It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best English Zohar

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 05:24 AM
link   
I am going to purchase the Zohar because I love esoteric Judaism/Kabbalah.

The problem being I can't figure out what is the best translation. The Pritzker seems to be well spoken of but is not complete and I hear the Soncino lacks the esoteric information.

I am not interested in the Berg edition as it's known to be highly falsified, the Wisdom of the Zohar 3 volume set seems to be reputable.

Any suggestions, anyone?

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Nobody has any suggestions?

Damn.

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Malocchio

I am going to purchase the Zohar because I love esoteric Judaism/Kabbalah. The problem being I can't figure out what is the best translation. The Pritzker seems to be well spoken of but is not complete and I hear the Soncino lacks the esoteric information. I am not interested in the Berg edition as it's known to be highly falsified, the Wisdom of the Zohar 3 volume set seems to be reputable. Any suggestions, anyone?

I have the Soncino five volume hard copy from London - New York, translated by Harry Sperling and Maurice Simon and introduced by Dr. J. Abelson. The five volume set I have is the second edition --

The first printed editions appear in Mantua and Cremona in 1588-90. Later editions appear in Lunan 1623 - Anmsterdam in 1714 and 1805. Also Constantinople, Venice 1736. Nearly all editions are based upon Mantua text so in lite of this you may want to look into the Mantua text if you are interested in building a very good library as near to original as is available.

There is other literature also that may interest you. Research Tikkune Ha-Zohar which has the same subject matter as the Zohar and also Zohar Hadash (1597) ---

Years ago I had the chance to purchase a copy of Mantua and Cremona (1590) but as a young broke student had no means to do so. Building a library requires youth, money and love of study but the greatest reward is to share knowledge. LOL

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I dont mean this to be rude or condescending: As I told a friend, well before she became an OT professor, there is no BEST translation, and you need to learn biblical Hebrew.

You seem to wan the esoteric "stuff"; ok, after reading just about everything Gershom Sholem ever published, plus a multitude of other sources on the Kabbalah, I say look further east. When I noticed the chakra system in the Kabbalah, I knew "the tradition" was much older than 13th Century Spanish Jewish folk...

I still have yet to learn Sanskrit or even Hindi, but its in the "to do" pile.

Good luck with the research.

EDIT: There is no academic research I know of dating the Kabbalah earlier than the 13th century BCE (Sholem), the esoteric IS where its at and does show evidence of an earlier "tradition". This is where I went to Verdic texts, but you may wish to choose your own path. Its not explicitly mentioned in the Naj Hammadi texts, or DSS, but the tradition still existed... so where?. Further east.
edit on 20-10-2016 by PBL666 because: Further East

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Seede

Hey thanks, I am leaning towards the 5 volume Soncino and the Wisdom of the Zohar 3 volume set.

I have read Nurho de Manhar's Beresheth to Lekh Lekha and I was thrilled but it's not at all complete, I guess he never finished.

What do you know of Mathers Dzenoudata?

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: PBL666

How was that rude?

I am looking for input but I doubt I will ever learn Hebrew, although who knows? I hear it is not that hard and that would be ideal.

But I just want to have a reliable English version for now.

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Seede

Do you have the one with the candle on the cover or the ugly blue and red one?

Is there a difference?

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   

I had an old English copy of those sets but threw it away along with a tons of other literature you hold so deeply, once I got save.
edit on 20-10-2016 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn

I had an old English copy of those sets but threw it away along with a tons of other literature you hold so deeply, once I got save.

Well, aren't you the rats meow?

Do you like, just enjoy hating everything and insulting anyone who doesn't submit to your religio fascist approach to Christianity?

If you don't like books like the Zohar then you are just trolling a thread you have no interest in to announce your superiority for rejecting wisdom you can't comprehend.

You're so awesome.

I will continue to gain knowledge while you stew in your little pseudo-Christianity.
edit on 20-10-2016 by Malocchio because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

Seriously, do you think that anyone is interested in your negativity?

You think because you claim to have owned a book (you know you never did) and threw it away you deserve applause or a special place in heaven?

Zohar is a Torah Commentary that expounds them, not the work of Satan.

People who think rejecting wisdom is virtuous are the most decieved people on earth.

Gnosis will never be yours.

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Learning Hebrew, and learning biblical Hebrew are two different things, just so you know. Biblical Hebrew includes the vowels, in "modern" Hebrew they are assumed, this helps get the exact sound. It also helps having to learn the language, not just assume its conventions.

I would even consider starting with Arabic. The Israeli's I know (some are family) all call Arabic "Baby Hebrew", part of that is IDF propaganda indoctrinated into them, but part of that is the vowels are written (explicit) in Arabic. However there are PLENTY of sources available to learn biblical Hebrew (its taught to kids, so childrens books was how I learned as a teenager), its really quite simple compared to some languages.

If I still had one of those childrens books, I would send it to you, but time #s us is the worst ways.

The "learn Hebrew or get off my lawn" was what I did not want to convey nor receive. I am glad that was not what happened. I will continue to follow this thread, and contribute when applicable.

Best of luck with the journey, but before I end this comment: En Sof--the "limited" "god", this should help you understand the christophiles attacking. If that makes no sense, just ask.

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   

I lost my library (at least 4 generations) because of folk like you and your quest to "rule" everyone, spirituality will not be suppressed, no matter how many texts you burn.

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Being Muslim I actually do plan on learning Arabic, a Semitic language definitely similar to Hebrew and probably Syriac.

I was just reading some ancient Christian Syriac writings from the second century, interesting isht. I have an impressive collection of Apocrypha that most people will never lay eyes on. All of it, save very few texts.

I have 1,2,3 Enoch, Jasher, Jubilees, Philo, Nag Hammadi, Dead Sea Scrolls, Gospel of Barnabas, Pistis Sophia, Zend-Avesta, Ugaritic mythology. Testament of Solomon in Koine Greek.

I have a serious addiction to books.

edit on 20-10-2016 by Malocchio because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Interesting side note.

Ein Soph is the equivalent to Zoroastrian Zurvan Arkuna (Boundless Time) and both Alexandrian "Gnosticism" and Kabbalah are very similar if you have a keen eye.

Metatron=Mithras.

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: PBL666

I lost my library (at least 4 generations) because of folk like you and your quest to "rule" everyone, spirituality will not be suppressed, no matter how many texts you burn.

That makes me sad. Books are treasure.

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Malocchio

Interesting side note.

Ein Soph is the equivalent to Zoroastrian Zurvan Arkuna (Boundless Time) and both Alexandrian "Gnosticism" and Kabbalah are very similar if you have a keen eye.

Metatron=Mithras.

Yes!. "Gnostic" or "Hermetic" philosophies draw from their same environment, as do the "Zorro's"... The Temple of Fire in Zorro has many similarities with certain other places of pilgrimage in ABRAHAMic philosophy. Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem is one, yet the priests hold the "fire"... the smoke is well present... another site is/was (I was not allowed in because I was too dark skinned WTF!) the Temple Mount.

I dont know of any "smoking ceremonies" in Islam, but "smoke" is used throughout the world in esoteric rituals (this I know you know), but here in Australian indigenous "smoking ceremonies" its the release of D, M, T, that invokes the dreaming...

Again, I fully agree with the connection, it was thru Persia/Sumeria/Mesopotamia where this Verdic philosophy flowed, so Zorro is a great place to look. Also its interesting AF.

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Malocchio

originally posted by: PBL666

That makes me sad. Books are treasure.

I'm alive. I still have some pre-20th century books, but not my whole library. Annoyed but alive.

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   

I will admit that have had the Zend-Avesta for a year now and I have read a quarter of the three total books, it csn literally make your head spin sometimes but the footnotes are primo. I have the Wisdom of the East series version , though not the set as its about 23 books and literally means east when it says east as they covered everything and at the time it was a major accomplishment as nobody before translated or possessed the Zend-Avesta and Pahlavi texts of the Parsees.

But I have noticed a connection between the Kabbalah and Alexandrian Gnostic beliefs and the Holy Spirit/Vohu Manu and 7 spirits concepts also are Zoroastrian.

It's also a mirror of Hinduism sometimes as devas are demons and Arhriman may be a corruption of Brahmin but Persia and India did have a war.

Centuries later they would give them asylum from rising Islamic conquerers.

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Text a reply to: Seede Do you have the one with the candle on the cover or the ugly blue and red one? Is there a difference?

The five volume set that I have is totally blue with red flames on the face and is the 1978 second edition. I have not delved into it simply because I felt the same way as ChesterJohn stated. After my experience with Jesus I simply lost interest in most all literature other than the KJV and my Sepher. I use my Sepher for dead sea material, Jubilees, Jasher, Enoch and other outside literature. Otherwise the King James family keeps me pretty busy.

I have found [just me talking] that i cannot wrap my mind around other distracting literature and keep focused on the word of The Most High. It simply does not work for my brain to become cluttered with too much of too many things. But now that is just me talking. I know some people who are absolutely brilliant beyond belief in knowing languages as well as all sorts of rare literature but I do not have that gift. Then again too, I am several months from ninety and have lost a lot of recall. Not all people are like that but I try to use what I have left.

PBL666 appears to be very well educated in what you are looking for and I really envy people such as he/she is in mastering languages and recall in literature. I hope your search will lead you to the truth which is Jesus. LOL

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 06:39 PM
link   

I did just like the early Christians did they burned theirs however I simply took mine to the dump. If ever we meet I will introduce you to the man who owned and drove the truck that took them to the dump. Even he was amazed that I would throw away so many valuable books. I told him I didn't want those books to keep people away from Jesus as they did me. Now they burn in a Dump on Mount Haleakala in Maui Hawaii.
edit on 20-10-2016 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join