It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Someone Is Learning How to Take Down the Internet

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   
In light of today's DDOS situation on the East coast, this might be relevant.

We could be seeing tests to learn the limits of various sections of the internet structure and the responses used.

Schneier on Security

Over the past year or two, someone has been probing the defenses of the companies that run critical pieces of the Internet. These probes take the form of precisely calibrated attacks designed to determine exactly how well these companies can defend themselves, and what would be required to take them down. We don't know who is doing this, but it feels like a large nation state. China or Russia would be my first guesses.

Recently, some of the major companies that provide the basic infrastructure that makes the Internet work have seen an increase in DDoS attacks against them. Moreover, they have seen a certain profile of attacks. These attacks are significantly larger than the ones they're used to seeing. They last longer. They're more sophisticated. And they look like probing. One week, the attack would start at a particular level of attack and slowly ramp up before stopping. The next week, it would start at that higher point and continue. And so on, along those lines, as if the attacker were looking for the exact point of failure.

The attacks are also configured in such a way as to see what the company's total defenses are. There are many different ways to launch a DDoS attack. The more attack vectors you employ simultaneously, the more different defenses the defender has to counter with. These companies are seeing more attacks using three or four different vectors. This means that the companies have to use everything they've got to defend themselves. They can't hold anything back. They're forced to demonstrate their defense capabilities for the attacker.

More to read at the link

Link

Related

+20 more 
posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

....large nation state. China or Russia would be my first guesses.

My Car is broken ..... China or Russia My wife left me .... China or Russia I lost my job .... Russia or China

edit on 10212016 by frenchfries because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   
almost none of us are in any position to accurately judge the information that comes from the info peddlers. You either choose to accept someones narrative or you dont. Governments enjoy being able to make pronouncements without having to show any proof or evidence, you know, because of national security.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   

And then they took out that French TV network.

Somebody is practicing to mess with the US elections.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   
It's a group of nation with access to resources.

The internet of everything might be part of it

Beware of all-powerful DDoS malware infecting cellular gateways, feds warn

Record-breaking DDoS reportedly delivered by >145k hacked cameras

Many more out here

It can't always just be "for the lolz". The internet is a new frontier for warfare and control of information. Given it is used to control some much infrastructure, it's a logical place to attack the infrastructure.
edit on 10/21/2016 by roadgravel because: typos

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Anyone remember Stuxnet, Duqu, Flame. It's not just for the fun of it, IMO.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   

This is terrible - without the internet I won't see all these weird US recipes that have pumpkin as the main ingredient - argggh!!!

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   
China or Russia?
Or the US itself?
They like to do things in secret and blame it on someone else.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   
This is a false flag, guarantee it.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Mr. Robot

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tjoran

And what do you base that assertion on?

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance

originally posted by: Tjoran

And what do you base that assertion on?

This:

youtu.be...

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Maybe Anon or similar preparing something if Hillary wins.

Maybe Anon or similar preparing something if Trump wins.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Even Weebly has been affected. My personal website there is no longer functional, it seems there has been a major security breach so they've protected my site by putting it offline.

And Asgardia.space, the famous new space nation, has received a major cyberattack.

edit on 21-10-2016 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
In light of today's DDOS situation on the East coast, this might be relevant.

We could be seeing tests to learn the limits of various sections of the internet structure and the responses used.

Schneier on Security

Over the past year or two, someone has been probing the defenses of the companies that run critical pieces of the Internet. These probes take the form of precisely calibrated attacks designed to determine exactly how well these companies can defend themselves, and what would be required to take them down. We don't know who is doing this, but it feels like a large nation state. China or Russia would be my first guesses.

Recently, some of the major companies that provide the basic infrastructure that makes the Internet work have seen an increase in DDoS attacks against them. Moreover, they have seen a certain profile of attacks. These attacks are significantly larger than the ones they're used to seeing. They last longer. They're more sophisticated. And they look like probing. One week, the attack would start at a particular level of attack and slowly ramp up before stopping. The next week, it would start at that higher point and continue. And so on, along those lines, as if the attacker were looking for the exact point of failure.

The attacks are also configured in such a way as to see what the company's total defenses are. There are many different ways to launch a DDoS attack. The more attack vectors you employ simultaneously, the more different defenses the defender has to counter with. These companies are seeing more attacks using three or four different vectors. This means that the companies have to use everything they've got to defend themselves. They can't hold anything back. They're forced to demonstrate their defense capabilities for the attacker.

More to read at the link

Link

Related

You do realize that DDOS'ing the Internet backbone isn't new, yes? The only thing new about "taking down the internet" is the phrasing, for one, and how they distribute the DDoS attack. The attacks are becoming more power because of IoT and TOR. They were attacking the backbone years ago (circa 2000) and no one gave a damn -- because it barely touched bandwidth. Everyone needs to stop crediting Russia/China for these attacks, before and all out 21st century Cyberwar becomes a reality.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Live Internet Attack Map
NOTE: This represents merely 1% of the attacks going on right now.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: imthegoat

Did you read he article. It's about how the attacks are evolving.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   

If this had not followed a transfer of the DNS keeping out
from U.S. based control, and attack on Wikileaks, I might
think China.

Because now...if the U.S. is doing this to black out information
before the election, it is certainly legal...they are not attacking themselves.

I have a feeling about this one....

edit on 21-10-2016 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman
Maybe Anon or similar preparing something if Hillary wins.

Maybe Anon or similar preparing something if Trump wins.

It could be something as simple as Deutsch Bank, they did after all threaten collapse of the financial system if they had to pay the fines for their criminal activity.

Cheers - Dave

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join