It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Hundreds of Deep Sea Vents Found Spewing Methane off US Coast

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Man can affect the temperature of earth, if it get to hot there is always nuclear winter.

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

A Nuclear Winter will come with its own set of problems.

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: djz3ro

I'm sorry, but I don't see how man can be blamed for this. The Earth heats, it cools, it's what it does plus we have all kinds of volcanoes going off above and below the oceans putting more junk into the atmosphere then man ever could.

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook
a reply to: paradoxious
What I wanna know is how long these "vents" have been there...........? Did they pop up and open recently as a result of warming or have they quietly been there for thousands of years?

originally posted by: tinymind
I'm with you on this one.
I'd also like to know why there is no mention of finding some way to capture and store this methane. It just seems like a waste to let it pollute the air when at least a pat of it could be made useful.

My thoughts on this are that since they've only comparatively recently been looking for things like these seeps, it's probably they have been occurring for millennia. By that I mean what else would be a plausible "trigger" to bring us into the current interglacial period?

As for capturing this methane, I would assume that there would be substantial diffusion of the methane into the surrounding sea water, and if we completely capped a seep, would that affect the warming of the methane hydrates there adversely; would that cause it to stop completely or migrate elsewhere? These seeps also span an area over 1000 miles long.

What would we do with it should be able to recover it? Combust it and release CO2? What then?

Anyhow, my main point in posting my prior reply to the OP was in consideration of the current state of affairs regarding CO2 limits. If this methane can account for the majority, if not all of the current warming trend, all the studies, talk and regulations in the world regarding CO2 in the atmosphere are made mostly moot- people have been chasing the wrong culprit, affecting things which will have no effect.

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

A lot of alarmist posts in this thread. Personally, I'd like to hear from anyone with professional/scholarly background in geology or natural sciences before we start talking about bugout bags...
edit on 20-10-2016 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   

But if the methane is truly the cause it will take a long time for us to hear about it. The world has been searching for a way to monetize carbon and that isn't likely to stop.

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: bonsaihorn

But if the methane is truly the cause it will take a long time for us to hear about it. The world has been searching for a way to monetize carbon and that isn't likely to stop.

That is a substantial implication rightfully gleaned from my post.

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Hillary will get us all killed in a nuclear war before we can die from methane.

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chance321

I'm sorry, but I don't see how man can be blamed for this. The Earth heats, it cools, it's what it does plus we have all kinds of volcanoes going off above and below the oceans putting more junk into the atmosphere then man ever could.

You are correct.....it is a natural process, however, I am of the belief that man is accelerating the process with his activities.

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Well, thank God for evolution then. Don't worry folks, in a few million years, life will be back to normal. Maybe we can leave some kind of a lasting message for the future humans instructing them to treat the planet with the utmost care and keep it a number one priority so it will continue to take care of them. If so or not, it will be that the earth will continue with it's cycles until it doesn't. I myself will continue to be as responsible and kind as possible in my lifestyle while consuming a few good brews occasionally, during my stay here on this still beautiful planet.
edit on 20-10-2016 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy
Well then we are all dead.

No way to get off planet and survive for basically forever in space or on the moon/mars until the earth is habitable again or mars is terraformed.

We all are dead anyway. We are supposed to die, it's normal. Nothing lasts forever. The Earth and all or most life on, and in it, has been destroyed countless times. There are people from Earth that will escape and continue off planet, NASA is a front. This doesn't necessarily fill me with the warm and fuzzies however. The kinds of people that have access to interstellar technology are the kinds of ass holes that most people wouldn't save from emoliation with there own urine, if you catch my drift. IMHO the only real hope for our planet and it's inhabitants as a whole is intervention from others.

edit on 20-10-2016 by 191stMIDET because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-10-2016 by 191stMIDET because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Here's an article from the BBC from August 2014. It seems to be happening all around the US. I'm going to research further to see if there is any further info available. If it's happening as fast as it appears, could we be in serious trouble in just a decade or two? Bolding below is mine.

Researchers say they have found more than 500 bubbling methane vents on the seafloor off the US east coast. The unexpected discovery indicates there are large volumes of the gas contained in a type of sludgy ice called methane hydrate. There are concerns that these new seeps could be making a hitherto unnoticed contribution to global warming.

The scientists say there could be about 30,000 of these hidden methane vents worldwide. Previous surveys along the Atlantic seaboard have shown only three seep areas beyond the edge of the US continental shelf.

The team behind the new findings studied what is termed the continental margin, the region of the ocean floor that stands between the coast and the deep ocean.

In an area between North Carolina and Massachusetts, they have now found at least 570 seeps at varying depths between 50m and 1,700m. Their findings came as a bit of a surprise.

"It is the first time we have seen this level of seepage outside the Arctic that is not associated with features like oil or gas reservoirs or active tectonic margins," said Prof Adam Skarke from Mississippi State University, who led the study.

www.bbc.com...

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords

Well, that's one they can't blame on humans.

Oh really! The world is warming (science). The oceans are absorbing far more heat than the land (science) and this heats up the frozen methane hydrates (science). These melt and release methane (science). DUH! Basic science DUH! Repeated ad nauseaum on the web and here on ATS but the skeptics stick their head so far up their rear end they are deaf and blind.

The world is screwed.

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 06:07 PM
link   

The methane releases cause the soil where the vent is to bubble and turn to quicksand very quickly.
Causing the soil to sink like a sinkhole.
Those are methane releases that were seen in Siberia.

edit on 20-10-2016 by mclarenmp4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: bonsaihorn
Can you explain exactly how this is the fault of humanity? How could we have prevented it? I suppose we could have built domes over the vents. Correct me if I am wrong, but there is no frozen layer at the bottom of the oceans preventing this release. There is not way mankind could have taken better care of Earth to prevent this.

Finding fault isn't what I'm concerned about. We may not have been able to prevent it. Although we certainly didn't need to help it along as much as we did. But it would have probably happened eventually anyway. Or it may have just stabilized without going into mass extinction levels. I don't think anyone can say for sure. But that's not the point.

By frozen methane what I'm talking about is this: Sorry if what I said earlier was confusing. I'm not an expert in this stuff.

Methane clathrate (CH4·5.75H2O) or (4CH4·23H2O), also called methane hydrate, hydromethane, methane ice, fire ice, natural gas hydrate, or gas hydrate, is a solid clathrate compound (more specifically, a clathrate hydrate) in which a large amount of methane is trapped within a crystal structure of water, forming a solid similar to ice.[1] Originally thought to occur only in the outer regions of the Solar System, where temperatures are low and water ice is common, significant deposits of methane clathrate have been found under sediments on the ocean floors of the Earth.
en.wikipedia.org...

I'm not trying to assign blame or anything for Climate Change. I'm not trying to support some political carbon tax BS or convince anyone of something like that. Whether or not humans have effected it or sped it up is like discussing who gets to sit where on the plane while it's crashing. Who cares at that point, we're all going to crash regardless of what seat you get. The only important thing to discuss is the reality of it, what can be done if anything, etc. But assigning blame is just a political waste of time.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 11:46 AM
link   
The biggest and nastiest of the 5 great extinction events on earth was the End Permian, 251 million years ago, 96% of species lost. It happened because of Rising Co2 levels wich then allowed frozen Methane to melt and release into the atmosphere causing a temperature increase and eventually suffocated the whole planet. Life didn't bounce back for 300 million years. Think about that, our planet was a poisonous sterile rock for 300 million years. Many Geologists believe we are currently in the 6th great extinction, I happen to agree. So looking at the world with a conspiratorial mind and keeping this information in that mind, to me it would seem we have an explanation as to why the elite have been poisoning humanity and the planet itself for profits. The elite have been trying like mad to get off this rock and perpetuate our species elsewhere before it's too late and they have needed every penny they can get there hands on to do so. I've been thinking about this for years and it is the only explanation as to the seemingly evil and illogical behavior of the ruling class. They know the Planet Earth and Humanity as we know it is doomed and they can't do anything about it so? PLAN:B Get the hell out of Dodge and hope for the best on the Moon, Mars, and hopefully some friendly ETI planets. Sorry folks, nothing lasts forever including our beautiful jewel of an ecosystem.
edit on 25-10-2016 by 191stMIDET because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: yorkshirelad

originally posted by: queenofswords

Well, that's one they can't blame on humans.

Oh really! The world is warming (science). The oceans are absorbing far more heat than the land (science) and this heats up the frozen methane hydrates (science). These melt and release methane (science). DUH! Basic science DUH! Repeated ad nauseaum on the web and here on ATS but the skeptics stick their head so far up their rear end they are deaf and blind.

The world is screwed.

Indeed.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 08:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: 191stMIDET
The biggest and nastiest of the 5 great extinction events on earth was the End Permian, 251 million years ago, 96% of species lost. It happened because of Rising Co2 levels wich then allowed frozen Methane to melt and release into the atmosphere causing a temperature increase and eventually suffocated the whole planet. Life didn't bounce back for 300 million years. Think about that, our planet was a poisonous sterile rock for 300 million years. Many Geologists believe we are currently in the 6th great extinction, I happen to agree. So looking at the world with a conspiratorial mind and keeping this information in that mind, to me it would seem we have an explanation as to why the elite have been poisoning humanity and the planet itself for profits. The elite have been trying like mad to get off this rock and perpetuate our species elsewhere before it's too late and they have needed every penny they can get there hands on to do so. I've been thinking about this for years and it is the only explanation as to the seemingly evil and illogical behavior of the ruling class. They know the Planet Earth and Humanity as we know it is doomed and they can't do anything about it so? PLAN:B Get the hell out of Dodge and hope for the best on the Moon, Mars, and hopefully some friendly ETI planets. Sorry folks, nothing lasts forever including our beautiful jewel of an ecosystem.

I also think this is the plan. It's also the reason why Politicians aren't doing anything to help the environment. They know that it's too late already.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 05:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: 191stMIDET
They know the Planet Earth and Humanity as we know it is doomed and they can't do anything about it so? PLAN:B Get the hell out of Dodge and hope for the best on the Moon, Mars, and hopefully some friendly ETI planets. Sorry folks, nothing lasts forever including our beautiful jewel of an ecosystem.

why would hoping for the best on mars be a good idea?????????

current technology requires continued supplies from earth to survive on mars.. but if they bug out they are expecting civilisation to stop functioning therefore no support.. its nothing but a slow agonizing and very very lonely death where no one will remember you.

they stand a much much higher chance of survival by staying on Earth even with such terrible conditions..

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Wow, it looks like it's finally happened. I thought we would have more time. I guess I was wrong.

I was about to say that I should learn from this mistake and be more careful in vetting my information in the future, but then it occurred to me that it's really too late to say that as well. This could easily be the last straw, and we may not have much time left to make amends. So I guess I'll just apologize to everyone for being so wrong. I really did expect us to have more time...

Oh, I suppose I should mention I wasn't talking about Global Warming... I was talking about humanity's return to the Dark Ages. When scientists discover methane vents that were previously unknown and public opinion quickly shifts to it being caused by carbon dioxide... well, folks, that looks like we have finally abandoned all critical thought and logical reasoning. The good news is we might have just escaped all our worries about a coming nuclear war. I'm not sure at this point that most humans can figure out how to push a button.

How long have these vents gone unnoticed?

Who cares? It's OUR FAULT BECAUSE CARBON DIOXIDE! DUH!

Wow...

TheRedneck

new topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join