It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Navy fighter jet painted for Breast Cancer Awareness month

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Pretty in pink: Navy fighter jet painted for Breast Cancer Awareness month

The fight against breast cancer picked up a powerful new ally -- a retired US Navy fighter jet. And of course, it's pink. A Grumman F9F-8 Cougar, painted a vivid shade of pink called "Heliconia," has been unveiled on the flight deck of the World War II aircraft carrier USS Lexington, anchored at Corpus Christi, Texas.

Ok this story is kinda lite given the heaviness with the election coverage, but it's still filled with irony,imagine a death dealing flying machine that cares about breast cancer, I am not complaining mind you, if it helps it helps no foul no harm, but why not something else, I donno like a retired military ambulance or something, a medivac helo would be kool and perhaps more fitting.

Showoff planes This isn't the first time Cougars have been the center of attention. During their hay day in the 1950s, the Navy used single-seat versions of these planes to showoff their best pilots. The Navy chose the Cougar as the first swept-wing plane for the elite Blue Angels flight demonstration team.
edition.cnn.com...

Highlighted is the name of the craft called a Cougar , also a reference to ladies over 30 or 40 yes it's a coincidence but it's just another irony , can we stop militarizing everything, every problem is a war on something, a war on drugs, a war on crime , a war on poverty, the war to end all wars, no wonder we have frayed nerves and tension is at an all time high, we are at war with every damn thing including a bunch of nations most ppl don't really care about or hardly can find on a map , can we solve some issues without militarizing it.

edit on 20-10-2016 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Wait, 30 year old ladies are cougars?

Seriously?! Either im getting old or that seems a little on young side to be a cougar, i mean 39 maybe but 31?

Its a nice pink plane btw.
edit on b32321024 by Biigs because: Cant spell couger, augh i mean cougar

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I think the navy went overboard

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Biigs
Wait, 30 year old ladies are cougars?

Seriously?! Either im getting old or that seems a little on young side to be a cougar, i mean 39 maybe but 31?

Its a nice pink plane btw.

Actually I don't know the cut off age ma self..maybe late 30ts def over 40, divorcee or never getting hitched in the first place??
Yeah the color is on point tho.

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

So they paint a multi-million dollar murdering machine to promote "awareness" of breast cancer?

Seems a bit ironic to me..

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   

I'm not saying this thing has firepower and missiles on board (I don't think it does), but it is still a component to the larger Military Industrial Complex, and because of that I guess I'm a bit confused by it.

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   
There is a war on your pocketbook, who will win your money? (Where will you buy the products you need)

There is a war on your tv screen, who will get your viewership? (What stations will you pay for)

There is a war in the media, who will you reliably listen to? (News source of choice)

There is a war for your time, who will you spend it with? (Dating/marriage)

There is a war for your blood/sweat/tears, where will you work? (Job)

There is a war for your soul, who or what will you believe in? (Religion)

There is a war in your garden, will you get your produce and fruits or will mother nature? (farming / gardening)

"War" is a descriptive word we use, quite liberally. Much like we use the word "love", which people smear all over the place too.

I love these shoes, I love this ice cream, I love this car, book, movie, lip gloss, shampoo, taco, video game, etc.

I wish people would stop using the word "love" to describe how much they like inanimate objects.

There is a war for words, who can create the better arguments and sway people's opinions? (debate / discussion / elections)

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
I think the navy went overboard

Next they'll be dropping pink bombs with pretty little ribbons painted on them. Sheesh...

Cheers - Dave

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

I'm not saying this thing has firepower and missiles on board (I don't think it does), but it is still a component to the larger Military Industrial Complex, and because of that I guess I'm a bit confused by it.

No you were right the first time, they were in fact death dealing machines. .

They were used for various roles, including fighters, ground attack planes, photo reconnaissance, and training aircraft. During the Vietnam War, the two-seater version was used as a forward air control aircraft.
edition.cnn.com...

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Why does the Navy used powdered soap?

Takes longer to pick up when you drop it in the shower.

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 11:13 AM
link   
All flighter jets will looking like that once the PC, and SJW's takeover under a Hillary.

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I can just see the looks on their faces when civilian women get bombed.
First it would be terror, but then that terror would relax and turn into a smile. The last though through their head is "Now that im going to be killed, i can be glad it wasn't all for nothing. Maybe a survivor of this attack will walk away with 4 less limbs but an increased awareness of breast cancer-god bless you america"

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: dashen

Hahaha very funny, but we don't have open showers ma soap was always safe.

edit on 20-10-2016 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Ok... I started a response and then deleted it because I was ranting and rambling. But I just can't let this go. I'll try to organize my thoughts better. Also, this is not at all an attack on the OP. This is an attack on our society and pink washing.

[rant]
I'm a cancer survivor myself and I can't tell you how much "Pinktober" disgusts me.
-The exploitation of fighters and survivors is downright insulting. I didn't have breast cancer specifically, but I am still personally offended at the direction this entire "pink ribbon campaign" has gotten pulled by the corporations and advertisers.
-The downplaying of the severity and devastation caused by breast cancer has gotten out of hand. Painting it all pink is trying to make it softer and feminine. There's nothing soft and sweet about cancer. Take a look at some fighters/survivors; cancer plays dirty and dressing it up with a pink ribbon is a slap in the face.
-"Save the ta-tas" and "Save Second Base" are rude slogans, not cute or funny. It also distracts from the fact that breast cancer is not just about women, men get it too! Where's the push for them to get screened? I guess that's not as sexy.
-The companies that make cancer drugs are the same ones that promote the excessive testing that leads to millions of women having to undergo unnecessary procedures (lumpectomy, mastectomy, etc) and cancer treatments like chemo and radiation. So all this fundraising for "early screening" is causing more problems than it's solving.
-The lack of transparency about where the donated funds actually go. This is extremely hard to track, but most money raised doesn't end up where it's supposed to. Most of the pink items sold just make money for the corporations selling them.
-A huge portion of the products painted pink and marketed as "helping the cause" actually contain chemicals that have been proven to contribute to cancer! This is disgusting on so many levels.

Last year I even saw social media campaigns to "go braless for breast cancer awareness". WTF? How do you think it makes those women feel who no longer have breasts because they've been mutilated by cancer? hint: NOT GOOD. I have many friends who have been affected by breast cancer and not a single one of them supports any of this 'pink' nonsense.
Pink is a color, not a cure.
[/rant]

I'm sure I could go on all day about this, but I doubt any would care. Thanks to those who read my rant.

To bring it back to the original topic at hand... I think the plane was a poor choice as far as symbolism. What's this really doing to solve anything?

Also, there is no cure. Let's work on that, huh? I think at this point we're all "aware" of breast cancer...

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: lane24
Ok... I started a response and then deleted it because I was ranting and rambling. But I just can't let this go. I'll try to organize my thoughts better. Also, this is not at all an attack on the OP. This is an attack on our society and pink washing.

[rant]
I'm a cancer survivor myself and I can't tell you how much "Pinktober" disgusts me.
-The exploitation of fighters and survivors is downright insulting. I didn't have breast cancer specifically, but I am still personally offended at the direction this entire "pink ribbon campaign" has gotten pulled by the corporations and advertisers.
-The downplaying of the severity and devastation caused by breast cancer has gotten out of hand. Painting it all pink is trying to make it softer and feminine. There's nothing soft and sweet about cancer. Take a look at some fighters/survivors; cancer plays dirty and dressing it up with a pink ribbon is a slap in the face.
-"Save the ta-tas" and "Save Second Base" are rude slogans, not cute or funny. It also distracts from the fact that breast cancer is not just about women, men get it too! Where's the push for them to get screened? I guess that's not as sexy.
-The companies that make cancer drugs are the same ones that promote the excessive testing that leads to millions of women having to undergo unnecessary procedures (lumpectomy, mastectomy, etc) and cancer treatments like chemo and radiation. So all this fundraising for "early screening" is causing more problems than it's solving.
-The lack of transparency about where the donated funds actually go. This is extremely hard to track, but most money raised doesn't end up where it's supposed to. Most of the pink items sold just make money for the corporations selling them.
-A huge portion of the products painted pink and marketed as "helping the cause" actually contain chemicals that have been proven to contribute to cancer! This is disgusting on so many levels.

Last year I even saw social media campaigns to "go braless for breast cancer awareness". WTF? How do you think it makes those women feel who no longer have breasts because they've been mutilated by cancer? hint: NOT GOOD. I have many friends who have been affected by breast cancer and not a single one of them supports any of this 'pink' nonsense.
[/rant]

I'm sure I could go on all day about this, but I doubt any would care. Thanks to those who read my rant.

To bring it back to the original topic at hand... I think the plane was a poor choice as far as symbolism. What's this really doing to solve anything?

Also, there is no cure. Let's work on that, huh? I think at this point we're all "aware" of breast cancer...

here, here.
and all the pink paint wasted

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Some snowflake just wanted a pink jet. It's HAWT, and from now when people happen to google |pink jet| they'll get to see it. Imagine if they used the money for that hobby job on actual sick people.
edit on 20-10-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Nice show of support

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: lane24

[rant]

[/rant]

Kind of sounds like you are jealous that your cancer does not have a specific color that pulls in millions in donation money.

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Oh matches my Barbie town car.

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   
two years ago at the State of the Union Address President Obama tasked Joe Biden with curing breast cancer. Isn't he even getting close to curing it yet?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join