It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Duterte aligns Philippines with China, declares ‘separation’ from U.S.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Orwells Ghost

I think that Saudi Arabia has a big head start on this guy .Maybe its all about arms sales and China got the contract .

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: crimsongod21
You start wanting more power and more followers so you invade your neighbors and your neighbors neighbor.

Go look at a map and see where the Philippines is and then realise how silly your idea of invading other nations is, not only practically but also strategically.

Here's a hint of how stupid it is, "The Philippine Navy is currently operating 3 frigates. There are 11 active corvettes and 36 patrol boats, 18 amphibious landing ships and 10 auxiliary ships."

What an invasion that will be

To put things into comparison because you're so desperate to compare Duterte to Hitler

The allies used In the airborne landings on both flanks of the beaches, 2,395 aircraft and 867 gliders of the RAF and USAAF were used on D-Day. Operation Neptune involved huge naval forces, including 6,939 vessels: 1,213 naval combat ships, 4,126 landing ships and landing craft, 736 ancillary craft and 864 merchant vessels.

And it still took them almost a year to end the war AND the Russians beat them to Berlin

Duterte is no more dangerous than North Koreas lil Kim or the Saudi Kings & Princes or the numerous warlords in Africa

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Discotech

originally posted by: crimsongod21
You start wanting more power and more followers so you invade your neighbors and your neighbors neighbor.

Go look at a map and see where the Philippines is and then realise how silly your idea of invading other nations is, not only practically but also strategically.

Here's a hint of how stupid it is, "The Philippine Navy is currently operating 3 frigates. There are 11 active corvettes and 36 patrol boats, 18 amphibious landing ships and 10 auxiliary ships."

What an invasion that will be

To put things into comparison because you're so desperate to compare Duterte to Hitler

The allies used In the airborne landings on both flanks of the beaches, 2,395 aircraft and 867 gliders of the RAF and USAAF were used on D-Day. Operation Neptune involved huge naval forces, including 6,939 vessels: 1,213 naval combat ships, 4,126 landing ships and landing craft, 736 ancillary craft and 864 merchant vessels.

And it still took them almost a year to end the war AND the Russians beat them to Berlin

Duterte is no more dangerous than North Koreas lil Kim or the Saudi Kings & Princes or the numerous warlords in Africa

You're forgetting who they are aligning with...and exactly where they are positioned and what is right in their waters.

China, South China Sea (new military Islands), and the Reed Bank with massive oil and natural gas reserves.They don't need a military when they have China. They and China combined can lock up the South China Sea and build a damn land bridge for a canal if they wanted to.

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Yeah I get it, if we don't start WW3 with Russia then I guess we start WW3 with China because Duterte is the next Hitler....

The Chinese aren't stupid, neither are the Russians otherwise we'd already be in a world war no matter how close we are to it, it hasn't yet begun

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I don't think this fellow is under anybody's control, possibly not even his own. He's Trumpishly impulsive and given to making rash statements. I bet the Chinese aren't taking him very seriously.

He is probably afraid that Barack Obama is coming to get him for calling him an SOB, so he's gone to hide behind skirts of China for a bit.

If the US attempts regime change in the Philippines any time soon I will eat my hat.

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   

I had similar train of thought. Duterte himself is not a threat to the U.S. dominance in the region, but it's what he can offer China that is the danger to the current order.

If he is serious about this "realignment" and does indeed renege on the military support his predecessor offered the U.S., what's to stop him from in turn offering China a base of operations? There would be no need for China to construct any more artificial islands as they'd have the Philippines smack in the middle of the contested area, shoring up the South China Sea, and China's military reach would be that much farther.

I also note that scenario would put Chinese forces not only to the West but now the South of Taiwan.
edit on 20-10-2016 by Orwells Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Discotech

Yeah I get it, if we don't start WW3 with Russia then I guess we start WW3 with China because Duterte is the next Hitler....

The Chinese aren't stupid, neither are the Russians otherwise we'd already be in a world war no matter how close we are to it, it hasn't yet begun

The US is basically just letting the conflict get large enough that the members of government who have their hand in weapon production companies will have a LOT of contracts coming for production for a large war. All about the money really. If they squash a conflict too early there is not enough money in contracts for the officials involved to make it worth while. You let the conflict build and involve multiple entities THEN declare the conflict and begin process for tax payer dollars to be siphoned into manufacturing the materials of war.....LOT of money in that arena.

Once you have taken the area over then begin to "rape" the land and take over the natural resources provided....gas/oil/South China Sea control. Now as of March of this year there was a plan for the US to occupy 5 bases there:

Antonio Bautista Air Base. Located near the capital of the island province of Palawan, which is strategically located near the contested Spratly Islands in the South China Sea.

Basa Air Base. Located about 40 miles northwest of the Philippines' capital, Manila, the air base was originally constructed by the U.S. Army Air Corps before the Second World War.

Fort Magsaysay. Located on the northern Island of Luzon, Fort Magsaysay is the largest military installation in the Philippines, and is one of the primary training areas of the Philippine Army.

Lumbia Air Base. Located on the southern island of Mindanao, the air base is connected to a civilian airport. Local media reports say construction of a new U.S. facility will begin soon.

Mactan-Benito Ebuen Air Base. Located on Mactan Island of the coast of Cebu in the central Philippines. It was originally built by the U.S. Air Force before the American pullout in the early 1990s.

Source

If this agreement has been rebuked at this point I don't know. But if so, then it would be major cause for concern. It would mean that the US has more reason to take by force or "lean" on the Philippines more heavily.
edit on 10/20/16 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: flatbush71

Outstanding !!!
This is very important !!!

These are some of the finest people I ever had the opportunity to work with.
For me personally, this is heart breaking.
From a strategic point, it is devastating.

Buck

Hes about to be the deadest leader in history soon you mean. HIllary will see to that.

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Haha, get ready to bend over, China only benefits China.

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

While the idea of them actually invading is less than likely, my comparison still stands.

With the full force of China behind them, I would say he is vastly more dangerous, assuming this is more than just an economics agreement.

If China and any nation decided to roll out the war machines they would be a force to behold. It would take the full might of many different militaries to repel them as just the sheer numbers of China's military is astounding.

So in partnering with the phillapeans and presumably kicking the us military out that gives them a strategy location not only for the local area but also as a way point for a possible attack on any other location located in the pacific theater.

While I'm not advocating that we or any one else "liberate" the nation, I am saying that it is something worth keeping an eye on and seeing how far it develops.

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I was not surprised by this, but Duterte did it in a masterful way by gaining the PRChinese connexion, he can let the Chinese stare down the USA should the USA try to topple Duterte in some fashion. This is, of course, very bad for the USA, but it is a bed made by Obama and his government, so do not lose sight of the fact that it was Obama and Co. who consigned to the rubbish bin the USA's relationship with the Philippines.

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Orwells Ghost

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte announced his “separation” from the United States on Thursday, declaring he had realigned with China as the two agreed to resolve their South China Sea dispute through talks.

Duterte made his comments in Beijing, where he is visiting with at least 200 business people to pave the way for what he calls a new commercial alliance as relations with longtime ally Washington deteriorate.

“In this venue, your honors, in this venue, I announce my separation from the United States,” Duterte told Chinese and Philippine business people, to applause, at a forum in the Great Hall of the People attended by Chinese Vice Premier Zhang Gaoli.

“Both in military, not maybe social, but economics also. America has lost.”

Duterte aligns Philippines with China, declares ‘separation’ from U.S.

This Duterte fella is trouble. He seems to say what he wants to do and then actually goes out and does it for better or worse. Will this effectively deny the U.S.A the use of the Philippines as a staging area? Will it grant China the same military benefits the U.S.A has enjoyed in the region all these decades? This could seriously shift the balance of power in the South Pacific.

I think the major issue is...what has he traded for military alignment with China? Territorial disputes in the south china seas? The disputed area is one that the Chinese are harvesting giant clams and destroying the reefs that the Filipino fishermen use, in part, to feed the Filipino nation.

Another issue could be showing it's head in 5 years, when Duterte's reign is supposed to end. At that point he will have been in bed with China for years...let's see if he will roll out of the bed and into civilian life.
edit on 20-10-2016 by kelbtalfenek because: added information.

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   
He is the equivalent to Trump, but from Philipines.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Not So Fast

(CNN)Philippines officials have gone into damage control mode after controversial President Rodrigo Duterte said the country's long-term alliance with the United States was over. Philippines Trade Minister Ramon Lopez told CNN the country "would not stop trade and investment with the US." "(Duterte) has decided to strengthen further and rekindle the ties with China and the ASEAN region," Lopez said, referring to the Association of Southeast Asian Nations. There was widespread shock after Duterte announced his "separation" from the US, suggesting he would cut both economic and military ties, in favor of moving closer to Beijing. "America has lost now. I've realigned myself in your ideological flow," President Duterte told business leaders in Beijing on Thursday. "And maybe I will also go to Russia to talk to Putin and tell him that there are three of us against the world: China, Philippines and Russia. It's the only way." In a statement Friday, Duterte's office said the Philippines had no intention to renege on treaties or agreements with established allies. The President's comments were "an assertion that we are an independent and sovereign nation, now finding common ground with friendly neighbors with shared aspirations in the spirit of mutual respect, support and cooperation," the statement said.

CNN reported that..........but then again, its CNN. So who knows.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Substracto
He is the equivalent to Trump, but from Philipines.

lol maybe in terms of having diarrhea of the mouth however when it comes to killing people Clinton owns that one.

posted on Oct, 23 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Maybe the US and specifically Obama should have respected the Philippine people more and their choice for President. The only winners here are the Chinese.

posted on Oct, 23 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Substracto

Only in that he can't control what he says.

posted on Oct, 23 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

I don't think the us has said anything biblically or officially about him. I could have missed it though. Our bases in the region were to important to rock the boat per say. His issue with us is that we did born out right condone what he is doing to the citizens of his nation...

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 05:16 AM
link   
That was supposed to say publicly not biblically...autocorrect ftw....ha ha

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: crimsongod21

The last US public comment made was "perplexing" in reference to his "break up" with the US.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join