It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Friend In Arizona...

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: DBCowboy

I prefer North Korea. No one ever gets murdered here. Not ever.

Food kinda sucks though, but hey, what's a little bit of sawdust bread every once in awhile compared to personal safety?

North Korea?

I wish!

Isn't that where unicorns are from?

Much better than America. How's the boot-leg toilet paper business doing?

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Dang, they're giving you food? I've been eating waste...

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Isn't that where unicorns are from?

Sorry, we don't believe in your capitalistic fantasy beings, we have Dear Leader.

How's the boot-leg toilet paper business doing?

Not too good.

*note to self: poison ivy has three leaves*

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   

"Leaves of four, eat some more"!
Homer J. Simpson, prophet

And that does look like some tasty beer! Do mind if I have a sip? Something to wash this down with.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I understand the concerns she might have. The US is usually portrayed as one crazy place.
I just spoke with a gentleman from Birmingham last night (visiting US) and he commented that it is "quite safe" here.

Please show her this:
The US is BIG. With lots of land everywhere. You won't feel pressured to interact with anyone, or deal with a lot of people.
Arizona is hot, dry and gorgeous. Someone may comment on your accent, but in my extensive travels, the whole Western US is very very polite. I am female and would walk alone in most towns in the West at night. Just be aware of surroundings like you would anywhere.

I live 7 (7!) miles from Ferguson Missouri (you know, where all the rioting was?) and it was never a problem. NEVER. I was in Ferguson almost daily during the troubles and was safe. The problems were contained in about 2 sq miles at worst. And things are rebuilding nicely. We eat at a brewery in Ferguson all the time. I say this to tell you the media EXAGGERATES to make news and inflame people. DO NOT let the media put you off a trip to our country.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Just to help our cousins across the pond. . . .

Most studies do show that if you visit America;

Trump will grope you
The government will spy on you
Sharknado's

And the most important thing for any British person to understand. . . the second you step foot on US soil, you'll want to dump some tea in a harbor, sign a Declaration, and swear Independence!

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   

You forgot that every time one of those things happen, you get a commemorative t-shirt.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Excallibacca

You forgot that every time one of those things happen, you get a commemorative t-shirt.

"I was groped by Donald Trump and all I got was a lousy t-shirt."

Marketing idea. . . level Awesome!

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Getting up in the morning is a risk. The states isn't that bad. Especially AZ. Ther'es nothing there but some nice towns and cities in the desert. It's boring and safe.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Biggest danger of being in Arizona for a week is being snake bit. And I doubt that will happen.

Crime isn't rampant, and in Arizona you have to be crazy to try anything funny (open carry state, and everyones packing). Your biggest risk is far flung rural areas.

Tell him to make sure he tries the Mexican food. Look for a dive that has a full parking lot....those are the best of the best places to eat authentic Mexican food.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Just to help our cousins across the pond. . . .

Most studies do show that if you visit America;

Trump will grope you
The government will spy on you
Sharknado's

And the most important thing for any British person to understand. . . the second you step foot on US soil, you'll want to dump some tea in a harbor, sign a Declaration, and swear Independence!

I don't know about swearing independance, but if you don't stand when they pledge allegiance people will write angry facebook posts about you.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   
First moved to AZ in 1961. Have lived in the Phoenix metro area continuously since 1967.

There's nothing to worry about. Like any big city though, there are parts of town that are better than others. I wouldn't worry about being shot... something about an armed society being a civil society comes to mind. (concealed carry without a permit is legal here). It's not, however, the Wild West as one might imagine. Phoenix is the 6th largest city in the country and wouldn't be if it was a lawless hellhole. Things are actually pretty chill.

Snakes aren't a problem unless you are out of the city and then rarely. The Sonoran Desert is one of the prettiest in the world and I would hope visitors had the opportunity to see some of it.

Summers are brutal but the worst is behind us at this point. High for today is 97º (36.1 C) and low is 65º (18.3 C). Big difference from when it is 118º (47.7 C) outside. Yes, it IS a dry heat but then again, so is the inside of your oven. FYI, it isn't so "dry" during monsoon season but that is behind us now too (humidity today is 14%)

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

True Bro! Good for You for being concerned about Your Dear friend! I lived in Phoenix Arizona for a summer back when I was 18, turning 19 years old. So a long long time ago!!LOL!!

There are scorpions that as mentioned already can be a danger, unless one is careful. The small tan colored ones are deadly, as compared to the more colorful larger ones...Also there are Black Widow spiders there that are a pain in the ass. There again, if they are careful, all will be fine...

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Heh... Heh...
Whelp... Heh...
I WISH AZ were that exciting... maybe if they were moving tons of illicit chemicals then it could get dicey, but even then... nah.

People here are generally more relaxed and friendly than most U.S. areas and the southern Sonoran Desert, my home, has an alien beauty... northern AZ is mountains, buttes and pine trees... and take a sweater for the nights... and don't stick your hand in random piles of debris due to scorpions, but... no worries.

The cities are basically like anywhere else now in the u.s.... big strip malls.

Wow, thanks Trump... now the world thinks everyone is rabid here. .. at least the traffic will be light, tho.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   
No worries the only danger your buddy will experience is possible heat exposure. (Arizona is like an oven) and the ocasionally over aggressive driver ridding your bumper on the highway.

Other than that arizona is a fairly friendly place.

Depends where in arizona too.

Flagstaff and the real danger is boredom.

Pheonix the danger is the sun and the college sorority girls in booty shorts.

In sedona the only real hazard is getting scammed by some newager selling crystals.

He'll be fine.
edit on 21-10-2016 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

If he will be visiting Phoenix, don't roll down your car window, even in the middle of the day; he will be hounded for money by the tweakers (meth-heads). Phoenix is crawling with those. Actually, just stay out of Phoenix.

Scottsdale, cleaner and safer.

Tempe (old town) nice shopping area, but don't drink there at night, he could get ruffied, and robbed.

Hydration is key anywhere in AZ.

edit on 21-10-2016 by KTemplar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Just don't recommend Scotland. The men all wear skirts and they eat Haggis. And they're immortal, from the clan McCloud or something like that.

I thought that was a reason TO go to Scotland!!!!!

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: SyxPak

Cheers Syx!

Thanks for your contribution!

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Right...

Thank you everyone for your comments and contributions to the situation. I really appreciate those of you who have offered genuine perspective on the issue at hand. However, while I understand all too well the ridiculousness of the question I posed, having had some of the more hilarious responses in the thread (which again, I totally and one hundred percent understand the motivations behind), I do not think I will be able to show this thread to my friend without it offering her far too many psychological escape routes from the state of mind that I was trying to instigate.

When one is almost hysterically devoted to freaking out, even satirical comments highlighting the stupidity of the concerns raised, can appear to offer a reason for further concern.

All that being said, the more serious interactions with the subject matter in this thread, have offered me plenty of ammunition to throw her way, to try and reason with her a little bit on the issue. So I really appreciate that, and I personally love the fact that you folks have a good sense of humour about these things.

Lastly, I want to make it absolutely clear, that I do not share any of my friends concerns about the safety of her man while he goes about his business in the States. Having interacted with a great many of you repeatedly over the years, it is my estimation that any nation that can produce such a great bunch of folks as those who have participated in discussion here, and for that matter in this very thread, is probably a saner and safer place than many we could name.

Thanks once again for your input folks!

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join