It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major US East Coast hack

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I checked the forums and didn't see any topics on this yet.

Link below

DNS Provider DDoSed leading to Internet outage in Mid West and East Cost United States Twitter, Spotify, Reddit, The New York Times, others unavailable to US visitors Internet service was disrupted for many people in the Eastern and Mid-West United States on Friday after a web-hosting service was attacked by hackers. The outage was massive as can be seen in the image below. DNS Provider DDoSed leading to Internet outage in Mid West and East Cost United States The outage occurred after unknown hackers launched a Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attack on Dyn Inc., a significant Domain Name Server provider. “Some customers may experience increased DNS query latency and delayed zone propagation during this time,” Dyn said in a note posted on its website. “Our Engineers are continuing to work on mitigating this issue.” Twitter, Spotify, Reddit and The New York Times, among other sites, were all reported to be disrupted, according to numerous postings from people on social media. According to a post on Hacker News , these sites have been affected with many being unable to use their services. Though reports suggested that it is mostly those based on the US east coast users who are unable to access the Internet, but some European users are also complaining about non-availability of websites.

US east coast hack

Below is the image showing the affected area.

I'm hoping this is nothing serious. With tensions running high across all spectrums right now, the finger pointing will soon begin. Keep it safe out there!

edit on 21-10-2016 by kngfc because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-10-2016 by kngfc because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: kngfc
Major hack?
Or
The govt shut some of it down?

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Its a Ddos attack. I highly doubt the govt is ddosing amazon.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
Major hack?
Or

Yeah, someone told me it was intentional. Not saying who.

+19 more 
posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   
That avatar is sooo annoying.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: bknapple32
a reply to: butcherguy

Its a Ddos attack. I highly doubt the govt is ddosing amazon.

Well something is going on with Amazon. I haven't been able to order anything in two days.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

the DDos attack hit a lot of major internet outlets. This OP isnt really up to quality in describing what happened. More of a quick to post type thread. I only mention this in the hopes that OP edits and adds, because this is how we get conversations of the uninformed

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Could you fix your link please😊

edit on 21-10-2016 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
Major hack?
Or

Gulf of Tonkin

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Attack happened right at the time wikileaks released the latest batch of emails, and i read that it originated from the west coast of the usa?

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: oddnutz

links with proof please?

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Well if this is the Russian, China invasion, then it proves that America does not have God protecting her anymore.

@angeldoll. i agree. Its like 6666666666666 repeating itself over and over again looking at the carving on the wood to the right of the face.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Tristran

"God" has nothing to do with this. Take that elsewhere.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Its a DDoS attack against a DNS provider. This more than likely someone testing out a new Mirai IoT botnet variation.

Dyn Status

What is Mirai
edit on 21-10-2016 by Vizzle because: typo

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I don't understand all the tech stuff, but could this be, in any way, a problem connected to the recent handover of controls by US government to ICANN?

So why change a system that isn’t broken? The US insists it’s handing over control because it considers the private-sector internet sufficiently “mature.” There are rumblings that Edward Snowden’s disclosures about US government surveillance in 2013 raised uncomfortable questions about American dominance of key internet infrastructure. China and Russia have also supported calls for the system to be overseen by the United Nations’ International Telecommunication Union instead of ICANN.

When the handover is complete, the naming system will be in the hands of ICANN, a “multi-stakeholder” organization whose members include governments, tech giants, and other entities who might have a vested interest in controlling the system. The US government says it’s done a study that shows the chances of ICANN being steered by a government pursuing its own agenda to be “extremely remote.“
qz.com...

That last sentence is telling.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

no, it has nothing to do with ICANN

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I cant get Mr robot out of my head with this.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   
so, as I tried to reply, my first reply was eaten with a "Server could not be found" message....

Anyway, from reading several different sources, some contradicting each other, some complimenting each other (matrix is hosed this morning):
Twitter, redditt, amazon, netflix, spotify were the main noticable ones.
It happened around the time wikileaks released their emails
wikileaks was affected as well.
It was caused using IoT devices

Don't quote me on any of the above, as it was compiled from several sources.

Timing is suspect, could be coincidence, or the beginning of something nefarious.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Can't order from Amazon. Thanks Hillary. Was going to vote for you but now that bridge is burned. All because of your damn private server.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vizzle
a reply to: queenofswords

no, it has nothing to do with ICANN

Thanks. As I said, I'm not real knowledgeable about how all the technical mechanisms work.

I asked because I read that this transfer of control could affect the maintenance of the Internet’s global DNS, and I translated "mainenance" in the literal sense, I guess. I was thinking 'domino effect'.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join