It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is parenthood a right or a privilege?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dark GhostI am talking more about people who do evil things to their children that leave them scarred their entire lives, parents who fail miserably at raising and nurturing their children, and parents who do not have the emotional and psychological capabilities to raise a child.

Therefore, I argue that parenthood ought to be viewed as a privilege and not some right or obligation that people should aspire to.

Who gets to decide what constitutes "failing miserably"? Sounds like a recipe for busybodies to punish parents who don't teach according to the Party line.

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

Neither , it is an Obligation . If you decide to bring Children into this World , you must Commit to giving them the Best Life Possible you can provide .

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Therefore, I argue that parenthood ought to be viewed as a privilege and not some right or obligation that people should aspire to. Want to have children? Great! Just ensure you can provide the necessary means to raise, nurture, support and take responsibility for another human being before you do.

Hitler would be very proud of you for showing that every child is owned by the state.

So thanks to the evil rich elite that have stolen money from everyone else, 99% of the world population now face extinction.
Only the super rich have the born right to spread their sick DNA worldwide.

Thankfully the elite have a place in the Lake of Fire for eternity and the poor innocent victims end up in Heaven.

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
I find it troubling that anyone would even ask this question.

Not troubling when you know they work for TPTB who want the 10 New World Order rules on the Georgia Stones to become reality like only the 500 million elitists have the right to live on this entire planet.

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   
It's a curse.

#ChildFreeForever

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I wouldn't waste my time asking the government or people if I had the right or privilege over something. Actions and consequences. The incapable will always be there, the capable will always be there. Sometimes I think all those who love government would like to walk around in diapers all day and either beg for things or throw a tantrum when someone else wants the same thing.
edit on 22-10-2016 by HarumphHarumph because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

It's a responsibility.

I agree.

A lot of couples don't plan to have children. It happens in the heat of the moment. Most don't give much thought of how having a child will change their life styles. It takes a lot of responsibility and sacrifices to bring a child into this world. How many times have we heard stories of parents leaving their children in cars because they're occupied with their own immediate needs? How many times have we heard gun owners who have children not taking the time or the responsibility of locking up their guns? How many times have we've seen very young children not being supervised in public places?

Having a child is a 24/7 responsibility.

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 10:12 AM
link   

If it is a privilege then the responsibility is shifted from the parents and to the state.

I know too many want that.

I don't.

Keep it an inalienable right.

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   
It's beyond a right, its a biological certainty for most, who are free and sovereign. Words like "right" are artificial and legal. Words like "privilege" are crimes against humanity and I will kill to defend my freedom. End of Story!
edit on 22-10-2016 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

I'm sure that you pi##ed off every liberal on ATS with that one little phrase.

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Rapha

obama's version of that Hitler quote is "You didn't build that."

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   
It has to be a right.

As long as parenthood is a right, it carries individual responsibility. If it is made a privilege, then it becomes something that can be bought, much like the privilege of driving can be bought with a fee (the driving test is so simple that eventually anyone can pass, and there are an unlimited number of tries allowed). Anyone who has ever tried to raise children will tell you that it requires much more than money; it requires time and compassion and good judgement. Some of the most messed-up people I have ever known were born with a silver spoon in their mouth.

Some of the best had to struggle financially growing up.

If parenting becomes a privilege, it is longer a requirement to complete the process. One can choose to discontinue a privilege. If parenting is a privilege, a parent can choose to simply turn over their children to the government at any time. Does anyone think raising children with the knowledge that their home can be taken away on a whim of the parents is a good thing for the children?

This question comes up every so often. It's usually either a child themselves masquerading as an adult, or an adult with a troubled, loveless past. Either way, it makes no sense. I raised two children, most of their lives in extreme poverty. They had to work for what they got, and both have thanked me for raising them that way. My daughter graduated college with an AS in psychology, Suma Cum Laude, at age 19; she now works in management, is happily married, and is completely self-sufficient. My son chose to go into the trades as a CNC machinist; he is financially stable and just received a promotion to Lead Machinist at age 22. He's also considering going back to college to become a mechanical engineer.

Under any government regulation system, I would have been deemed an unfit parent. I was financially strapped, had some illnesses during that time, and tended to argue with the school board far too often. But the results are in. I raised them well.

There will always be those who perform less well, but considering the vast majority of parents do a massively better job of parenting than the government already, I believe any attempt to restrict parental rights is a heinous assault on all children, worthy of a place in the history books next to the most infamous serial killers, terrorists, and war criminals the world has ever known.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   
even the smallest insects and the largest mammals reproduce,so it`s probably neither a right nor a privilege.
This wouldn`t even be an issue if society wasn`t being forced to support and take care of people who refuse to support and take care of themselves and their spawn.
so, the real question is, is being a social parasite a right or a privilege?
It must be either a right or a privilege because society has seen fit to support and care for these social parasites who just continue to take from society and give nothing back.

nobody should have the right or the privilege of being a bloodsucking leech on the buttocks of society,NOBODY!

if you can`t even manage to provide yourself with one of the basic necessities required to survive (food) than you certainly aren`t capable of providing the basic necessities of survival for anyone else.
if society is going to be burdened with providing your spawn the basic necessities to survive then society should have a voice in whether you reproduce and how often you reproduce.
If society has to provide for your children and raise your children then by definition they aren`t your children they are societies children,shouldn`t society have the right or privilege to decide how many children that society can afford to raise and provide for?

edit on 22-10-2016 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Parenthood is neither a right nor a priviledge. It should be left alone by everyone. This is because it leads to an unethical society where a group of people will allow others to have children or not based on their personal preferences and values. If it was a perfect honest decent and good world without evil I would be all for it to be a priviledge and have exams and some pet training before people begin with children but it's not and I doubt it will become one in the near future.

We should all focus on the problems in society and prioritize them and come up with new ways to make everything better for everyone. Just a nitpick I'm working on atm, in my country we have a schooling system which is largely the same the past decades and even from the beginning. I remember having to learn in a crowded room with very low oxygen levels. Just having some plants worth a few bucks and an ionizer would make a world of difference, just like something as handing out 5 bucks worth of antiworm medicine and anti lice at the beginning of the year. That way a society can still nurture children even if they have lesser parents, not through messing with their homes but their environment.
edit on 22-10-2016 by johnnyjoe1979 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   

I always thought it was to keep the human species alive and kicking. I must of missed something somewhere.

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   
let's say that they came up with a way to prevent those they deem unfit to be parents, under whatever criteria they come up with, it seems that one poster a few posts up would have it so that most wouldn't meet the criteria in today's world where so many in the US are drawing food stamps benefits and even more wic....
okay, so we stop them from having kids, and we have alot of people utilizing birth control to avoid having kids...
our economy can only remain stable as long as the market keeps expanding, and for that to happen we need growing populations not smaller ones...
so okay, having children becomes a something someone has to earn, by meeting you standards of who is worthy....
but will the next step be that it becomes also a responsibility for those who you deem worthy of the right, just to keep us at a decent population level? would it lead to a society where one women is told sorry, you can't have children, while another is told that she must have children, and once those children are born, would those parents (because it costs a heck of alot to raise those children and no one's future is secure) at some point be demoted to not being fit parents? then what happens to the children you just forced them to have?

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I think it is a privilege.

I don't think anybody should have any say in whether or not someone has a child, but I think we should treat it as a privilege.

It's not fair to a child if their parents are unprepared.

So we should treat parenthood as a privilege we earn when and if we grow into responsible capable adults.

If someone is unable to provide for a new child to the fullest, they should recognize that and not have kids.

However, nothing quite whips a person into shape like having a child.

So actually IMO parenthood is a right that we should all respect and treat like a privilege.
edit on 22-10-2016 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Most parents do consider it a privilege to be parents and that by degrees. Many probably not so much and that be degree.

And yes failure to be able to properly take care of kids is an are where the state gets involved. When the states position got warped into supplemental care taker, surrogate, ect, the philosophy of the nature of the relationship between parent, child and state changed.

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Procreation is the only reason we live on this earth, working all your life to pay taxes and buying things is what people these day think is there right.

the reason for me to be here is to protect and make sure my girls get a great life, the rest is just filling in time.

edit on 22-10-2016 by dukeofjive696969 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Its just biology. Like saying do you have a right to eat or are you priveleged to? No its nature. Is gravity a privelge too?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join