It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq parliament in surprise vote to ban alcohol

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Any government that passes these kinds of laws , I consider "authoritarian".

My opinion.

*shrugs and walks away from a silly argument"

There are still counties right here in the US that are "dry". That doesn't make them authoritarian. You can't just go around making up your own definitions for words and expect to be taken seriously.

originally posted by: Encryptor

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

a reply to: Kapriti

Their country, their rules, their dictatorship.

*sigh*

We all have our own dictators.

A pity I can't give a flying fig about any other country any more since ours sucks so badly.

How are they a "dictatorship" when it was their Parliament that made this decision?

Don't you mean Corrupt Parliament made the decision for them?

I'm not going to label them corrupt nor honorable without evidence. The point is that they're not a dictatorship nor an authoritarian state. It's crap like this that convinced people that Libya was a hellhole that needed "liberating", even though the people there were far better off than they are after our "intervention".

Whether people here agree with the law or not, it was still passed through completely legal means and by a majority of its representative government which is directly elected by its citizens. Wasn't that the whole point in us "bringing democracy" to Iraq in the first place?
edit on 23-10-2016 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Odds are they didn't think this one through, trying to cater to too many groups in one shot there. I don't think it's going to last too long, TBH.

a reply to: enlightenedservant

Any government that passes these kinds of laws , I consider "authoritarian".

My opinion.

So, by your own admission, considering the effects of alcohol, banning any substance used for intoxication and/or behavioral/perception alteration is indeed authoritarian?

Cool beans, that's the US' route with illicit substances -- authoritarian. They didn't learn much from the bootlegger days, and neither will any other country trying to ban anything else of the sort.

edit on 10/23/2016 by Nyiah because: One word makes all the contextual difference.

posted on Oct, 23 2016 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Yep. The US is just as authoritarian.

<< 1   >>

join