It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Place To Hide This Election

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 05:11 PM
link   
So unfortunately this election cycle has been rather less than stellar, making everyone going after each others throats, or talking to others about how they are going to go after someone's throat, it's pretty hard to avoid unless you live in some place like Antarctica or say North Korea. Pretty much no mater where you go, especially here in the US, you see stuff:

Trump signs. Hillary signs, God Help Us All signs.......I turn on the news and pretty much get told how Trump is EVIL and Hillary is a goddess I'm suppose to pray to, and if I don't vote for her I'm a racist bigot that hates women......I go to my Facebook feed and I have friends who are Trump supporters telling me how EVIL Hillary is, and how Trump is going to fix EVERYTHING by god! That I should vote for him else I'm a supporter of a treasonous criminal who wants my guns!

So I come to ATS and.....well......ATS puts both the news and Facebook to shame on the above.

So where to go where there is not so much conflict? Where there is really no politics to speak of. Where I can explore and have fun?

Well, for me lately it's been in the Kerbal Space Program!

No politics! No elections! No threads to moderate!

I've been getting back to KSP. Since version 1.2 came out, there have been all sorts of interesting things to see, do and build:

I've been busy starting to build my own space stations in orbit about Kerbin, with grand plans of having a refueling station there:

I've been re-learning how to get ships into orbit again, with many of them exploding (nope, sorry, no UFOs flying by and making them explode. I looked):

Everything is coming along nicely!

They've added some new science experiments which is cool, but that have also added mining! You can now mine the moons of Kerbin and other planets! You can survey them for ores too!

So while the rest of the world is busy watching tonight's debate (including my wife), I will be busy blowing up rockets and sending Kerbals to the great Unknown!

I've already picked my candidate.

For those unfamiliar with KSP, here's a short video of it I did a couple of years ago. I used the theme to Mission: Impossible for it:

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Civ 6. This Friday. I am waiting ... In fact, I really can't wait.

Who needs to choose a president when you can just be your own tyrant?

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I LOVE the CIV franchise.

Best game in history (pun intended).

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

As far as space goes, I do still play No Man's Sky on occasion. I actually find it relaxing and enjoy making up names for things. There is a zen to just going places and seeing things.

I'll have to keep yours in mind though as my kiddo grows. He's a builder, so this one might suit him.

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Civ 6. This Friday. I am waiting ... In fact, I really can't wait.

Who needs to choose a president when you can just be your own tyrant?

There you go!

Grab life by the throat! Tell everyone YOU are in charge!

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   

I bought it (KSP) last week in the sale on Steam as it had been on my wishlist for quite some time, clocked up 90 hours on career mode so far

Never realised how addictive it would be and how complex it is

It actually got me watching some Let's plays in full on youtube for the first time just so I could understand what the hell I'm supposed to do

Furthest I've been so far is in orbit on the Mun, have done some missions to send satellites there too so I have a nice relay network set up

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   
In the coming week(s) I will be playing Stellaris after the new update comes out. I'm mostly hoping for better AI. I'll wait and read some reviews about the DLC launching alongside the patch before I decide to buy it or not.

Also, I will be spending a few days playing Total War : Warhammer after the new dwarf and orc add-on is released.

I also have my eyes on Space Hulk : Deathwing. If it seems to play like Vermintide (but in space with space marines vs tyranids), I will probably pick it up.

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

I've been playing since version 0.2 I think it was? For almost 3 years now. They've changed and added a LOT of things. Used to be there was only Sandbox and Science modes. Career is a new thing they added with 1.0.

Used to be you never really had to worry about re-entry heat, they've changed that now. Do it wrong and you BURN, heheh.

Of course you can turn it off, and that's one thing I really like about KSP is how customized you can make your game difficulty.

Furthest I've been is Jool. One of it's moons is like Kerbin: Habitable.

Here's two more vids I did, the first one is me getting to Duna, all just music in the back ground. The second one I talked about some crazy rocket builds I did. It's a lot longer:

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Lets see.. What I will be doing instead of watching the debate, and have been doing to avoid the whole can-o-crap.

World of Warcraft: Legion - Just completed the 1st Pathfinder achievement, got my underlight fishing pole, and my ilevel is 850. Now time to work on an Alt toon, 'cuz not much else to do 'til the next Raid comes out. (Or help friends).

I also have over 100 games on Steam to choose from.

Also going to be moving some of the my stuff over to Linux. Need to check out the new Ubuntu 16.04LTS, and Tails.

Also moving the "Den" to a different part of the apartment.

There is also this toenail fungus I should deal with, and shampooing my cats, grow my hair out, or volunteer to be eriktheawful's Kerbals...

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I'm on a weird retro style shmup kick. They're cheap. They challenge my aging reflexes. And they satisfy in ways many modern sensibility games just don't anymore for me. And Steam is packed with indie and doujin takes on the genre that are often under a buck, so it fits my budget too. :p

Peace.

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cygnis
or volunteer to be eriktheawful's Kerbals...

....did I mention my Kerbals have a rather.....ahem......high mortality rate???

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Wow, KSP is really coming along! Haven't played it in about a year, looks so much more polished.

Cant put down Rimworld right now though, sooooooooo amazing.

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: nightbringr

Is it? I have it on my wishlist. It sounded like something I'd get into.

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: nightbringr

Thanks!

I'd completely forgotten about Rimworld!

Now I'll have place to escape to after the elections!

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 08:07 PM
link   

I wished I'd bought it earlier but I'm a little wary of Early Access games, I'm surprised how much I enjoy it to be honest as I'm usually put off by games that lack eye candy. Still got Overwatch to play as well which is another game I didn't expect to like but having played the poor mans free Overwatch (Paladins) it was another type of game I found I'd enjoy (love FPS but prefer 64 player games), I still struggle to play more than 1 game though I usually binge on a game until I get bored and move onto another but I'm trying to juggle KSP, Overwatch and Football Manager 2016 currently with a bit of Far Cry Primal every now & then. I'll probably give Skyrim another run as well when we get the Special Edition for free (only if you have all the original DLC)

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

I'm bouncing around between Fallout 4, Fallout Shelter and KSP right now.

Having fun with all, mostly waiting on Mass Effect 4 to come out, heh.

That and hoping Bethseda finally gets Elder Scrolls VI out at some point.

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 09:36 PM
link   

I misread the title and thought the L in election was an R.

Im not gonna lie, i laughed.

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Lol..
I think I'm going to my gaming mode for a bit as well. All i see on TV are political ads.
Now i don't have a Laptop or Tower computer. So i indulge into YT videos, mostly gaming channel.
I think I've ask you before, about a game that's still in beta. It is called "Totally Accurate Battle Simulator". It takes a little bit of strategy, and laughter from there. And you love laughing in your videos.😉
Here ya go..

landfall.se...

Give it a go👍
Both Markiplier and Jackseptieye have game play as well.

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 05:35 AM
link   

I am really awaiting the arrival of Uncharted 4 in the form of a Christmas Present. In the mean I am replaying bits of Wolfenstein: The Old Blood and the Uncharted Collection. I will come back to GTA5 as well in due time.

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 05:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful

originally posted by: Cygnis
or volunteer to be eriktheawful's Kerbals...

....did I mention my Kerbals have a rather.....ahem......high mortality rate???

Might as well contribute to the grand scheme of yours, at least there would be some excitement before the screams of horror. LOL

The alternative, appears to be turning into a zombie, and drooling.

new topics

top topics

join