It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elementary school cancels Halloween, so some kids dont feel excluded

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 07:39 PM
link   
so the christians finally get their way to get pagan festivals scrapped.
only april fools and valentines left.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 07:45 PM
link   
People and organizations in the US need to stop altering everything under the sun because someone gets offended.

Just because someone is offended, doesn't mean they are right.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: stinkelbaum

As an atheist, even I understand atheist have done 1000 x more to cancel school holidays than Christians ever have.

Christians are an accepted SJW target though so feel free to keep following the hive. Few will call you out on it.

edit on 21-10-2016 by DrStevenBrule because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: stinkelbaum
so the christians finally get their way to get pagan festivals scrapped.
only april fools and valentines left.

You want to know what's really nuts?

My son's private Christian school has more of a Halloween celebration than this school does now. Since it's nondenominational, they don't call it Halloween for the more strict, but they also recognize that kids like to dress up and not every denomination is so worried about it, so they typically schedule a Spirit Week and invite the kids to dress up anyhow in some sort of costume or other that week.

And of course, those that do not want to, can always wear their uniforms.
edit on 21-10-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I believe the difference is people paid little mind to those devout christians, we could all laugh them off. Not so anymore will this new group of secular purist who hide behind small groups like muslims to justify stupid decisions.

The problem is are we simply a state, or a nation? Are we random people who are governed/bonded together by a political entity or are we a people with a similar culture who are governed by the same entity, americans.
These people simply do not like american culture, doing things like this destroy the civil culture.
I'm glad I still live in stereotypical small town usa and rarely have to deal with this.

Here is a thought experiment, If in sweden we got rid of of every swede and brought in 20 million koreans would it still be Sweden?
Something to think about while some attempt to de-americanize america.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: jellyrev

Thing is that if it was the devout Christians who were such a huge problem, then how did Halloween ever develop as a celebration in this country in the first place? It makes no logical sense whatsoever.

If what the atheists and SPs and pagans say is true and fewer and fewer people all the time are Christian and that's why we are throwing down the "horrid" Christian moral persecution ... then how on earth did such holiday observances as Halloween ever become entrenched? You would have thought this would be a new thing but it's not.

Here's a 19 52 episode of Ozzy and Harriet where they were having a Halloween Party. Obviously, this was when married couples still had to be portrayed in different beds for moral reasons, but here we have that awful, demonic Halloween! Guess Christians didn't mind it that much.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

How did it develop? The billion dollar confection industry, mostly. That's why we have Halloween as we know it today.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 09:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct

How did it develop? The billion dollar confection industry, mostly. That's why we have Halloween as we know it today.

So? Fact remains, if Halloween was so abhorrent to Christians, Halloween would not have developed anyhow. It would not have been celebrated even with candy. Fact is that the majority of Christians saw (and still see) nothing wrong with letting their kids dress up into costumes and go door to door for candy.

Next thing you know, you all will be blaming the banning of Christmas on Christians saying conservative Christians don't want to celebrate a pagan holiday. It makes just as much sense.

Basically, there are and always have been far more Christians than any other religion in this country, so to try to blame antipathy toward a culturally entrenched holiday on that historical majority religion makes no sense.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: goou111

oh lame, i thought it was going to be because they were poor not because their parents are soul-sucking-fun-killers.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Jesus was a Capitalist.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Halloween has been destroyed and dead for well over a decade maybe two. I feel bad for kids with this absurd version of Halloween we have today. Might as well just accept it's eventual complete demise at this point.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 09:20 PM
link   

I'm not blaming Halloween on anyone, personally.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Jesus was concerned about souls and personal conduct not material wealth or politics.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

college halloween is still as strong as ever. Guys dress as ridiculous as ever, women dress as skimpy as ever.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk

originally posted by: Abysha
a reply to: goou111

Why is this viewed as a liberal thing? The only religious people I've met that are outspoken against Halloween are Christians.
Are you kidding me? Yeah in and year out its the left making an issue of Halloween.

Really? I agree with the previous poster. I grew up around fundamental Christians who thought Halloween was a tool of the Devil. No, I'm not kidding.

I've never heard a "liberal" complain about Halloween.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Maybe Halloween began as a pagan holiday. So what. It isn't any more. Now its a time for children of all ages to dress up in costumes and have fun. It is a holiday for no purpose other than to give people a break from the 9-5 and cut loose a little. Kids with their candy and playing dress up and adults with their costume parties and a little harmless titillation.

Who doesn't enjoy the little kids dressed up in their cute little costumes? And who doesn't enjoy a hottie in a sexy pirate costume? And it is a celebration of creativity. My 6 year old nephew came up with his own costume idea. It just may be one of the best kids costumes I have ever seen. His parents helped him make it, but it was all his idea. He went is going as a "Sharknado". It is one of the coolest costumes I have ever seen.

This is a holiday where once it may have had some religious element to it but no longer. I don't know anyone who considers the religious aspect of Halloween when deciding what costume to wear or what club or party they are going to. It is simply one of the few breaks people get once a year. And now some one has to ruin this too. What is the point? Really. What is this going to accomplish?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join