It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need some advice on how to proceed.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 08:40 AM
link   
My guess is that the flat has terrible insulation letting way to much sound travel thru the floor to your neighbor with overly sensitive ears.
If he was able to accurately describe your bedroom adventure then he does recieve excessive noise from your flat.
You need to go find out if the flat is the problem or just him.

Other than that.
I'd tell him to stick it where the monkey put the peanut.

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

Tried that approach to begin with and then the sex issue with him phoning reared its ugly head.

People in the area cross the street to get away from this fellow, he's like a cross between Walter Mitty and Isa from still game.

Not someone i would ever wish to be seen with in public,never mind the local watering hole, where his reputation is that bad and well known that if he ever showed his face in the Pub one of the wee young team would probobly glass the fool.

Him and his ex Mrs are well known for borrowing from old and vulnerable members of the community and never paying it back, not to mention the similar complaints he has made regarding others in the area.

He's simply not a nice fellow.

edit on 22-10-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

While I personally believe that this fellow is a git, and nothing but a git, I think it is also worth mentioning the following.

A few years ago, my sister and her fiancee were living with my mother and I. We shared a flat all of us together, and my bedroom was the first at the top of the stairs. My sisters room was the next along, but the arrangement of the rooms was such that my bedroom had a wall shared with theirs. The opposite wall, was shared with our next door neighbours bedroom, a young couple involved in music education.

Suffice to say, that both my sister and her fiancee, and the couple next door, were very much in touch with their emotions and their physical needs, such that during the period of time when these things are most likely to occur, I would often get the surround sound experience, shall we say. Poor construction can make a building a nightmare to live in.

However, I would also reiterate that in my opinion, your neighbour is a git, and needs to be slapped with some sort of court order or other, to get him to wind his simpering neck in, before someone snaps it for him.

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Granted there is no insulation between the floors which are only around 30cm apart and the floor boards are in terrible condition under the carpeting. The state of the flat is an issue but not one the housing feels warrants there attention. Had them out before that was my first thought but they say they wont do anything.

And like i said the guy has a history regarding reporting crap for no good reason.

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 08:48 AM
link   

You've been given some good advice by various members.

It sounds like this guy has a huge chip on his shoulder that you and your family got the apartment. Perhaps he had a relative or friend that was also trying to get into that same apartment at the same time and he is bitter and resentful that you would not heed his earlier "warnings" about the place.

Alternatively, he could just be an unpleasant individual that wanted your place to stay vacant as long as possible because he was used to zero noise before you moved in.

edit on 22/10/2016 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I am currently renting a downstairs unit in an old building and can actually relate to trying to cope with upstairs neighbors' noise in a structure without ANY insulation. Check out your lease and find out what it says about noise and read the wording carefully and perhaps contact a legal resource to decipher it. Local noise ordinances are also worth checking into. I suspect that you are well within your rights and have nothing to worry about.

Don't listen to the suggestions to show the guy what REAL noise is like- this will just escalate the problem. It isn't easy to deal with noise that you have no control over, and perhaps this guy had problems with a previous tenant or a disability such as PTSD that causes him to be sensitive to certain types of noise.

If I was in your situation, I would attempt to befriend this fellow- kill him with kindness. Invite him up for dinner, give him a slice of cake... Go out of your way to keep the noise down during the "quiet hours" that are probably covered in your lease to show him that you are trying to be respectful (I'm not suggesting that you haven't already done this, just going on my own experience of being awakened in the middle of the night by neighbors who slam doors repeatedly for no apparent reason).

You might also want to try covering your floor with thick carpet/rugs to help muffle any stray sounds that might carry through the structure. Sure, you shouldn't have to do any of this stuff, but, as you mentioned, you can't afford to move- so, some extra steps might be a worthwhile idea to prevent the situation from becoming worse (believe me, it can get worse).

Good luck- I'm sorry that you have to deal with this.

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

How would you befriend someone that raised such issues with you partner?

Its not like i did not try to accommodate the fellow to begin with but now it seem that being friends with the fool is simply a nonissue or at the very least a tenuous situation to consider.

Floors are all carpeted and/or laminated wood with soundproof under boards rated to 30 decibels apparently. And that was at my own expense.

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 09:08 AM
link   

I understand how difficult this must be for your entire family...
If he has a disability of some sort, he may not be in complete control of his actions.
Try to forgive him for the way he treated your partner, and see what happens if you go out of your way to be nice to him.
Holding onto anger/resentment serves no real purpose and will only make you miserable (in my opinion).

If he is just a disrespectful individual with no concept of reality, and the issues continue, I strongly suggest doing everything you can to find a different place to live even if this seems impossible right now.

Of course, none of this is your fault- I suspect that the landlord did not fully disclose any potential problems prior to renting the unit. Again, good luck- this kind of thing really makes life difficult. Money is hard to come by these days for lots of people, myself included, and trying to move a small family AGAIN will be a burden. But, try to do what is best for your family and someday you will look back on this with relief that you got away when you could.

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Guy apparently goes to bed at 8pm, my TV is set to around set to around 12%, and police have told us the noise is not a problem.

Early to bed, trying to get to sleep when obviously you guys are still up? So any noise is a bother at that point.

I get it. The cops are on your side andyou're 'stuck', just ignore him from now on. If he knocks or calls just ignore him. If the police knock or call just shrug as many times as it takes for them to begin to focus on him.

That is weird that after 'thirty times' they still respond, because they 'have to'. Do file reports if he does anything that crosses that legal line, they need a record built up over time of any 'unwarranted' activity.

Especially if he's being lewd to your wife on the phone. Record him when he's 'complaining'.

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Every night make loud sex noises. Over and over exaggerated moans get some creeky springs or bang the headboard against the wall. Make him embarrassed. What's he going to say to the police? They have loud sex? He will come off as the pervert.
Start telling neighbors that the pervert listens for when your having sex.
He's practically a peeping Tom at this time. Then make a big deal about keeping the children away from him. You don't have to accuse him just make a show that you think he's sleazy. He is. It's no lie.
Make him the evil doer.
How long is the lease? Maybe you can get him to move if they neighbors start thinking he's a problem tenant.

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: Bluntone22

Granted there is no insulation between the floors which are only around 30cm apart and the floor boards are in terrible condition under the carpeting. The state of the flat is an issue but not one the housing feels warrants there attention. Had them out before that was my first thought but they say they wont do anything.

And like i said the guy has a history regarding reporting crap for no good reason.

I have worked on properties in Glasgow like yours , Years ago during renovations they took the cinders out of the flooring space to re-new plumbing etc and never replaced them

if you put down some cushion foam or even old newspapers that are getting binned from a shop and filled the floor voids with sand ? like they do in the roofs of night clubs to kill the sound but layer the floor with plastic first then tabopan the
the floor .

Also buy him a set of ear plugs from screw fix it and put it through the bams door with a note to get a life

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

Oh the diplomatic approach. Maybe. I think revenge. Hey I have Italian blood in these veins.
edit on 10222016 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Sue him for alienation of affection.
Tell the judge your wife has been unable to achieve satisfaction because she's worried he may be listening and that she is reluctant to engage. Tell the judge this man is interfering with your connubial bliss and he has caused a rift in your relationship with your wife. Big money in that but just to get him to move is a good goal.

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

He says 30 times, like i said i they have only ever attended our property on 4 occasions and established there was no noise present.

I don't think he will phone again, he wont even look our direction in the close after what he done so i cant really record him.

I have to wonder through if indeed these alleged noise disturbances are an issue why he has not bothered to record those?

Think the Police should have records of his alleged complaints, and if there are 30 of them, as he says, that are unfounded one has to wonder why nothing has been done regarding waste of Police time?

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

I think it's satisfaction that's his problem, how dare we stop, then start again or change position thus interrupt the creepy wee bastards masturbation process, eh?
LoL

My skins crawling now.

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: stonerwilliam

You're suggesting they pull up floor boards to fill the voids?
Wouldn't installed carpet and cushion accomplish the same thing without deconstruction of the building?

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Like i said i have fully carpeted and put down flooring with additional, apparently, sound proof boarding.

What more can any sane minded person expect???

I have attempted to accommodate the fool in various different fashions.

Like to think i can get on with most people but this noise complaining sex pest just don't want to play nice or so it seems.

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Oh how awful. I'm totally creeped out now.
As a woman I can tell you that the thought of another listening is a complete turn off.
I feel for you.

Oh and there are no laws about noise in the daytime. Get those kids some toy drums and bells or have the older one practice
an instrument after school.
God awful violin or recorder playing can get under your skin. I know personally. Of three boys only one proved to have any talent playing instruments.

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Be patient, give him time, he'll sink his own ship, if you aren't lured by hin to over react.

That is his gambit, to get you so peeved you do something unwarranted to him.

So shrug it off, live your life. Control freaks are everywhere.

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: stonerwilliam

You're suggesting they pull up floor boards to fill the voids?
Wouldn't installed carpet and cushion accomplish the same thing without deconstruction of the building?

When some old properties were constructed in that area they used coal cinders between the floor beams as people back then had no carpets just linolium flooring , we may laugh at this today but many people say these old tenement building were better sound proofed than today
edit on 22/10/2016 by stonerwilliam because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join