It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

ESA ExoMars Trace Gas Orbiter ‘very likely’ in orbit around Mars

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Barring unexpected problems the ExoMars Trace Gas Orbiter has just entered orbit around Mars , soon the sniffing will begin.

As it stands right now the Schiaparelli lander has not made contact with mission control but data confirms the spacecraft entered the atmosphere and deployed its parachutes.
Live feed at link below.
www.theguardian.com...

Fingers crossed for the lander.

Tweet from the orbiter

I'm doing science and I'm still alive
twitter.com...

edit on 19-10-2016 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   
"The waaaaaiting is the hardest part."- Tom Petty

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Here's a live stream feed if anyone is interested:

Live Feed

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
Barring unexpected problems the ExoMars Trace Gas Orbiter has just entered orbit around Mars , soon the sniffing will begin.

As it stands right now the Schiaparelli lander has not made contact with mission control but data confirms the spacecraft entered the atmosphere and deployed its parachutes.
Live feed at link below.
www.theguardian.com...

Fingers crossed for the lander.

Tweet from the orbiter

I'm doing science and I'm still alive
twitter.com...

Yeah, i remember Beagle-2, only us Brits could come up with that landing solution, at least this one has rockets to slow its descent ......... fingers crossed
edit on 2016-10-19T12:30:11-05:002016Wed, 19 Oct 2016 12:30:11 -0500bWednesday3010America/Chicago1612 by corblimeyguvnor because: typo

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Still waiting for news of Schiaparelli lander.

The team expect to know more in an hour or two.

Teams monitoring the Schiaparelli lander continue waiting for indication of the lander’s progress.
Recording of the lander’s beacon signal during descent by ESA’s Mars Express orbiter was inconclusive. Engineers are waiting for the next signal receipt slot, which will be provided by NASA’s Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, which will overfly the Schiaparelli landing site between about 18:49 and 19:03 CEST, and downlink any received signals at around 20:00 CEST.
www.esa.int...

edit on 19-10-2016 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Still waiting for news of Schiaparelli lander.

The team expect to know more in an hour or two.

Teams monitoring the Schiaparelli lander continue waiting for indication of the lander’s progress.
Recording of the lander’s beacon signal during descent by ESA’s Mars Express orbiter was inconclusive. Engineers are waiting for the next signal receipt slot, which will be provided by NASA’s Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, which will overfly the Schiaparelli landing site between about 18:49 and 19:03 CEST, and downlink any received signals at around 20:00 CEST.
www.esa.int...

I thought they did say the parachute/s deployed.

Edit, Lander/Rover more info at 10am tomorrow.
edit on 19-10-2016 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

The Mars Express measurement confirms that the signal from the lander stopped before the landing.

I'm not saying it's Aliens but.... it was probably NASA jamming the signal as they don't want competition on Mars and they clearly don't trust ESA's photoshopping abilities for any images they may get of Mars surface
edit on 19/10/16 by Discotech because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Still no sign of Schiaparelli , the wait continues.

A series of windows have been programmed to listen for signals coming from the lander via ESA’S Mars Express and NASA’s Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO) and Mars Atmosphere & Volatile Evolution (MAVEN) probes. The Giant Metrewave Radio Telescope (GMRT) also has listening slots.
www.esa.int...

The curse of Mars strikes again ?

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Still no sign of Schiaparelli , the wait continues.

A series of windows have been programmed to listen for signals coming from the lander via ESA’S Mars Express and NASA’s Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO) and Mars Atmosphere & Volatile Evolution (MAVEN) probes. The Giant Metrewave Radio Telescope (GMRT) also has listening slots.
www.esa.int...

The curse of Mars strikes again ?

Maybe it landed on top of Beagle 2 and it broke.

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 03:27 AM
link   
I just watched the beginning of the press conference, and they said that TGO is OK but something went wrong with Schiaparelli at the end of the parachute phase.

They are analysing the data they have but haven't reached a conclusion about what happened.

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 04:51 AM
link   
It appears Schiaparelli is lost , ESA say telemetry data shows the parachute was jettisoned too early and the landing rockets on the probe fired for too short a time.

This shows that everything was fine as the probe entered the atmosphere. Its heatshield appeared to do the job of slowing the craft, and the parachute opened as expected to further decelerate the robot.

But it is at the end of this parachute phase that the data indicates unusual behaviour. Not only is the chute jettisoned earlier than called for in the predicted timeline, but the retrorockets that were due to switch on immediately afterwards, fire for just three or four seconds. They were expected to fire for a good 30 seconds.
In the downlinked telemetry, Schiaparelli is seen to continue transmitting a radio signal for 19 seconds after the apparent thruster shutoff.
www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 05:54 AM
link   
ESA should outsource to NASA. NASA pretty good at landing there.

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 06:10 AM
link   

It appears Schiaparelli is lost , ESA say telemetry data shows the parachute was jettisoned too early and the landing rockets on the probe fired for too short a time.

This shows that everything was fine as the probe entered the atmosphere. Its heatshield appeared to do the job of slowing the craft, and the parachute opened as expected to further decelerate the robot.

But it is at the end of this parachute phase that the data indicates unusual behaviour. Not only is the chute jettisoned earlier than called for in the predicted timeline, but the retrorockets that were due to switch on immediately afterwards, fire for just three or four seconds. They were expected to fire for a good 30 seconds.
In the downlinked telemetry, Schiaparelli is seen to continue transmitting a radio signal for 19 seconds after the apparent thruster shutoff.
www.bbc.co.uk...

Quick summary;

SPLAT

www.esa.int...

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Retro rockets, either didn't fire at all or fired for full duration. Those are solid rocket fueled. That means they cannot switch off before the fuel is burned out.

ESA stories smell like conspiracy theories.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 02:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Flanker86

Those are solid rocket fueled.

False.

The liquid propulsion system will be activated to reduce the speed to less than 7 km/h when it is 2m above the ground. At that moment the engines will the switched off and the lander will drop to the ground.

exploration.esa.int...

ESA stories smell like conspiracy theories.
To those who are ignorant, perhaps.

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Well, looks like they found it

www.space.com... c_514630

The impact site is clear enough, but I'm intrigued by the white dot that appears south of it.

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: OneBigMonkeyToo

They said it was the parachute so that worked well

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: wmd_2008

Acme parachute company?

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: OneBigMonkeyToo
Well, looks like they found it

www.space.com... c_514630

The impact site is clear enough, but I'm intrigued by the white dot that appears south of it.

Parachute?

Heat shield? (although I think that came off early in the descent and wouldn't be that close)

Top half of Aeroshell? (although I think that remain attached to the parachute)

posted on Oct, 23 2016 @ 12:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

I asked the question on the Space.com site that I got the image from and someone there responded saying parachute and back shell. That bit of it seems fine, so maybe keeping one of them attached to the other would have been a good idea

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join