It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Hundreds of Deep Sea Vents Found Spewing Methane off US Coast

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 11:55 PM
link   
500 new Methane Seeps have been discovered along the coasts of Cali, Oregon, and Washington on the US West coast. Scientists are now studying the area to get a baseline of just how extensive the area is and just how much the vents are affecting us now and how much in the future. Scientists are hoping to map the East coast inn the search for more.

Methane is gushing forth from hundreds of newly-discovered deep-sea vents all along the US’s western seaboard. “It appears that the entire coast off Washington, Oregon and California is a giant methane seep,” says Robert Ballard, founder and director of the Ocean Exploration Trust in Connecticut. In all, 500 new seeps were discovered by submersibles operated from the trust’s ship, Nautilus (see video below). The discovery will be presented this week in New York at the National Ocean Exploration Forum. However, there’s still work to be done to pin down the exact composition of the bubbles coming from the seeps. “Members of our group are analysing the samples taken in June for a wide range of gases,” says Robert Embley, chief scientist on the Nautilus.

I think this is a troubling sign. The article doesn't go into depth for just how bad methane and methane hydrates are for the environment; except to say that they trap heat 40 times better than Carbon Dioxide. However, I think that the implication(s) for the environment are far worse than just more heat, assuming that this is a new development to the environment where these vents are found.. What says ATS?

www.newscientist.com...
edit on 19-10-2016 by lostbook because: word add

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Wouldn't it be fascinating if they found the volume of methane in these seeps reaching the surface could account for most every percent of every degree the Earth's temperature average has risen?

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 12:05 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Well, that's one they can't blame on humans.

edit on 20-10-2016 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Methane Spewing off US Coast

-Time to BugOut. .Game Over Man, GAME OVER

edit on 20-10-2016 by AttitudeProblem because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 12:36 AM
link   
a reply to: AttitudeProblem

Oscar is cool.

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 12:49 AM
link   

That's exactly right. The Permian Extinction was the largest global killer in history. If it happens again, which is what it looks like is happening, it is Game Over.

Too bad we can't yet Bug Out of it without somewhere else to go.

Once these other hydrocarbons start heating up the earth along with the CO2 it gets even faster and faster. I believe the Permian Extinction went to a 6 degree change and ended up killing something like 90% of all life on earth.

Enjoy the time you have still folks. Tell your kids and grand kids sorry you didn't take care of earth better before bringing them in to the world because they'll be the ones who suffer through most of it.

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 12:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

That's exactly right. The Permian Extinction was the largest global killer in history. If it happens again, which is what it looks like is happening, it is Game Over.

Too bad we can't yet Bug Out of it without somewhere else to go.

Once these other hydrocarbons start heating up the earth along with the CO2 it gets even faster and faster. I believe the Permian Extinction went to a 6 degree change and ended up killing something like 90% of all life on earth.

Enjoy the time you have still folks. Tell your kids and grand kids sorry you didn't take care of earth better before bringing them in to the world because they'll be the ones who suffer through most of it.

Perhaps that's why we are suddenly rushing to start building on mars and the moon and on the belt.

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 01:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Tjoran

That was my feelings about it as well.

All of a sudden they sure seemed to want to populate somewhere off planet.

It wouldn't shock me to find out that the whole phasing out of NASA as we once new it was simply changing it over to a non-public space program with more emergency missions being done in secret.

Now they're openly talking about putting people on mars and even living in space in space colonies.

Doesn't take too much thinking to connect those dots. We've past the points of no return and they know what is in our future. All that can be done now is to try and make some extra time and extra life boats before jumping ship and watching her go down. The wheels are in motion and you can't stop it. You might be able to slow it a little but who knows how much or how much difference it will make.

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 01:13 AM
link   
So wait. The "Big One" megaquake goes off in Cascadia, and sets off a massive methane release as the underlying larger pockets of the stuff rupture along the fault with the quake. So now it's not only tsunami coming their way, but a potential explosion so big it could wipe out the entire coastline. Nice.

Now if only we could get this near Washington DC, and maybe the Trump/Clinton threads would finally stop. A joyous day that will be.

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 01:30 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican

I'm not talking about an explosion from the methane. What I'm talking about is the release of massive amounts of hydrocarbon waste which is just below the surface. It's a process of feedback processes that once they get going cause a change to earth which wipes out life and changes the surface of the planet for a very long time while it recovers. That's what the Permian Extinction or Great Die Off was.

Typically there is a frozen layer under the surface which keeps the hydrocarbon waste just sitting there. But as the CO2 warms the planet and ice melts off and the planet temp rises eventually that frozen layer melts and releases that into the air too along with the CO2. This increases the rate of the temp rising. Which in turn causes more ice to melt and more pockets of methane to be released, and so on and so on. It's an exponential cycle of feedback loops which at a certain point becomes unstoppable.

All the signs are already being seen and have been for at least a few years already. We've passed the 400ppm limit of CO2 already. The earth has warmed up I think 4 degrees already. Methane is being released. Extinction of species is happening at a rate 1000 times faster than normal. Sea Algae is dying off. Etc. Etc. The Permian Extinction I believe went critical at around 6 degree warm up. That's when all hell broke loose and things went south real fast. We're not far from there now ourselves and when it hits hold on to your ass!!

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 01:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tjoran

Perhaps that's why we are suddenly rushing to start building on mars and the moon and on the belt.

bugging out to mars or the moon would probably still be more hostile than trying to survive on earth in such events.

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 01:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: choos

originally posted by: Tjoran

bugging out to mars or the moon would probably still be more hostile than trying to survive on earth in such events.

Correct. IMHO.

I believe we'd survive, but society as we know it? No. It'd be a disaster. Millions would die, maybe many more. Lots of extinctions. (I'm referencing the possibility of a rapid runaway greenhouse affect, perhaps instigated by an explosive venting of frozen undersea methane by rising temperatures.)

The last study I looked at showed maybe 800 ppm CO2 by 2100. And that's big. I don't know enough about climate to speculate the full implications, but it's scary. It'd be a shock to the system. These kinds of CO2 levels were present millions of years ago, far as I know. And the planet was a different place back then. For us to make this kind of change in a mere hundreds of years is staggering, and it can't be understated how potentially dangerous our actions are. However, amplifying paranoia and extreme environmentalism isn't good either. We need an economy to combat these problems. I think we have to accept some maneuvering and shortcomings on our part.

Personally I feel we'll develop the technology to engineer our planet, but it might come at great cost. This might seem overly optimistic to some, who think we should prevent these things, not engineer them, but I feel it's more practical. We just can't prevent everything and as a result we're going to engineer our way out of a lot of things. Prevention is still important. We should start by cleaning up our coal emissions. Not only will that benefit the climate, but coal is a major killer of people across the world. Nuclear is a peacekeeper by comparison, killing far fewer and emitting less CO2. Read below for more.

climate.nasa.gov - Coal and gas are far more harmful than nuclear power...
edit on 10/20/2016 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Well then we are all dead.

No way to get off planet and survive for basically forever in space or on the moon/mars until the earth is habitable again or mars is terraformed.

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 01:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords
a reply to: lostbook

Well, that's one they can't blame on humans.

Don't be so sure. This is happening because the CO2 emissions have heated up the planet enough that the layer that keeps the methane frozen is now melting and releasing it. We are not off the hook...

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Remember those mysterious sinkholes in Russia.
Maybe trapped methane exploding, sparked by firestone?

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 02:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: 0bserver1
Remember those mysterious sinkholes in Russia.
Maybe trapped methane exploding, sparked by firestone?

You mean those perfectly round, perfectly smooth holes? Without a shaped explosion I can't see how methane exploding would create uniform holes every time. Then of course there's the matter of ejecta, which would be scattered all around the area of the holes, think of the amount of debris would be thrown out of those massive, deep holes. And, if that wasn't enough to snuff out your theory, the methane isn't of a concentration that it would ignite or explode, merely suffocate the planet and heat things up...

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 06:21 AM
link   
a reply to: paradoxious

What I wanna know is how long these "vents" have been there...........? Did they pop up and open recently as a result of warming or have they quietly been there for thousands of years?

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 06:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

What I wanna know is how long these "vents" have been there...........? Did they pop up and open recently as a result of warming or have they quietly been there for thousands of years?

I'm with you on this one.
I'd also like to know why there is no mention of finding some way to capture and store this methane. It just seems like a waste to let it pollute the air when at least a pat of it could be made useful.

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 06:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: tinymind

originally posted by: lostbook

I'm with you on this one.
I'd also like to know why there is no mention of finding some way to capture and store this methane. It just seems like a waste to let it pollute the air when at least a pat of it could be made useful.

Yeah, let's capture it and make some use of it. I also wonder if Obama's Interplanetary Frontier Directive has anything to do with this? There seems to be a mad rush to get off Earth. www.abovetopsecret.com...

If so, then that means scientists have known about the Methane/Methane Hydrates but are keeping quiet.
edit on 20-10-2016 by lostbook because: word add

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 07:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm
Enjoy the time you have still folks. Tell your kids and grand kids sorry you didn't take care of [Earth] better before bringing them in to the world because they'll be the ones who suffer through most of it.

Can you explain exactly how this is the fault of humanity? How could we have prevented it? I suppose we could have built domes over the vents. Correct me if I am wrong, but there is no frozen layer at the bottom of the oceans preventing this release. There is not way mankind could have taken better care of Earth to prevent this.
edit on 10 20 2016 by bonsaihorn because: Formatting Nazi

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join