that it currently denotes the party I happen to be registered with.

The funny part, at least to me, is that I know many republicans will read my self-description and react viscerally - nearly as viscerally as if they've put something rotten into their mouths. "Liberal" and "progressive" are words that rhetoric has trained them to recoil from... And yet reading your list of reasons, I am in full agreement with many of them - and in partial agreement with several others.

We do need term limits. Absolutely.

We do need to get money out of politics. Something I am passionate enough about that I regularly donate what little extra cash I have to this very cause - a political action group with the singular goal of making the lobbying of public officials illegal.

I even agree wholly with smaller government... Though conservatives and I usually end up butting heads on the details - as I feel that we need to streamline and cut waste to shrink the monster rather than simply gutting regulatory structure.

We might agree a bit less on welfare, but not terribly so. As a previous poster pointed out, leaving bureaucrats in charge of deciding who is and who is not "able bodied" is a troubling issue rife with the potential for abuse and incompetence. Over simplifying things a bit - my view is that we probably should have a tiered benefit system for social services. One where the very obviously unwell receive enough to exist with some level of comfort and those who seem less deserving would end up receiving some level of help - but not enough to provide total comfort... At least to begin with. An initial period of very Spartan living might help to weed out opportunists.

I think the point I am trying to make is - when we remove the vitriol and forced division that media and culture shove into the debate - under it all we're really not that divided on many issues.

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

well, the alternative is to just hand money out to anyone who asks. I can't help but think that if some smart folks put a tiny bit of thought into it, they could come up with a good way to figure out who can work and who can't.

what are your thoughts on how to make it work?

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide

I think the point I am trying to make is - when we remove the vitriol and forced division that media and culture shove into the debate - under it all we're really not that divided on many issues.

After noticing that a poster who is almost always on the other side of what I think agreed with me on something (shocked face) I decided to post some of the things I believe to see if others have any of the same beliefs. And seeing yours, it appears we do.

My opposition to welfare isn't the giving of free money at all. I fully understand that people sometimes need help. I just fully believe that helping someone find a way to take care of themselves and have the pride to make their own way and possibly the opportunity to better themselves beyond their imagination is a good thing. (the old, give a man a fish and feed him for a day, or teach him how to fish and feed him for life) kind of thought process.

And my feelings for the oppressed black community that needs the majority of those benefits is that their path has been socially engineered through time to be exactly what it is. Finding a way to engage people in those situations and promote ways of getting them into a better way of life, would make equality more than just a cool word that starts with "E".

If you pay attention to the recent floods we had here, and the past floods here and in New Orleans, you notice that the predominantly black areas are in flood prone areas. Why? land was cheap and nobody else wanted it. So now, when a catastrophe hits, they get hit hardest and they are the least financially capable of dealing with the after effects. If we don't fix that part of things, they can't help but never ever get better.

\end rambling\

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 10:49 PM
link   

well, the alternative is to just hand money out to anyone who asks.

Is that really such a bad thing?

What if everyone received a fixed sum from the state, regardless of qualification? Taxpayers could deduct that sum from their tax obligations; non-payers would just receive it.

But my point was not a political one. It was a question of conscience. Who has the right to judge another as undeserving?

Perhaps welfare decisions should be made by juries.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax

well, the alternative is to just hand money out to anyone who asks.

Is that really such a bad thing?

it depends on who's money it is you are giving away.
Do you get your pay in cash and place it outside on a table so any and all who need it can stop by and grab a few bills, and if anything is left, you pay your rent?

What if everyone received a fixed sum from the state, regardless of qualification? Taxpayers could deduct that sum from their tax obligations; non-payers would just receive it.

But my point was not a political one. It was a question of conscience. Who has the right to judge another as undeserving?

Perhaps welfare decisions should be made by juries.

I like the idea of a jury or panel of a person's piers. Couple that with an investigation committee and you have a winning idea. See, that's the kind of thing we need, ideas and discussion, not bickering.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Now...let me start by saying I can equally pick on my own side....but here is the problems I see with the realities of the conservative side. Again, feel free to ask me to tear of modern Democrats....I'll get right on that. But the problem I have is that what you write here is all theory and exceptionally little practice in what Republicanism has become. I will do my best to be without feeling on this so hopefully it opens a dialogue.

I believe in accountability. - Which I can agree with. However, modern repubs have no issue not holding Trump accountable for his statements, alleged assaults, bankruptcies, BS Trump University scam, his inability to answer a question directly...and so forth.
I believe in integrity. - also good but see above. Also, Bush and his "war on terrorism" and findings of WMD and the many other GOP lies
I believe that small business growth is the key to a strong economy. - I think I can agree here actually...moving on
I believe that Abortion is wrong and takes away a life that might have been something amazing. - This is subjective and all I can return is subjective argument so no argument here seeing as you followed up with that great statement in parentheses - moving on
I believe we all have the right to be happy. - Agreed. The problem here is that modern repubs are ecstatic to allow personal happiness, unless you are gay and want equality. In that case, your happiness needs to match the GOP's happiness
Welfare - I agree to a point. It should not be taken advantage of. However, I would extend it for a short to medium term for joblessness as long as there is clear and explicit evidence that they are trying
Government downsizing - I like efficiency. So long as it doesn't go to the point that we stop watching corporations.

but then you go to say something really odd (I may have taken this wrong)
...then they are given a small amount of money to their campaign from a government source funded by an election account. - This is government interference and I could see this becoming corrupt in literally two seconds. This is not realistic and theoretical only. But even as theory, it's easy to see the immediate breakdown is coming with this. But then you go further and so no ads, no TV. etc. So why even give the candidate money in the first place? Even though I really do not want the government to be able to be part of it, yet if all you want is the info to get out, then let the government make a pamphlet, binder, internet site with ONLY the info given by the candidate. In that case, the government needs to give no money.

Realistically, PEOPLE are the problem because ultimately, government IS people. We allow campaigns, foolish and not, because the people wanted it.

Remove lobbyists - hell yeah!
Remove ourselves from needless countries were we are not welcome - I can handle this

No kidding...nice post though

Hope I came off OK

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: KyoZero

I fully understand that politicians lie and even conservative ones do it. They may not walk the walk, but talking is not a problem.

About the election process. My issue with it, has been that whomever has the most money and the lowest moral elevator, seems to be the one who wins elections. Smear campaigns and lies coupled with negative adds, just piss everyone off. That needs to end. I am open for ideas, and certainly am not opposed to changing my mind, should a good argument come along. But somehow, we need to make the campaign for office a level playing field. There may be some amazing people who could do amazing things for all of us, but they just don't have the money or political backing others do. If we can find a way to get those folks to run for office, we might one day have a real choice, instead of the pseudo choices we have today.

I doubt we are all that different in what we really believe, sure some of us are bleeding heart liberals, and some are right, but in the end, we all want a better country and better leaders. (and yes, that was a thinly veiled jab at you just for fun)

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 09:59 AM
link   

I want to call myself liberal.

I believe in freedom, I believe in personal responsibility, I believe in small government and even smaller taxes. I think we have too many laws and too many people making laws.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Superb points. It's definitely a strong point that the campaigning process has gotten ugly from BOTH sides. My own liberals like to pretend we are above it...our candidates are NOT above that.

I wish I had a good answer as to how I fix the process. On one hand, the Electoral process gives power to the states but gerrymandering on both sides can make it ugly. The problem I sometimes have with the Electoral process is that look at Illinois, my home state. There is Chicago...and second place is everyone else. Outside of Chicago, we live in a VERY red state once you get away from the two major down state colleges (Southern Illinois my alma mater, and UI Champaign Urbana) But essentially, Chicago decides for everybody. So essentially, no matter what ever the people south of I-80 want on the federal level, it rarely matters.

So the other immediate result is going to the popular count which is subject to miscounts, corruption, dead voters, and "lost" ballots. Then again, so is the electoral.

So overall, I am with you...I don't really know HOW to fix it, but I feel it is needed

Good talking to you on this

top topics

join