It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curious tilt of the sun traced to undiscovered planet

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
just my opinion - i is not an astronomer - but i am an engineer ,

and what utter twaddle

the forces required to have ANY effect on a body the mass of the sun - would have a massive effect on commets // the asteroid // kuiper belts and all the inner plannets - before even affecting the suns mass

oh - and it cannot be detected directly by any current telecope technology = the cherry on top

PS - i would welcome any coherent rebutall by someone who actualy understands astrophysics - who can explain to me why i am wrong

Your reasoning may not be wrong, but your premise is wrong.

This study is NOT saying that the Sun is tilted, so your point about the mass required to affect the Sun may be correct, but it is not relevant to what is being said by the study.

What the study says is that the plane on which the planets orbit is tilted relative to the Sun; the Sun itself is not tilted. The reason for the tilt of the orbits of the planets relative to the Sun is unknown/unproven, and this hypothesis about a potential Planet 9 being the cause of that tilt is what is being considered here.

edit on 2016/10/21 by Box of Rain because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I think readers are getting the Sun tilt idea from CalTech
"The large and distant planet may be adding a wobble to the solar system, giving the appearance that the sun is tilted slightly. "

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: UnderKingsPeak
I think readers are getting the Sun tilt idea from CalTech
"The large and distant planet may be adding a wobble to the solar system, giving the appearance that the sun is tilted slightly. "

Maybe. Even though the article in the OP states that he Sun appears tilted -- not that it is tilted, that nuance may have been lost on some readers.

Here's another article on the subject that is a little more clear about that aspect:

Did the Mysterious 'Planet Nine' Tilt the Solar System?

Except from the article:

Now, researchers suggest that Planet Nine's influence might have tilted the entire solar system except the sun.

"Planet Nine may have tilted the other planets over the lifetime of the solar system," said study lead author Elizabeth Bailey, an astrophysicist and planetary scientist at the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena.
(color emphasis mine)

edit on 2016/10/21 by Box of Rain because: (no reason given)

<< 1   >>

join