It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq elections=more deaths

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 12:56 PM
link   
The upcoming elections, i think, will be a turkey shoot for all the insurgents who still maintain they want a Saddam style lifestyle.

Think about this, when all the voters are waiting in line to place their vote. What better opportunity for any terrorist to set off his car bomb or take pot shots?

OK, so the coalition forces will be there en-mass, but i don't think that this will be enough to deter the insurgents who are hell bent or more than likely brain washed into thinking that they will be martyrs for killing any one who wants to vote the western way.

I for one am hoping that all goes OK for the voters and they might at last see some kind of normality in their lives for once. Knowing what the insurgents are capable of though, leads me to me to believe that this will not happen in the short term.

Just my thoughts on what i think will be a hard time not just for the Iraq population, but the troops who are still there.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I dont think cars of any kind will be alowed anywhere near the lines or voting stations. Also thorough personal checks will be done far away from the polls. The biggest danger area's will be any lines that form at the security check points from suicide bombers.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I think the attacks will increase in number up to election day. It seems that after election day, the insurgents' efforts will be less effective. I think that the insurgents will throw everything they've got at the public on the day of the election.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 01:14 PM
link   
You are right about a title vehicle ban.

I know for a fact that no vehicles will be allowed anywhere near the voting stations, but that still wont stop any idiot who has been brain washed into loosing off a few rounds of ammunition.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I posted this a few days ago, and it seems that i was right about voters being targets.

I cannot see the sense in the minority who are totally against the change.

What are they hoping to achieve by blowing them selves and innocents up?

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bikereddie
What are they hoping to achieve by blowing them selves and innocents up?

Most of the insurgents seem to be hoping that teh can effect a US withdrawl. c.f. 42% of the american public thinks the troops should abandon the country right now. No telling how much higher that number will climb when the elections are over and with more casualties. People might figure 'we've done what we should've, now lets leave'. With the US and Coalition gone, the insurgents will have nothing holding them in check, and it will be sort of like iraq in the lead up to baathist rule, only problably more violent.

Also, by keeping up the attacks, the insurgents can get the shia to form a government that doesn't have much in terms of protections for the minority (but ruling elite) Sunni. Having the government itself somewhat against them, the Sunnis who weren't interested in teh insurgency will start to look at it as a vigilante protective service for themselves, and thus be more willing to support it openly and covertly. This can lead to the break-up of the new state, when it forms, itself.

Ultimately the insurgents primarily are intersted in restoring Sunni elite rule over parts or the whole of the country.

Witness also that the Shia militants, al-sadrs 'mehdi army', have 'demobilized, so to speak. If the US leaves and the insurgents can provoke them into remobilization, then there will be more atrocities commited, which will further aid the disintegration of any law and order state.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 03:12 PM
link   
So far it seems the Elections were a success, so I'm curious, do any of you bleeding heart liberals care? We can all agree it was a good thing that with all those people exposed on thirty-five Iraqis and nine suicide bombers were killed.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Wasn't it Jefferson, who said, that on occasion the roots of Liberty must be nourished with the blood of patriots? I know... I know... Bloody, and probably sounding blood thirsty, but I'm not really. It just happens that sometimes there is no easy way to find the path.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Well the elections are over, and thank goodness BikerEddie was wrong; it wasn't a turkey shoot, although some 35 innocents died, and that is in itself a tragedy.

But the Iraqi people were brave enough to risk their lives and take part in the birth of democracy in their homeland. I salute every one of them that had the courage to vote.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 04:44 PM
link   
...and Bush is once more glorified. I wish the Iraqis well, dont get me wrong. Do we know how many people actually went out and voted in Iraq?

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 04:47 PM
link   
yes the iraqi election was a resounding success!!

Go Iraq!!! *claps* *standing ovation*

I knew those Iraqis were TOUGH!! they stood up to the terrorists and said "WE WILL VOTE!"

Congrat's Iraq
you now have a Democracy!!

Im proud of them
and im proud of my american brothers who helped them achieve that amazing feat

G W Bush doesnt deserve to take credit for any of this however
he did NOT brave the streets of iraq to vote so he can shut up....

the credit goes to 2 groups

Thanks to the Iraqis for being brave and believing in Democracy
They show the true strength of Iraq today

and Thanks to the Coalitition forces , primarily the Americans and the British
for providing extra security alongside Iraqi Police and national guard

The coalition forces bloodshed does not go in vain
for IRAQ has FREEDOM once and for all!

10 cheers for Iraq and its freedom and all who make it possible!
what an awesome day in history!

added information = dgtempe on PBS news this morning they reported i think around 72 or 73% of registered voters in Iraq voted today
if true, this puts america's democracy to shame

i believe if 72% really did go out and vote; that makes Iraq the MOST democratic Nation on earth
LOL ironic isnt it?

[edit on 30-1-2005 by muzzleflash]

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 05:01 PM
link   
George W. Bush is taking credit all to himself;
apnews.myway.com...

I'd mention the troops if i were him..........

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Not true, dg. He went out of his way to credit the Iraqis and the troops for this success. Nowhere did he take personal credit.

From the same reference that you provided, here is an excerpt:

The Iraqi people themselves made this election a resounding success. Brave patriots stepped forth as candidates. Many citizens volunteered as poll workers. More than 100,000 Iraqi security force personnel guarded polling places and conducted operations against terrorist groups.

and

We also mourn the American and British military personnel who lost their lives today. Their sacrifices were made in a vital cause of freedom, peace in a troubled region and a more secure future for us all.

apnews.myway.com...

So, where is he taking all the credit for himself?

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Jsobecky, my bad.

You're right and i'm wrong, i'd rather have it that way than not have him give credit to the men..

Today Iraq, tomorrow the world!!!!! (I'm afraid)

[edit on 30-1-2005 by dgtempe]

top topics

join