It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

The hunt for the elusive Planet Nine could soon provide an answer to solar system mystery

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 06:46 PM
link   
It's all beginning to make sense......
www.news.com.au... /news-story/f1d7978b5a9b4d7315686916436304df

THE hunt for the elusive Planet Nine could be over within 16 months, according to one of the scientists who first predicted its existence.
The mammoth celestial body has so far escaped our detection but the currently hypothetical planet which is believed to sit at the edge of our solar system certainly seems to make its presence known.

The scientists who first suggested its existence earlier this year believe they’ve found further proof of the influence it yields over its cosmic neighbours.

Researchers the University of Technology California claim Planet Nine is responsible for causing the solar system to “wobble” due to its massive size.
Konstantin Batygin and Mike Brown first discovered the planet’s existence through mathematical modelling and computer simulations. They presented their evidence in January but the world has not yet been able to observe the planet directly.

Even though its believed to be 10 times the size of Earth, it has likely escaped the gaze of telescopes because it is so far away from the Sun.
This week the pair of scientists, along with fellow astronomer Elizabeth Bailey, stoked the flames of speculation by presenting a study at the annual meeting of planetary scientists of the American Astronomical Society claiming the mysterious planet is responsible for the perceived tilt of the sun.
We’ve known that the sun’s rotational axis is tilted for about 200 years, but scientists have never understood exactly why.

Bailey, Batygin and Brown believe a large planet lurking in the depths of the solar system is responsible and the latest addition to their theory was published this week by the Astrophysical Journal.

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: CaptainBeno

Let the hunt begin!

link to article

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Already posted I cannot link to it on my phone for some reason.

Did the Mysterious 'Planet Nine' Tilt the Solar System?
edit on 22-10-2016 by muSSang because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: CaptainBeno

OK, something with a mass that is 0.0000077 of the sun, is going to tilt it and cause a wobble in the solar system. ROFL. Hillary has a better chance of telling the truth, but not by much. This is along the lines of the nail on my thumb causing a wobble while i'm spinning and my nail is 10 feet away.

They need to rethink this.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

Could density and mass have a hand in that? I'm no expert?

posted on Oct, 23 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Maybe it has an eccentric orbit that brings it in close to the sun as some point?

It is just a simulation that suggests that a distant planet about 10 times the size of the earth's density, based on it's gravity caused the sun's wobble. No physical proof yet.

posted on Oct, 23 2016 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I see many people still misinterpret what they've read. The theory is not about the tilting (or wobbling) of the Sun, but about the tilt of the planets' orbits around the Sun.

posted on Oct, 23 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: CaptainBeno
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

Could density and mass have a hand in that? I'm no expert?

If planet 9 were a neutron star, yes. If that were the case however, the perturbations would be easily detected from alpha proximi. Since planet 9 is allegedly in our backyard, we should have had pretty solid data on its presence for at least the last 50 years.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Why is it that people who seemingly have absolutely no understanding of gravitational physics can dismiss the theories of professional astronomers just because they think it isn't possible??
edit on 24-10-2016 by Mogget because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 07:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Mogget

Good question! I also think that some have been misinformed, in Their physics beliefs, and do not look deeper into the answers They have received over the years for Their questions concerning such? Also I have found that some people have absolutely NO Mechanical skills or ways of thinking. They just cannot grasp the workings of some material things... They are not Mechanically inclined, but want to appear to others that they are...

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I've read about the hypothetical giant planet that might have caused Uranus to tilt over and causes gravitational anomalies in the outer solar system. I don't think something 10x the size of earth could do that though. I think they are looking for a brown dwarf, but even at the distance of the oort cloud I think something that big should be able to be seen with our current telescopes?

I agree with what was said above, the idea of a super-earth out in the oort cloud causing the solar system to wobble, is hysterical. Whatever gravitational impact it would have would be completely nullified by the presence of Jupiter and Saturn. Even without Jupiter and Saturn at that distance it would be like trying to tilt a spinning bowling ball with a pea.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 03:33 AM
link   
I doubt that the hypothetical Planet Nine has anything to do with the axial tilt of Uranus. That was almost certainly due to a large object slamming into the planet in the remote past.
edit on 25-10-2016 by Mogget because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 03:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mogget
I doubt that the hypothetical Planet Nine has anything to do with the axial tilt of Uranus. That was almost certainly due to a large object slamming into the planet in the remote past.

Your right it appears something hit it so hard as to break it in half. And it slowly came back together but as it was reforming bam another hit this one effected even orbital debris whichave later formed the moons.
edit on 10/25/16 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

top topics

join