It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: High Court Defers on Anti-Abortion "Choose Life" Plates

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 01:27 PM
link   
It what seems to becoming more common, the U.S. Supreme Court today declined to consider if states could offer specialty license plates with anti-abortion messages. Without commenting, the Court allowed to stand a lower courts ruling that South Carolinas anti-abortion plates violate the First Amendment because pro abortion advocates have not been given a similar right to express thier stance on the issue.

story.news.yahoo.com[ /url]
WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court declined Monday to consider whether states may offer license plates with anti-abortion messages, leaving lower courts divided over whether the programs in a dozen states unconstitutionally restrict dissenting views.

Without comment, justices let stand a lower court ruling that said South Carolina's license plates, which bear the slogan "Choose Life," violate the First Amendment because abortion rights supporters weren't given a similar forum to express their beliefs.

The high court's move means that South Carolina will either have to eliminate the specialty plates or begin offering plates with abortion-rights views. That ruling is at odds, however, with a prior decision by the New Orleans-based 5th Circuit Court of Appeals, which essentially allowed the plates because it said abortion rights advocates didn't have standing to bring a lawsuit in the case.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The ruling itself is an interesting one in that it was my understanding that ANY group could if they got enough signatures could petition to create such a plate. But in California its unusually a non profit group. At any rate, they either have to after to all or none as the court said. Nice sty to stifle free speech. What we are seeing here is the back door attack that these groups are taking. They have quietly launched an attack on school boards, etc etc in an effort to take over the government infrastructure as they had been losing at the big name positions. As evidence by the uproar over teaching creation science in schools in Georgia and the like.

[edit on 1/24/05 by FredT]

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I am SO sick of "pro-life" people. If you are against abortion, then DON"T HAVE ONE. But, how DARE you try and tell another woman what she can or can't do. Am I pro-choice? No. I am pro-abortion. I think there should be more.

To me, "raising" a kid that you resent and never wanted is wrong. Alot of parents just feed em and clothe em till their 18 and set em loose on society. They in turn, spit out a bunch of little ingrates themselves and the cycle continues.

If more women would put their personal issues aside and do the right thing and abort it, there would a lot less problems in the world. The problem is that these "pro-life" people have permiated every aspect of society and alot of women are guilted into carrying the baby full-term and trying to raise it.

The whole prolife issue should be dead. This is America. We are free to do what we choose. It is not Afghanastan. It is not ruled by the Taliban. We are talking about grown women who can make a choice for themselves.

I would never put a pro-choice plate on my car, because the pro-lifers are sick in the head and would probably vandalize it. But so help me, if I ever drive by a clinic and see these Nazis out there attacking the women going in....its gonna get ugly....

[edit on 24-1-2005 by spliff4020]

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Well we all have the right to express opinions occurs, now if pro-life are so against abortions they should used their churches and start giving birth control help for every single sexually active women and men and stop complaining about abortion.

But see if they do that they will not have anything to complain about.Right?

new topics

join