It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major US East Coast hack

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore
a reply to: kngfc

Does anyone think we should be worried if we have a Credit Card saved on Amazon?

I found an ingenious way to defeat them on this front. First I make sure I am DIRT POOR. then, I do what I want. If I get hacked, they steal $55.47 and my life continues unhampered.

I should sell this plan to lifelock.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Here's a partial list of affected sites:

ActBlue
Basecamp
Big cartel
Box
Business Insider
CNN
Cleveland.com
Esty
Github
Grubhub
Guardian.co.uk
HBO Now
Iheart.com (iHeartRadio)
Imgur
Intercom
Intercom.com
Kidrobot
Okta
PayPal
People.com
Pinterest
Playstation Network
Recode
Reddit
Spotify
Squarespace Customer Sites
Starbucks rewards/gift cards
Storify.com
The Verge
Twillo
Twitter
Urbandictionary.com
Weebly
Wired.com
Wix Customer Sites
Yammer
Yelp
Zendesk.com
Zoho CRM
Credit Karma
Eventbrite
Netflix
NHL.com
Fox News
Disqus
Shopify
Soundcloud
Atom.io
Ancestry.com
ConstantContact
Indeed.com
New York Times
Weather.com

edit on 10/21/2016 by AdmireTheDistance because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: kngfc

A DDoS attack is rarely limited to just once. I wouldn't be surprised if it's goes on all weekend.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I read that it is targeted on the East Coast of the US.
Why is that?

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
Why is that?

It's focusing on a single DNS provider (Dyn. Inc). They host and provide most of the Internet for the east coast.
edit on 21102016 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
Why is that?

It's also effecting the West Coast and Britain, just to a lesser extent.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

That avatar is sooo annoying

It's his mother, telling him to come out of the basement and get some vitamin D

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   
www.reuters.com...

Can anyone here at ATS, recall these comments or concerns from U.S. officials sometime ago?

"Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano warned on Thursday that a major cyber attack is a looming threat and could have the same sort of impact as last year's Superstorm Sandy, which knocked out electricity in a large swathe of the Northeast.

Napolitano said a "cyber 9/11" could happen "imminently" and that critical infrastructure - including water, electricity and gas - was very vulnerable to such a strike.

"We shouldn't wait until there is a 9/11 in the cyber world. There are things we can and should be doing right now that, if not prevent, would mitigate the extent of damage," said Napolitano, speaking at the Wilson Center think tank in Washington and referring to the September 11, 2001, attacks." ~ Janet Napolitano

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Gotta stop the wikileaks. Surprising they didn't start in ATS and work their way out.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

That's been a real threat since the 80s. The only real difference now is almost everyone is connected, whereas in the 80s it was mainly businesses.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Obama Tells CIA To Prepare For Cyber War With Russia
In what is looking more and more like a season finale of the HBO series "House of Cards" with each passing day, the Obama administration is now literally threatening a cyber war with Russia over allegations it was behind the hacking of Clinton's emails. According to an exclusive NBC report, the Obama administration "is contemplating an unprecedented cyber covert action" (though it's unclear how exactly it's covert if Biden is announcing it to the world via an interview with Chuck Todd) against Russia, in "retaliation for alleged" interference in the American presidential election, and has asked the CIA to draft plans for a "wide-ranging "clandestine" cyber operation designed to harass and "embarrass" the Kremlin leadership."

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Dyn Status Report

updating regularly.
As of now:

Update - This DDoS attack may also be impacting Dyn Managed DNS advanced services with possible delays in monitoring. Our Engineers are continuing to work on mitigating this issue.
Oct 21, 16:48 UTC
Investigating - As of 15:52 UTC, we have begun monitoring and mitigating a DDoS attack against our Dyn Managed DNS infrastructure. Our Engineers are continuing to work on mitigating this issue.
Oct 21, 16:06 UTC
Monitoring - Services have been restored to normal as of 13:20 UTC.
Oct 21, 13:36 UTC
Update - This attack is mainly impacting US East and is impacting Managed DNS customers in this region. Our Engineers are continuing to work on mitigating this issue.
Oct 21, 12:45 UTC
Investigating - Starting at 11:10 UTC on October 21st-Friday 2016 we began monitoring and mitigating a DDoS attack against our Dyn Managed DNS infrastructure. Some customers may experience increased DNS query latency and delayed zone propagation during this time. Updates will be posted as information becomes available.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh
Napolitano said a "cyber 9/11" could happen "imminently" and that critical infrastructure - including water, electricity and gas - was very vulnerable to such a strike.

Perhaps. But the current attack(s) are on a DNS host, and have nothing to do with critical infrastructure.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Does anyone else remember when we didn't have the Internet and the lights kept working, water kept running and my fridge didn't need a wifi connection?

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

That's a pretty lengthy list. Based on what little I know of this subject, I feel that it is either a coordinated attack by multiple parties, or the entity behind it has a lot of skill and power to carry it out on their own.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Our illustrious leaders are all clairvoyants. We should definitely start trusting them in telling us where the world is headed.

Cyber war with Russia. Now who didn't see that coming?

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

I would say no.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Managed DNS from Dyn ensures optimal website uptime, speed, and reduced latency.

Not today.

The internet was design to be distributed and redundant. As large parts of monopolized, that goes away.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

That's a pretty lengthy list. Based on what little I know of this subject, I feel that it is either a coordinated attack by multiple parties, or the entity behind it has a lot of skill and power to carry it out on their own.

It's a coordinated attack, and the attackers have a lot of resources at their disposal and are using multiple attack vectors, but the affected sites aren't being targeted directly, it's the DNS host that's being attacked.

Most likely one group or entity.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join