It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Martian pareidolia coincidences...

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: audubon

I did tell you the usual suspects would appear.
Don't let it put you off, though.

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: fromtheskydown

Meh, I'm not taking it that seriously myself. It's just a beguiling hypothesis, and what's more it fits what we know happened in Earth's own history.

As for the 'Martian Duck'... if you zoom in you can see that the 'legs' are just the shadowed sides on two rocks next to each other, with a larger rock behind them.

Besides, how could ducks survive on Mars without old ladies to throw bread for them? Ridiculous idea.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: audubon

It would be nice to see something new but those pictures have been on here MANY times.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: wmd_2008

The trick is not to expect new things, but to see existing things with new eyes.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I spent quite a bit of time looking at Martian rocks. I saw a lot of interesting shapes, but nothing that was without a doubt some remnant of a living thing. This was probably about as close as I got. Nothing definitive.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

That first one is pretty persuasive. We had them on Earth too:

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: audubon
That first one is pretty persuasive. We had them on Earth too.

The top one was one of the best, since it not only has the shape, but it also seems to be made of a different kind of material than the stuff surrounding it. More "calcified," maybe.

I was generally looking for shapes that could have been organisms at one point, maybe billions of years ago. Round, segmented or "spoked." Something that would be difficult to imagine happening by chance. Not looking for space ship parts or old ruins (although you can find things that look like those, too.)

Unfortunately, after a while, I got a kind of feel for the way Mars rocks look, and I was actually finding too many examples of these things. Too many for them not to be simply natural occurrences.
edit on 25-10-2016 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   
That doesn't make any instinctive sense to me. It's not like 'embarrassments of riches' are unknown to fossil-hunters on Earth.

Here's the sort of thing I have in mind.

I don't see why rocks made of the sediment at the bottom of Mars's northern ocean couldn't have been absolutely peppered with little fossils in a fairly narrow range of recurring shapes.

But my objection is more conceptual, whereas yours is clearly practical, so who am I to pass judgement?

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 05:25 PM
link   

That doesn't make any instinctive sense to me. It's not like 'embarrassments of riches' are unknown to fossil-hunters on Earth.

Well, that's another thing that kind of puts the kibosh on the notion of life once existing on Mars. Life - at least on Earth - does have a tendency to cluster. But the things I was able to find weren't clustered. They were just one here and one there.

The only thing that came close were clusters of what I called "barnacles," which I eventually came to the conclusion were created by those "blueberries" you see lying around everywhere. Little spheres, probably remnants of meteorites, that have a higher iron content than the surrounding dirt. Somehow -- and I don't know exactly how, maybe with magnetism or a difference in temperature and condensation -- they attracted other tiny bits of rock and debris to form a larger round object. They got buried a long time ago, and then the wind eventually uncovered them. They look like they could have grown, and have layers and spirals, but they were never really alive.

Here's an example of how easy these things are to find. I just looked at one of the Mast Camera images from a recent Sol, and here's a curious little round thing that looks like it might have been a little plant or shell or something long, long ago. It could be a fossil, and it obviously has a different density than the stuff that has eroded around it. But it probably was never alive. It's just sitting there all by itself.

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

Otherwise, here's weird cluster of something. I don't think it was ever alive, either, but it's interesting (fossilized Martian brain):

edit on 25-10-2016 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 06:07 PM
link   

a reply to: wmd_2008

The trick is not to expect new things, but to see existing things with new eyes.

No the trick is to see things for what they actually are

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Those are great finds. I'm also really curious about the hi-res Martian photo's. I actually did a thread on it about 6 years ago here....

On the Way to Bonneville - Mars Pics

Here are a few of my favorites from shots taken from the rovers:

Here's aMartian "pyramid" that looks like it has slid to the right - check out the skid marks to it's left

And here's another with tons of interesting things but I'll just highlight one right after this. Here's the large version of the pic:

And look at this from the upper right of pic. What the hell is this? A gold Martian mask?

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

Well, that's another thing that kind of puts the kibosh on the notion of life once existing on Mars. Life - at least on Earth - does have a tendency to cluster. But the things I was able to find weren't clustered. They were just one here and one there.

That doesn't make sense to me either. 'Cluster' is a relative term, really just meaning 'local concentration'. It's true to say that deep sea life clusters around hydrothermal vents, but it's also true to call the Pleiades a cluster of stars

So it would be fair to expect fossil sea creatures to be clustered in the ancient bed of the Mars ocean, even if they weren't clustered that closely within that bed.

(Or at least, in the absence of any discovery of tight clusters, like the example I chose, with the ammonites, which was meant to illustrate why recurring shapes weren't necessarily signs of non-biological origin).

But again, this objection is more conceptual than practical.

But let me ask you: How would you explain the snake-like phenomena in the OP? (This isn't a case of 'prove me wrong!', not least because I am not asserting that my idea is right - I am genuinely interested in hearing a non-biological explanation).
edit on 26-10-2016 by audubon because: typo fix

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   

But let me ask you: How would you explain the snake-like phenomena in the OP? (This isn't a case of 'prove me wrong!', not least because I am not asserting that my idea is right - I am genuinely interested in hearing a non-biological explanation).

The Martian winds sculpts rocks into all kinds of different interesting shapes. Little chunks of stratified layers break off. There are also those cracks in the surface that get filled with that chalky stuff, and that sometimes becomes exposed by the wind. Here are some examples. They're curious, but it's doubtful that they were ever alive.

Here, again, to show you how easy it is to find these things. Here's something from a couple of Sols ago. It would be intriguing if these things weren't so common.

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

edit on 26-10-2016 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   

The problem with those examples is that they are all 'embedded' in rock, rather than standing proud of them as the 'snake' formations are. And again, we have the problem that if the 'snake' formations were produced by erosion, why is that erosion unique in each environment, instead of being visible all around?

I'm leaving aside the infamous 'levitating spoon' photo, at the bottom, because it is just so bizarre that it has to be an illusion of some kind.

Again, not being belligerent - just practising the Socratic method (so we're really co-operating in a way).

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   

The problem with those examples is that they are all 'embedded' in rock, rather than standing proud of them as the 'snake' formations are.

Well, how about these?

The wind can do a lot of interesting things if you give it a billion years to work at something.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   
See, those examples don't look at all extraordinary to me. In fact, I'm not even sure I can distinguish what you're highlighting in that first picture.

I'd feel a good deal happier about an erosion-related explanation if similar upright 'snakes' could be found in any of Earth's vast rocky deserts. (Maybe they have been found, and I'm not aware of them).

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   

I'd feel a good deal happier about an erosion-related explanation if similar upright 'snakes' could be found in any of Earth's vast rocky deserts. (Maybe they have been found, and I'm not aware of them).

You're unlikely to find things exactly the same on Earth, because in addition to much heavier wind we also have rain and earthquakes and critters and other kinds of erosive agents... AND Mars gravity is about 40 percent of what it is on Earth, so more delicate structures are capable of being sculpted without them collapsing under their own weight.

All I can suggest to you is spend a few months looking at the Mars raw images for yourself until you get familiar with what is possible there. I did, and I still have yet to see anything definitive that indicates life or technology of any kind.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   

You're unlikely to find things exactly the same on Earth

Well, that's why I said 'similar'. Obviously the planetary environment is different, but the basics (wind, sand, dust, and rock) are going to be the same, so it would be reasonable to expect to see similar phenomena on Earth.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Well, that's why I said 'similar'. Obviously the planetary environment is different, but the basics (wind, sand, dust, and rock) are going to be the same, so it would be reasonable to expect to see similar phenomena on Earth.

Please feel free to look for them. If you can find similar objects on Earth, and can be reasonably sure that they were caused by living things of some kind and not some other kind of natural geological or weather process, please feel free to post them.

It's called research. You wouldn't want me to spoil that fun for you, would you?
edit on 26-10-2016 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   

That post could be construed as a bit snippy, don't you think?

As it happens, I have looked, in so far as someone who doesn't live in an arid desert can be said to have looked for something that could only be found in an arid desert.

The internet does not seem to contain written or pictorial evidence of upright snake-like rocks existing anywhere on Earth.

But the caveats there are that
(a) obviously not everything on Earth is on the internet and
(b) the fact that I've looked for it doesn't mean I would definitely have found it even if it were there to find.

So we're back to the old 'absence of evidence' business again. But if a picture or description of such a terrestrial rock turned up, then clearly it would be a body-blow to the martian reptile hypothesis I'm playing with. And I get the feeling that if you knew of such a thing, it would be produced in pretty short order!

<< 1    3 >>

join